Gulf Coast raceway " Mikes in Porter" ONROAD SCHEDULE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gulf Coast raceway " Mikes in Porter" ONROAD SCHEDULE

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Sounds Good. For those that do not know me I just moved here from Arkansas but are from Houston originally and I like to race 1/10th touring sedan, nitro and electric. Mike's in Porter has an astonishing onroad track. I've been out of the hobby going on 7 years. Started the hobby in 1999 with a yokomo MR-4 or YR-4, I believe it was their first 4WD belt car, it had a carbon fiber chassis-saddle pack setup (later what xray introduced with their first tourer). I began racing in Memphis TN and track conditions were large parking lot track rubber tires (at that time Sorex, Take-Offs). Raced tourers for 6 years both pavement, indoor and carpet. Only faces I know from Texas are Atomic Ron and Larry Pryor. Right now I'm trying to get back in the hobby and only lack starter box, radio, rx-charger and digi-servos. I'm starting back with a Mugen MTX-3 PROSPEC, OS 12TZ and the new O'Donnell 6%oil fuel. Alot has changed since I've been in the hobby and plan to get into electric but need to do the research on the new BL motors, Lipo's etc.

Last edited by Hi-Speed; 07-15-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

So, I'm excited enough after building the new RX8, that I'm headed to Mike's in Porter this weekend to do a little "test & tune" on Sunday. Hope to see a few more folks out there this weekend. If not, it'll be nice to see you again on the 23rd! Enjoy the holiday weekend!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi-Speed, whenever you are interested, we run a pretty successful on-road racing program at M&M across town in Bellaire, TX. We race every Thursday night, predominantly 1/10 Touring, 17.5 non-boosted. We get an average of 15-20 cars and growing. Come check it out some time.

Mike's track is awesome, but their on-road program is a bit dead. It is mostly a practice crowd in on-road. On the other hand their off-road program is probably the best and most consistent in town (all the other tracks rotate a lot, but Mike's always has something going on).

I myself race about once a week at each trac,. M&M On-road and Mike's Off-Road.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default M&M

That's good to know Cristian Tabush. I know there's sedan racing down there but by the looks of the track I may have to wait untill I get an electric sedan unless of course it is much larger than the pics on the front page. Last time I was in M&M hobbies other than a month ago was back in 1989 when there use to be an indoor offroad track right around the corner right off of Bellaire, RoadRunner I believe it was. I can still remember seeing the old Brass colored Tekin chargers and at the time new Losi JRX's offroad buggys tearing it up!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In 1989 it wasn't called M&M. It also wasn't the same building. It was Issac's (I&I) back then. Issac is the brother of the current owner Meir. Their track back then was indoors behind the shop. Roadrunner RC had their first location on the north side and then later opened the location right around the corner from I&I.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Yea I really do not remember the name of M&M at that time as it was some time ago and we mostly hung out at roadrunner around the corner.

Ok what was the name of the offroad and onroad oval track off of either beechnut or bellaire and cook rd? I remember watching onroad tether cars there.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Default nitro onroad

Ok so Im purchasing foams online for this track, any suggestions on shores for Jaco Nitro Shoes.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

35 front and 37 rear
Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Onroad Schedule

Hello, I will be in the area next week, starting 31 Aug, on my way to San Antonio. I just wanted to find out what your normal race/practice schedule is, and if you have anything planned for Labor Day Weekend? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

The track at Mike's Hobby Shop in Porter, TX is opened 12pm - 8pm M-F and until 6pm on Sat and Sun. Cost to practice is $10 for all day access. We do not have any local races scheduled until OCT 15-16. There usually are a number of us on any given weekend at the track. It is a great track and facility and you will be glad for any time that you get to spend on the track. Give Jeremy Cupps, hobby shop manager, a call at 281-577-8250 for any additional questions.
Have fun,
Roger
Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Usgt nationals 2011
Is this still happening? There's no details to be found and jspeed didn't respond to my pm.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I finally got to run at the onroad track and have to say the track is awesome and plenty fast. There is a ripple being created on the straight in front of the drivers stand but if you come outta the turn a bit wider you can go around it. I had fun practicing and met some cool onroad guys out there as well, appreciate all the info Darren, D and John. Awesome facility.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Well I finally was able to make it out to GCR and I must say it is an awesome facility. Definately on par with tracks like Homestead and Fort Myers, and there is a also a hobby shop on site! I did managed to turn a few 18.3s and 18.5s while breaking in my new motor, so I guess that's not too bad. I'm planning on being out there again next weekend to break-in a second motor. Can't wait!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any races planned for January\February?
I am going over for some work then and are thinking of bringing my Nitro TC as I did last time I was in Houston.

Christian
Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chovden
Any races planned for January\February?
I am going over for some work then and are thinking of bringing my Nitro TC as I did last time I was in Houston.

Christian
We have a Texas Nitro Winter Series going that has one day races planned in both JAN and FEB. Take a look at the our web site www.thirdcoastracing.com as well as the thread "Gulf Coast Grand Prix/Texas Nitro Winter Series on the Texas forum.

Come join in the fun,
Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.