Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Texas Racing
Thornhill Racing Circuit - Hutto, TX >

Thornhill Racing Circuit - Hutto, TX

Like Tree13Likes

Thornhill Racing Circuit - Hutto, TX

Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,805
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Thornhill Racing Circuit - Hutto, TX

If you guys didn't know about Thornhill, you are missing out!

It is now the largest outdoor track in North America, built by Joey "The Dirt" Christensen and slated to be (and well on it's way to it) a world-class facility.

Hutto is NE of Austin, about ~3hrs from Dallas.

I just finished racing there this weekend for the grand opening (ie: break in the systems, track, program, etc) and everything went super smooth and the track was amazing!

Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/ThornhillRacingCircuit?fref=ts

A few pics:





Upcoming races:

August 3rd - Practice, 4th - Club Race

August 30-September 1st - ROAR Region 9 Regionals
Classes: 1/8th Electric/Nitro and 4wd Shortcourse

October 11th-13th - VP Powermaster Challenge

Ya'll should definitely check it out!

Last edited by heavyjeffd; 07-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.
heavyjeffd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,805
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Great video from the opening race this weekend.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
heavyjeffd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,511
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Any word on when they will have another "big" race weekend this summer? I had to miss the opener and am still bummed. A couple of friends went and said the track was amazing.
MX304 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (43)
 
Rodarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 1,020
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Awesome pics, Jeff!

I was out of town this weekend and really wished I could have made it out, too. It'll be a little while before I feel comfortable with my ebug, though.

As for the schedule, all we know of is what Jeff posted above. Probably won't be another big race weekend this summer. Races are only held once a month.
Rodarbal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
  #5  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Apco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 601
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

What classes will you be running?

Right now I only run 2wd electric classes. I doubt you run that on a track this size. 4wd Short course and E-Buggy would be the two most likely choices for me. I don't have any desire to get back into nitro.
Apco1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,805
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Any word on when they will have another "big" race weekend this summer? I had to miss the opener and am still bummed. A couple of friends went and said the track was amazing.
August 3/4 they will have open practice on Saturday the 3rd (just an open practice day), and the 4th will be a regular club style race (quals/mains etc).

The weekend of August 30th will be the ROAR Region 9 race (nitro truggy/buggy, ebuggy, 4wd sc).

The weekend of October 11th will be the VP Powermaster Challenge, same classes as above, probably more skill level splits though.

Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
Awesome pics, Jeff!

I was out of town this weekend and really wished I could have made it out, too. It'll be a little while before I feel comfortable with my ebug, though.

As for the schedule, all we know of is what Jeff posted above. Probably won't be another big race weekend this summer. Races are only held once a month.
You should go out August 4th and race! It's an amazing place, you'll love it man.

Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
What classes will you be running?

Right now I only run 2wd electric classes. I doubt you run that on a track this size. 4wd Short course and E-Buggy would be the two most likely choices for me. I don't have any desire to get back into nitro.
Ebuggy or 4wd SC. While I love 2wd SC and would gladly try and run it out there, it's way too big for 2wd probably.
heavyjeffd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
BillyT.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Be interesting to see how many people cry about running a ROAR race on a layout that's been up for 3 months...

Track looks fun. Can't wait out get out there some time...
BillyT. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,805
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I dunno if there will be any crying. Track is not open to the public at any time other than for racing and it's had one race on it.

It may be okay.
heavyjeffd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 AM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,511
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd View Post
August 3/4 they will have open practice on Saturday the 3rd (just an open practice day), and the 4th will be a regular club style race (quals/mains etc).

The weekend of August 30th will be the ROAR Region 9 race (nitro truggy/buggy, ebuggy, 4wd sc).

The weekend of October 11th will be the VP Powermaster Challenge, same classes as above, probably more skill level splits though.



You should go out August 4th and race! It's an amazing place, you'll love it man.



Ebuggy or 4wd SC. While I love 2wd SC and would gladly try and run it out there, it's way too big for 2wd probably.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try and make that Oct. Race
MX304 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
heavyjeffd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,805
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

You should, it will be amazing.
heavyjeffd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Whats the tire of choice? Nats are coming!!!!!
RcRacer37E is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 AM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (43)
 
Rodarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 1,020
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Bumping this thread... indoor offroad coming to Thornhill soon!
Rodarbal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:01 PM
  #13  
TZ
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 276
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

For 1/8 or 1/10?
TZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,511
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
Bumping this thread... indoor offroad coming to Thornhill soon!

Whaaaaat? 1/10 I assume?
MX304 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 PM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (43)
 
Rodarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 1,020
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TZ View Post
For 1/8 or 1/10?
Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Whaaaaat? 1/10 I assume?
Both, actually. It will be a bit bigger than the Clay Pit and they ran ebugs there. Check this thread out for further details:

http://rcfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39878
Rodarbal is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service