Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Texas Racing
HobbyTown of Abilene Dirt Track >

HobbyTown of Abilene Dirt Track

HobbyTown of Abilene Dirt Track

Old 03-31-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
Track build starting this friday, 5 till dark, then saturday noon till 5. Owner sent out an email today asking for people to come out and lend a hand with the track build
Sweet! Thanks for the info!
Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

wish I could have made it out to help with the build last weekend, had some emergencies at work, looks good so far, Ill try to make it to the next track workday.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 AM
TZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any word on what scale of cars are going to be ran?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will they be working on the track this Friday and Saturday too? If i get the chance i'll stop by and lend a hand.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TZ View Post
Any word on what scale of cars are going to be ran?
track really isn't big enough for 1/8 cars
Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AntiGooch View Post
Will they be working on the track this Friday and Saturday too? If i get the chance i'll stop by and lend a hand.
I believe the owner is out of town for training, I haven't heard when the next track work weekend will be
Old 04-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Matt. I drove by last weekend to see the layout and i think it looks fun.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Matt. I drove by last weekend to see the layout and i think it looks fun.
it still needs a bit of work, but the hard part is done.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

I agree track looks on the small side for 8th scale, curious as to what classes we are going to be able to come up with, 2wd buggy seems like a lock and probably some form of short course, didnt know what the outlook on 10th scale 4wd buggy is or stadium truck, Im looking to get a new kit and trying to decide between the two. Other option I thought about was trying to get a 10th scale nitro truck class together, of course that would probably require ebay to find old kits, or nitro ruslters would probably work too.

Last edited by rjkotzur; 04-21-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: premature posting by toddler
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rjkotzur View Post
I agree track looks on the small side for 8th scale, curious as to what classes we are going to be able to come up with, 2wd buggy seems like a lock and probably some form of short course, didnt know what the outlook on 10th scale 4wd buggy is or stadium truck, Im looking to get a new kit and trying to decide between the two. Other option I thought about was trying to get a 10th scale nitro truck class together, of course that would probably require ebay to find old kits, or nitro ruslters would probably work too.
1/10 electric stadium truck is the class I would try to promote. IMO a much better class for beginners than short course. I grew tired of short course racing very quickly because of the "rubbin' is racin'" mentality of the class. That and with that parachute body they just jump like crap if there is any wind at all.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
1/10 electric stadium truck is the class I would try to promote. IMO a much better class for beginners than short course. I grew tired of short course racing very quickly because of the "rubbin' is racin'" mentality of the class. That and with that parachute body they just jump like crap if there is any wind at all.
From talking with the locals it seems a 4wd SCT class is pretty much a lock. Anything other than that is up in the air. I would love to have a 2wd stock buggy class, just need them to show up when we start racing.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Matt, by stock do you mean 17.5 or 13.5?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

Matt, by stock do you mean 17.5 or 13.5?
stock is 17.5 non-boosted. We could run anything really, open motor would be fine with me, track isn't really big enough for lots-o-power anyway
Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

I have a stock buggy and a family member has another, we both also have 2wd scts which we wouldn't mind running with 4wd if need be. I personally think we shouldnt be too picky and strict with classes to start when it comes to stock vs mod until everything takes off and there is more people running. But I think for newbies starting with stock motors would be better for the learning how to drive part, plus the track probably isnt going to be high traction so putting all that power down may be more difficult. Anyway, I would rather run a combined class with 8 cars than run 2 classes with 4 because we split them stock and mod. If all goes well this will grow and we will get there eventually. Right now we just need a place to get together and race.

I also have an 8th scale and was thinking if there is enough interest we can potentially find someone who has a backyard track or build one somewhere we can run the big cars too.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

I have a stock buggy and a family member has another, we both also have 2wd scts which we wouldn't mind running with 4wd if need be. I personally think we shouldnt be too picky and strict with classes to start when it comes to stock vs mod until everything takes off and there is more people running. But I think for newbies starting with stock motors would be better for the learning how to drive part, plus the track probably isnt going to be high traction so putting all that power down may be more difficult. Anyway, I would rather run a combined class with 8 cars than run 2 classes with 4 because we split them stock and mod. If all goes well this will grow and we will get there eventually. Right now we just need a place to get together and race.

I also have an 8th scale and was thinking if there is enough interest we can potentially find someone who has a backyard track or build one somewhere we can run the big cars too.
Open everything would be fine by me. Let's see what the turn outs look like and go from there

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service