Wiki Posts
Search

New Onroad Club in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Default New Onroad Club in Dallas

Hey guys,

Mike Dumas has started up a club in the Dallas area for on-road racers called RTR R/C. We will be racing at Mikes hobby shop every first, third, and fifth (if there is a fifth) sunday of the month till the fall. This is on-road carpet racing and a club. Club fee is 50 dollars and that will entitle you to 5 dollars off race fee per class (third class is free) and that your opinion will be listened to during the meetings. I will be taking over the race directing and Mike (owner of the shop) will have nothing to do with the program other than letting us rent the track from him which we all appretiate.

Reasons for doing a club:

1. On-road has dwindled in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and this was one way to keep people interested and bring people back.

2. Owner did not want to race on Sundays even though the program draws 2-3x's the racers.

3. It seperates us from the offroad program that races on Saturday. Keeps the days shorter.

Classes that will be run:

1. 12th scale 13.5 and 17.5. 1 cell lipo is the trend that we see happening and would like that to be the norm. As of now, 4 cell Nimh is still good to go. 8 min qual and mains.

2. 10th pan car 13.5. Same here for the batteries. 6 min qual and mains.

3. Touring rubber 13.5 and or 17.5. 6 min qual and mains

4. We will also have any class that has three or more people such as foam tc, vintage trans am, and 1/18th scale cars.

Dates for the racing have been set for May 17th, 31st and June 7th, 21st. More dates to come.

Program starts at 12 oclock and will be run in a timely manner. 3 rounds of qualifying and a main.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So in order to race at these sunday meets would i need to pony up 50 bucks in advance or is there a non member rate for racedays.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Suspended

No, the 50 dollars is to join the club. You are more than welcome to race with the club members without actually being in the club. Its 15 dollars to race if you are a non member and 10 to race as a member.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad to see someone is trying to pump some life into the on-road scene.
I pay $50 a year for my flying club and that money is used for field maintenance and repairs.
Obviously your club doesn't have this, so just curious what the money is for?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

we have track maintenance as well. think about how a carpet track would do with an off road track just 5 feet away. we have off road guys with their muddy tires running laps on the carpet track. since this is not "our" track, we do not make the rules on what can and can not be run on the track when we are not there. just last weekend after the i watched 5 slash trucks after the off road race run about 1hour+ on the carpet track. i guarantee you that none of the tires were cleaned off. think about 4lb sedans running into boards.

the fees will be used to help maintain a competative r/c club. we also "rent" the track from the hobbyshop. this is not a free endevor. we also have race director fees and also covers the overhead of flyers and marketing costs. we know On Road is not dead, we just need to revive it in Dallas. Also it affords you a discount. first class is $10, second class is $10, third is free. None club is $15 for first, $10 for second, and $5 for third.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

how was the first day? any 18's show up?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

it was a great day! we had 20 entries. that is like twice the number we get most weekends. sorry, no one signed up for 18th scale. we will have another race in 2 weeks. there are quite a few people that will make that race day. there were several old friends that are looking at re-aquiring gear to start racing again.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Suspended

Yes, to reiterate what Yang said, the race was a relative success. People that have not been to the track in months/ years showed up and put cars down. We went from 2 World GT cars, 2 sedans and 3 12th scales a few weeks ago to 4 stock, 8 super stock 12ths, 3 World GT, and 7 rubber touring cars.

Again, to make this a success, people have to come out and start racing again. Please, please do not wait for it to get big before bringing your big boy toy out. If everyone waits, it never grows. A, B, and C mains of years past were fun. Lets get back to those days.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

i sold 2 rev5 lipo cars. one sunday and one today. that makes 10 for super stock. plus one of our guys that we have not seen for a while said he should be there next club race. he want to go to vegas so he said he will practice some. so that make 11 for superstock 1/12. that is A and B main. wooooohooooo!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

It was the best turnout yet at RTR RC Club in Dallas this past weekend of 07/19/09. We had 33 entries on Sunday! 14 of those entires were Rubber tire sedans. Guys from Oklahoma came down to race like Steve Eaves, Brian Stanton. Good to see them and hope to see them again.

I know this time last Year because of the extreme heat in Dallas during the summer months there has been weekends there hasn't been any on-road racing at all. This winter should be great! We are going to tighten up the racing schedule during the day due to the start of a the larger turnouts.

Hope it can keep growing. See ya'll next Sunday on 08/02/09

Thanks,
Mike Dumas
Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Sounds like fun! Maybe some of us Houston guys can make a trip up there.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
Come on up and join in the fun!!! Your participation will be most welcome and appreciated.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
come on up and join the fun. bring a fan. plenty of power and plenty of tables. 1/12, rubber sedan and wgt so far...

bring the bunny, just picked up a gti and another race has a fahrenheit.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
.....bring the bunny, just picked up a gti and another race has a fahrenheit.
I plan on joining this club when the new one comes out later this year. Don't know if I will get the standard Golf, GTI, or the GTD (since I am on the road a lot racing, need the fuel mileage) but it will be the 6spd manual.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
I plan on joining this club when the new one comes out later this year. Don't know if I will get the standard Golf, GTI, or the GTD (since I am on the road a lot racing, need the fuel mileage) but it will be the 6spd manual.
I'm still on the fence with the MKIV, but I'm sure I'll come around. I wish that someone would make a 1/10 GTI shell!

BTW, is the TC class 13.5 or 17.5?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.