TEMECULA OFFROAD RACING >

TEMECULA OFFROAD RACING

TEMECULA OFFROAD RACING

Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/10 electric stock?

Hey Guys.

I am an old Grasshopper driver interested in getting back in the scene (going to pick up a Slash as recommended by the folks at Hobby Town in SM).

My question for you guys is, how often are there 1/10 stock races at ARC Speedway in Temecula? I know that in order to get out there, I need some time to practice but I am interested in gaining some information now.

Also, what do you need to successfully race up there? What are you guys bringing in terms of extra parts?

Any insights would be appreciated. Looking forward to being an active participant and another SD county racer (located in San Marcos).

Thanks!

Matt
Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Hey Matt,

We Race slash's alot at ARC. Mostly stock. Just bring your slash and some batteries and have a great time. I know of at least 4 that were given as christmas presents so that should make the class even bigger.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default Batteries

Tech5,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I am looking forward to it!

Also, how many batteries would you recommend? I am getting one as part of my combo package with the Slash (don't know the model number or how long it will last).

How long do the races typically last? Also, I am assuming that the batteries need to be changed out quite frequently in the pit.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Depending on what type batteries are used will determine how many are needed. If your going to be running standard stick packs then I would recomend at least 3 packs for a night of racing. Lipo batteries are a different story. I am not familliar with them too much. There are plenty of electric guys on here that can give you advice on a decent lipo setup. Have fun and I will see you at the track!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If you're going to get a lipo you're only going to need one pack, two if you want to do a lot of practicing. With a stock Slash I'd recommend a 2s 5000 pack, lots of run time. Just throw it on the charger between heats and you'll be set. Lot's of companies sell them with Traxxas connectors already installed. You will have to buy a lipo charger though. Venom sells a great one, here's a link. For the time being, regular NiMH stick packs will be a lot cheaper. Oh, and the Slash works great with 8.4 volt 7 cell packs too, little bit faster.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

About the Slash class, I've brought up some ideas before and so have some other people but I really think we should try some out. First, I think we should run a shortened track. The smaller track prevents the field from spreading out and can make racing a lot more fun. The whole thing with full fender off road is that we can bump and rub. A closer field (even if it's lapped traffic) allows that to happen. Also, lets run the course backwards. Only the modded Slashes can clear the jumps so instead of teching the cars we can "tech" the track. Even modded cars can't do the jumps backwards, everyone will have drive slower and it will level the field some more.
Lastly, a more exciting start. Motocross or a close stagger (in reverse order!) would be sweet!

Or, and Dan would have to set this up, there is a way to stagger the start so that we all finish at almost the same time (based on qualifying). For example, in the qual. , car 1 does 5 laps, car 2 does 6 and cars 3 does 7, all in 5 min. So in a 10min main, car 1 would take off and start, car 2 would be waiting for Dan to say go (around the time car 1 finishes lap 2, the computer figure out the exact time) and 2 would be playing catch up. The same goes for car 3. That way, in the final minute or so, all cars should be close to a win! The better drivers have to make up the time and anyone could win. It's like a rally. It's a bit extreme I know, especially for the true racers, but definitely more exciting.

What do you guys think? I really think a shortened track is most important, and it's easy to do.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Stick Pads

Matthew,

The combo I was looking at buying comes with the Tower Hobbies AC/DC digital peak charger and a 6 cell 7.2volt 1500mah NiCD Stick Std Plug battery. What other batteries would be a good fit and is this a decent enough charger?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

I like the idea of a shortend track for the slash class. We need to have a box stock class though. No aftermarket anything!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default Box stock

Tech5,

When you mean "box stock" you mean only with whatever the car initially comes with, right? All you would need to do is bring extra batteries.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

i like the sound of the handycap race..making the faster cars come from behind.
that sounds like the most fun for the slash class...even though i dont drive one it gets my vote.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

gig21....how much do you have to spend on batteries? A 1500mah battery is on the low side. Tell me what you have to spend and I will give my best advice.lipo is the way to go but other issues are introduced , like a lipo charger and overall cost. There is a hobbyshop in hong kong that sells Lipo's cheap, Hobby City, just google zippy batteries and they will come up. They are reliable and credible...no issues. They have cheap power, supplies chargers, lipos's etc. Get a 5000mah lipo 2,3,cell and run for at least an hour with the stock slash motor.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

I agree with the shorter track for the slash class, also there does need to be some rules. - Box stock is OK and that seems to be what the national movement is. If nothing else we need to have Stock tires and stock suspension lengths. It does not matter how much power you have if you can't turn it into traction.
Dig - I would avoid the 1800 Nicad battery and get at least a 3000 NIMH battery - you will be much happier with that than the 1800. Support the local hooby shops if you can - Go see Mike, Robert or Glen at the Hobbytown in Temecula - they all have Slash's and Race also and can set you up.

Avoid the cheap Lipo's they are not all that they are cracked up to be, Have tried many in my airplane's and helo's and ALWAYS been dissapointed. I think Matt would agree on this one.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

The zippy lipo's are very good batteries for the money, there are other cheap lipos that are a waste of money for sure but the zippy's are getting good reviews.

The nationial trend is box stock but it depends on the track, OCRC allows lipos ,pegasus is more box stock oriented, Don't think ARC has any rules as of yet. For bashing and casual racing get the best batteries within your budget. 2s20c lipos are perfect for the slash and the speed control that it comes with. With the stock slash motor even a 30c lipo allows to much current draw and allows wheelspin and puts the speed control in jeapordy. The stock speed control allows for 60a draw so motor swapping and high current lipos are not safe.With lipos you can charge over and over and only need 1 maybe 2 packs for a day of fun (3-5000mah). Cheaper in the long run then multiple ni style packs.

As the recent past owner of a local hobby shop I suggest supporting the lhs as well but certain buys make more sense on-line.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Best Ni-Mh battery

Thanks for the replies guys. Which are the best NiMH batteries and how long will they last at the track?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Team Orion batteries are good, I am using venom 3300 and 4600. I get about 15-20 minutes on the 3300 (old Pack) and about 25-30 on the 4600.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.