R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Texas Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/texas-racing-38/)
-   -   Mini racing in Texas? (1/18th or 1/28th) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/texas-racing/994242-mini-racing-texas-1-18th-1-28th.html)

karim18 08-06-2017 07:51 PM

Mini racing in Texas? (1/18th or 1/28th)

Howdy Y'all!

Been living in TX for a while now, just looking to get back into RC and was wondering if there are any 1/18th or 1/28th tracks in the Austin (or Houston even) area?

If not, let me know if you're interested (I can organize in the Austin area if there isn't anything, but people are interested)

Thanks in Advance!

Rodarbal 08-11-2017 10:50 AM

Are you asking about on-road or off-road? We used to have a 1/18 on-road class when we raced at the Austin Hobbytowns. It was SO much fun. It was generally a mix of Associated 18Rs and SC18s converted to on-road use. We all used BSR foam tires. Speeds were getting crazy as we had 5000 Kv or higher motors. Sadly it's been a few years now since we had a full class. There hasn't been enough interest to get them going at N-Control in Dale.

As for off-road, I don't think there was ever any interest in anything smaller than 1/14 scale. There has been some talk in the past week about getting the 1/14 truggy class going at Thornhill on the turf.

b20btec 08-19-2017 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by karim18 (Post 14995556)
Howdy Y'all!

Been living in TX for a while now, just looking to get back into RC and was wondering if there are any 1/18th or 1/28th tracks in the Austin (or Houston even) area?

If not, let me know if you're interested (I can organize in the Austin area if there isn't anything, but people are interested)

Thanks in Advance!

There's a few of us that have atomic's, just hard to get together. Hobby Town Houston had a track, don't know if it's still there.

karim18 08-25-2017 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rodarbal (Post 14999919)
Are you asking about on-road or off-road? We used to have a 1/18 on-road class when we raced at the Austin Hobbytowns. It was SO much fun. It was generally a mix of Associated 18Rs and SC18s converted to on-road use. We all used BSR foam tires. Speeds were getting crazy as we had 5000 Kv or higher motors. Sadly it's been a few years now since we had a full class. There hasn't been enough interest to get them going at N-Control in Dale.

As for off-road, I don't think there was ever any interest in anything smaller than 1/14 scale. There has been some talk in the past week about getting the 1/14 truggy class going at Thornhill on the turf.

The Losi 1/14s?

Rodarbal 08-25-2017 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by karim18 (Post 15012886)
The Losi 1/14s?

Yes, Rob (HollywoodRC) is getting his Mini 8T ready to run on Thornhill, Jr. (the 1/10 track). He might have it out to practice with it tomorrow. FYI, the small track is open for practice on the days they hold races on the big track.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mi...ght-t-183.html

If the class takes off, I might consider picking up an LC Racing 1/14 Truggy.

joeR6 10-31-2017 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by karim18 (Post 14995556)
Howdy Y'all!

Thanks in Advance!

I'm in Austin and definitely looking for somewhere to run my mini-zs; I have a buggy and a mr-03s2 with plans to get a few more.
Just got back into the hobby after a 25yr hiatus (RC10.)
I've checked out miniz-racer.com and its pretty dead. Facebook seems to be popular for mini-z but most activity is on east or west coast.
I'm considering getting an RCP track as Thornhill raceway is the only place that caters to our hobby but they are only open on Saturdays and geared toward bigger rigs.

joeR6 11-01-2017 02:07 PM

I'm definitely interested! I'm in Austin, TX and need somewhere to run my mini-z's - I have both a mini-z buggy and mr-03s2 2WD mazda (with more purchases planned) so I'm open to either on-road or off road. Thinking about buying an RCP track as there really isn't anywhere in the area to run indoor cars (not even carpet.) Thornhill is more geared towards off-road 1/8, 1/10 scale.

Just doing some laps would be fine.

joeR6 11-02-2017 02:29 PM

I’d be very interested in getting some mini-z run time. Anyone know of a track nearby that caters to mini-z’s?

Rodarbal 11-02-2017 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by joeR6 (Post 15068368)
I’d be very interested in getting some mini-z run time. Anyone know of a track nearby that caters to mini-z’s?

There may be a few local racers here in CenTx who have Mini-Zs and race them on their own garage tracks, but there aren't any active clubs around Austin that race them that I know of.

The only indoor carpet track in Texas that's currently operational is Banana RC in Richardson. Not sure if there's any Mini-Z action up there or not.

JLock 11-03-2017 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rodarbal (Post 15068380)
There may be a few local racers here in CenTx who have Mini-Zs and race them on their own garage tracks, but there aren't any active clubs around Austin that race them that I know of.

The only indoor carpet track in Texas that's currently operational is Banana RC in Richardson. Not sure if there's any Mini-Z action up there or not.

There is no Mini-Z action going on anywhere that I know of in the state of Texas. At the Banana, there is a class of the mini Tamiya cars (M03/M05/M06...) that run when enough shows up and that is the extent of mini racing there.

joeR6 11-07-2017 10:07 AM

bummer. Well I've got a mini-z buggy that does just fine on my driveway with my hodgepodge track setup. I guess I'll have to get another buggy so the kiddos can race

b20btec 11-07-2017 02:48 PM

I got a amz atomic belt drive fs, nib

joeR6 11-08-2017 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by b20btec (Post 15072593)
I got a amz atomic belt drive fs, nib

the atomic amz is mostly on-road right? Since I don't have an RCP track, and I'm running outside on my driveway (not smooth concrete, but rather tiny pebbles cemented in giant slabs) the mini-z buggy with its longer travel suspension and higher ground clearance seems to be the perfect vehicle of choice for my DIY track.

Also threw in some tiny ramps that makes it more fun!

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to run full on-road mini-z road cars with a RCP type track but since there isn't much of a following here in TX its the mini-z buggy for me and my 1/10 MT and Crawler.

I have yet to check out Thornhill - about an hour away from me but hopefully I can make it out there with the kiddos. Wish they were open more than just one day a week...

Rodarbal 11-08-2017 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, I found the link to my friend's garage track in North Austin. Check it out!

Beginnings- north Austin garage track - RCFiles Forums

Originally Posted by joeR6 (Post 15073252)
I have yet to check out Thornhill - about an hour away from me but hopefully I can make it out there with the kiddos. Wish they were open more than just one day a week...

If you want to check out a big race, this weekend is the Battle of the Sikest race as promoted and designed by Levi Jackson. Thursday is a clinic that is put on by a few pro drivers (namely Ryan Lutz and Joe Bornhorst of Tekno), but all 20 spots have been filled. Friday is practice for all registered racers, Saturday is qualifying and Sunday are the mains. Last I heard there were 360 entrants. It will be capped off at 400. The Hooligan RC shop will be open Friday through Sunday.

Of course this is just a hobby for the owners of Thornhill as well as the owners of Hooligan as they all have regular day jobs and can only commit to weekends. Still, they manage to run an awesome race program.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1510160618

Rodarbal 11-08-2017 09:14 AM

Oh, here's one of the videos that's in the link I posted above. It's Dave's Mini-Z zipping around his garage track:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.