Wiki Posts
Search

did Larrys Hobby shop In North Houston go out of business

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default did Larrys Hobby shop In North Houston go out of business

Hi I just went to larrys Hobby shop at fm1960 and I45 in North Houston Texas and they are total gone out of business or did they move? But there is no Sign on the door weird. There sign is still up but the retail space is totally empty. I thought they where in trouble but nobody would give me straight line on the current state of business for them. I will miss them they where a good source of parts for my cars.
Michael
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Larry's is gone? It has been a mainstay since I was a kid, like 25 years. I'll have to go check this out. I stopped using them because of customer service but it was nice to have them as a back up option.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ishsquish
Larry's is gone? It has been a mainstay since I was a kid, like 25 years. I'll have to go check this out. I stopped using them because of customer service but it was nice to have them as a back up option.
Yes they are gone and there is no sign on the door its reall strange but you know Ive wondering for last year if they where going out of business because they started thinging their inventory and got rid of the train department. ITs the sign times I guess their are three shops left in this area and I wonder if they are doing alright! Michael
Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

The landlord wanted to double their rent. Their solution was to get rid of the train side since it took up half of the space. This allowed their rent to stay the same even though they had half of the space and product. Trains were huge for them though and easily accounted for half of their sales. They gave the trains a counter on the far right wall before finally just getting rid of trains altogether. This left them with half the income but the same amount of outflow. You could easily see what was ultimately going to happen.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fredswain
The landlord wanted to double their rent. Their solution was to get rid of the train side since it took up half of the space. This allowed their rent to stay the same even though they had half of the space and product. Trains were huge for them though and easily accounted for half of their sales. They gave the trains a counter on the far right wall before finally just getting rid of trains altogether. This left them with half the income but the same amount of outflow. You could easily see what was ultimately going to happen.
Wow I didnt know that too bad they where the best hobby shop on this end of town. I wonder if they are going to reopen in a different location/
thank you Mwj
Old 10-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Larry's had it up for sale for a couple of months (i talked to a former employee today that is at RC Hobbies in The Woodlands) and had no takers, apparently the owner wanted out.. RCH - woodlands bought 80% of the inventory.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Krafcik
Larry's had it up for sale for a couple of months (i talked to a former employee today that is at RC Hobbies in The Woodlands) and had no takers, apparently the owner wanted out.. RCH - woodlands bought 80% of the inventory.
I kind of got that feeling when they started to carry less and less car and airplane Kits. hmm I will have to drift up to RCH and see what they have. I go in there about once a month the guys are really friendly thanks for the info. Michael
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Initiate

I say good riddance... Overpriced, the guys in their were pretty much all asshats, and acted like it was a club in there of something... Never felt at home there, and I can buy stuff for a fraction of the price if they want to treat people with a condescending attitude... They won't be missed...
Old 03-04-2015, 05:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

I MISSED TALKING AND CHATTING W TERRY....
Old 03-04-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ehmc2014
I MISSED TALKING AND CHATTING W TERRY....
You can find him working at WHOBBIES up on FM 2920 between Tom Ball and Spring texas!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stoney452
You can find him working at WHOBBIES up on FM 2920 between Tom Ball and Spring texas!
thX STONEY452!
Old 06-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by rpedro
I say good riddance... Overpriced, the guys in their were pretty much all asshats, and acted like it was a club in there of something... Never felt at home there, and I can buy stuff for a fraction of the price if they want to treat people with a condescending attitude... They won't be missed...
I agree brother. I occasionally would drive by when I used to work there.....no one ever greeted me or even smiled. I do almost all my LHS purchases at Rc hobby shop in sugar land with Buck or Victory RC with Russell.

Only because I know both owners for ten years and spent at least $9-$10k between the two shops over the years. Not including the 16+ kits purchased online. Another easy $5-$6k. Yeah not cheap at all either way.

Since day one both shops made me feel right at home. Sure some of their employees aren't as knowledgable on certain parts of Rc like $12,000 planes versus a Traxxas Bandit. But they all specialize in something which is why people keep coming back despite their prices are higher than online.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RC shops are closing left in right in Houston. I live in Sugarland and frequent RC Hobby, but their inventory has take a major turn towards low end crap.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LS2-TOY
RC shops are closing left in right in Houston. I live in Sugarland and frequent RC Hobby, but their inventory has take a major turn towards low end crap.
I moved from spring last summer to wichita falls and there is one shop in town that has airplane stuff but is really dead. There are no tracks here to run on and the closet one is oklahoma over 60 miles away. yikes
Old 02-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow that's not good!!! What part of Houston did you live in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.