Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Thornhill Racing Circuit - Hutto, TX

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

We're racing on the 1/10 track this weekend. Come on out!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Will the March 11th race be the first race under cover?
Can someone post or give some hints on setup for a XB8E or Mugen MBX7.
Are there large jumps normally?
Battery sizes and gearing would be helpful.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Losi T-Racer
Yes, the weekend of the 11th is the grand re-opening of the big track at Thornhill. As of yesterday, the track is still leveled as they're still hanging lights. Previous layout had a few large jumps and a fun rhythm section. I'm switching up my motor/esc combo to 1900/HW 150A in my son's MBX6 Eco with 5000 mAh 4S packs. My MBX7T has a 1400/HW 150A and 4300 mAh 6S packs. As for other details and gearing, your questions would be better answered over on rcfiles.com (where most of the Thornhill regulars post up).
Old 02-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losi T-Racer
Rumor has it that there will be more big jumps motor cross style. Not confirmed though,
Old 03-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

One week! finally!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm getting back into the hobby after being out for a few years. What transponder system is used at Thornhill? MyLaps RC3, RC4, or something else? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Whoa, this thread hasn't been bumped in a while (guess I haven't been down this far in a while). Yes, the timing systems used on both tracks at Thornhill are MyLaps RC4.

BTW, there are two Fall/Winters series going on at Thornhill starting soon. The 1/10 indoor series starts on October 22 and the big track series starts on November 12. Both are best of five of seven. For more information visit their page on RCFiles.

http://rcfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Old 10-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Whoa, this thread hasn't been bumped in a while (guess I haven't been down this far in a while). Yes, the timing systems used on both tracks at Thornhill are MyLaps RC4.

BTW, there are two Fall/Winters series going on at Thornhill starting soon. The 1/10 indoor series starts on October 22 and the big track series starts on November 12. Both are best of five of seven. For more information visit their page on RCFiles.

http://rcfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Looks like theyre both shaping up to be pretty competitive too! If youre in the cen tex area, you definitely want to check this place out.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thornhill recently added some new things

The Jr. Track has the camera system on LiveRc, and a crossover.

Beware the bridge trolls?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Indeed! Current Jr. layout:

Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For those that may not have heard, Thornhill's 1/10 track took a major beating from the storms last Saturday. The "tent" that covers the track was completely destroyed. Chris posted on FB the following plan going forward. I think it is going to be awesome!

Here is the plan going forward with Thornhill Jr. As many know the building over the track suffered server wind damage this last Sunday. The building is a complete loss as the wind has buckled the frame so it's not as simple as getting a new cover put on it.

With all that the track didn't get damaged at all so we plan to race one last time on the current Jr layout this weekend with no cover over it. That's of course if the weather cooperates (if it rains the track will be ruined with the dirt glue on it) At least right now there is no chance of rain this week.

After we race this Saturday we will start working on the new and improved Thornhill Jr. I don't want to put up another tent style building, the wind and weather is just to harsh out there and I don't want to go through this again. So the plan is to extend the big track building 60' over towards the viewing stand. This will give us a 30% bigger track size to work with. It will also let us put the drivers stand on the long side of the track which will make the perspective of the track better.

By doing this however the track surface will need to change. It will be open sides like the big track and could get mist on it when it rains and the wind is blowing hard. It could also end up with dust getting on it from the big track. As we know a dirt glued track does not deal with dust or water well at all. That leaves us with few options on track surface. We could go back to a non dirt glued dirt track which was pretty slick and turnout was low when it was like that so that won't work. We could try clay but unless clay is watered almost daily it cracks apart and we are not there everyday so that won't work. So we put our heads together and talked about it at length. We then did some testing and decided that going with a turf surface is the way to go. Dust and water mist doesn't affect the traction much so it's a good fit. Many tracks around the US are switching to turf so it's becoming more common. They have also been running turf tracks overseas for years. Check out the beachline raceway on facebook, they recently changed from clay to turf and everyone seems to really like it.

So to sum it up: one last race this weekend on Jr, then new cover being built, and the new surface is going to be turf. It's going to be a tremendous amount of work and it won't be cheap to do. Any help you want to offer in either of those areas would be much appreciated. I'm hoping that we will be back running in 8 weeks for the March 25th race day. Thanks for all you support -Chris
Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A bold move-but Beachline looks amazing, as i'm sure this will be too. I'll certainly drive from DFW for this!
Old 05-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

so any updates or pics on new track?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fast410
so any updates or pics on new track?
There should be some pics on the Thornhill site or the FB page. Things are getting closer to being ready hopefully in a few weeks.
oldernoob likes this.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In... for updates!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.