Like Tree6Likes

GT8 - Onroad in DFW?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Congrats on the win Juan!

I got to talk with Heinz and another guy (runs at Mike's, can't remember his name for the life of me now) at SpeedMonkey about setting something up.

Currently thinking is try and set something up for the last Sunday of the month out there to see what happens.

Luckily we all have electrics so the rules can be fairly basic Buggy based on-road, no restriction on motor, 3s or 4s. Any rubber tire (talking with Heinz the foams didn't work too well out there).

Open to suggestions!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
Congrats on the win Juan!

I got to talk with Heinz and another guy (runs at Mike's, can't remember his name for the life of me now) at SpeedMonkey about setting something up.

Currently thinking is try and set something up for the last Sunday of the month out there to see what happens.

Luckily we all have electrics so the rules can be fairly basic Buggy based on-road, no restriction on motor, 3s or 4s. Any rubber tire (talking with Heinz the foams didn't work too well out there).

Open to suggestions!
I will have a copy of the rules that I have drawn up for you to review the next time we see each other. I love racing at Mike's but I really do like racing outdoors in the fresh air and the asphalt (or good concrete).
Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

I'll be over at Indy this Sunday, if you are going to come out bring the rules and we can talk about getting a date set.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

I'll be over at Indy this Sunday, if you are going to come out bring the rules and we can talk about getting a date set.
Ok, will do.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

I got a chance to make it over to Speed Monkey again and this time I brought my GT8. I this was the first time on an actual track and it actually worked pretty well!

The track was a bit dusty and I started out on 3s/2650kv/16t spur/Sweep Treaded tires. After a few laps I had most of the dust knocked out minus right around the loading area. By the end of the first battery I was confident enough to hit full throttle.

Second battery was 4s and I turned my throttle down some to get used to the extra power. Once I got some heat in the tires it really hooked up and the car felt better.

Talking to the guy behind the counter, they lay down some grape soda on Sundays which should help traction and if we swept a little the track should be really hooked up. Some of the elevation changes/banking can make it pretty challenging and I'm still trying to find the fastest line.

Anyone interested in trying to pick a date to head out and see if we can get a race together?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

I've been running the on-road on VRC-pro... Starting to get a better taste for this. Gonna have to figure out how to make the truck actually worth a crap and not a drift machine though...

I still think we need to cushion the rails one way or another.

And I need to look into exactly what needs to be done to get a loop in over there...
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

I see that there is a SWCS race at RCRCNT on August 24-25. I plan on going to race nitro touring car for the first time. What kind of tires do I need to get and how many?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Bump. Updated the first post with proposed electric rules.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This sounds like fun...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Why do you say not to run those 3 bodies?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HickamHatch View Post
Why do you say not to run those 3 bodies?
Takes away from the GT style racing as the "wedge" style bodies generally give better performance and people will all end up running those style shells quickly. They are better suited to the 1/8 pan car classes. Realism is encouraged (similar to USGT and VTA).

Rules are the same in that the goal is close racing and to be easy on the pocketbook. There has been alot of discussion on the nitro side about limits for motor limits (off-road style motors as opposed to high $$$$ on-road motors).

Low cost of entry, low cost of operation, close fast racing. Anything that violates these items should be really scrutinized.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Bumping this up as the nitro guys have been having all the fun out at RCRCNT in Rendon. No reason we can't do the same!

I have a "secret" area we could do some test and tune at in the Plano area before we head out to Rendon to get the cars dialed in.

I have lines on 3-4 guys and may be building another car in the near future....
Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Bumping this up as the nitro guys have been having all the fun out at RCRCNT in Rendon. No reason we can't do the same!

I have a "secret" area we could do some test and tune at in the Plano area before we head out to Rendon to get the cars dialed in.

I have lines on 3-4 guys and may be building another car in the near future....
Electric GT has been part of the bigger Large Scale genre that I posted on the Texas 5 Facebook page a few months back. That is where I was talking about this and the 3-port spec engine Nitro GT to go along with the 5th scale portion as a way to bring racing back to the metroplex in a bigger scale (no pun intended). Had my car ready for some time but couldn't seem to motivate anyone to either bring theirs or convert one to bring out. This would definitely be a good class to compliment 5th scale as you will not need a pit man and would be about racing/track time.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

I'll have mine out at the biggie, Scott just picked up a Serpent, you have your Kyosho, trying to get Alan to get his Serpent ready.

Close!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

I'll have mine out at the biggie, Scott just picked up a Serpent, you have your Kyosho, trying to get Alan to get his Serpent ready.

Close!
How about having it ready for racing at Rendon for 2018. Would like to race mine at more than just the Biggie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service