Like Tree3Likes

Indy RC in Garland, Texas.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dunnyrc51 View Post
Sweetracing there are good tracks and bad tracks alike. For those of us whom have been itching to light the nitro and do some racing greatly appreciate places like IndyRC during the winter. Whether its a run down place or not Im getting to get away from my wife and go do what I love to do. Its not like the weather has been warm enough in my area to do any outdoor racing. Im truly excited as this will be my first race of the '10 season. I will be doing quite a bit of traveling to race R/C this year so im pretty stoked that my season is about to kick off. But thanks for your opinion i do plan on checking out mikes place while we are down there. Plus we get to demo our SC8's and show the DFW area racers what these things are capable of!!!!! 10th scale short course trucks are toys, 1/8th scale SCT's are where its at!!!! Besides the wind wont make the SC8 nose up while the lil plastic "swashes and others" blow away!!!!!! If you get bored come watch us cause im ready to get my race on.
Fair enough, but why race nitro when the brushless systems out there will run circles around the nitro tucks, be it 1/8 or 1/10? Also, the 1/8 scale trucks are wayyyy out of most folks price range. I know that we all have our hobbies that we put money into and trust me, I know that to have the best equipment, it is not cheap as I had about $700 just in my FT TC4 a few years back and that was without batteries, the radio system, transponder and tools..... But for me, there is no better racing today (or better value) than a box stock Slash class. I do like watching the big trucks run around the track, but I also love watching new and old racers alike enjoy beating and banging for around $200..... Those high dollar rides are some of the reasons that many folks eventually get out of racing as either they buy a truck like that to start off racing and get frustrated from the cost and maintenance issues, or they can't drive and then quit from that frustration. I also think that the hobby shops are also part of the problem that (and I know this is a business) but they will sell anything to anyone and then we wonder why a guy sells his stuff after not being able to afford to race it or maintain it. I have seen way to many people (and I was guilty of this as well) who can afford anything on the shelf, to only realize it is not as easy as it looks. Again, just my two cents, but it would be nice to have so called "sponsered drivers" maybe come and demo the lower priced models which would get more and more people excited about rc racing. I say that becuase even if a guy thinks the SC8's are the collest thing since sliced bread, what good is that if they can't afford to buy one? Now a couple really good drivers racing the slash, blitz, strike or sc10, now that would get people excited to buy an rc and race as they could actually afford it!!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SweetRacing View Post
Hey guys- I have been wondering if I should comment or not and I figured that I would go ahead and throw my two cents in.

I don't mean to be negative or to put down any rc tracks especially in todays economy, but I would rather drive back to OKC (a three hour trip) than to race at INDY. The hobby shop, if that is what you want to call it, is small and there looks to only be enough room for only 20 or 25 racers. I haven't raced there simply becuase I don't want to get car jacked leaving or seemed like the guys I was wathcing all they wanted to do is see how may other cars they could take out while racing. Mikes Hobby shop just off of I-35E and north of Dallas is the cleanest place to race in Dallas. For those of you who have raced there, you can attest to that for me if you wish, but the atmosphere is perfect for all rc-ers. They also have a snack bar, awesome hobby shop, and room for probably 100 racers and it is free to practice on the offroad track. The only drawback for you nitro guys is it is electric only and they do not have a dirt oval, at least not yet..... Again, I don't mean to talk bad about anyone or anything, but I saw that there was some guys thinking about coming from out of state to race there and I was just trying to give you the "honest" take (at least mine) on INDY RC.

Its ok SweetRacing
I have been to Indy many times in the past and use to go down to DFW area back in the days with my full size car for test runs on the Mexico roads.
Correct the area isnt the greatest but its ok. We usually have one guy take in stuff while the other waits outside or take it all in at once. Never had any other issues there at all. It can get cramped but they handled over 100 racers at the Lonestar Classic last year with no complaints...besides it was cold...LOL.
Mikes is a nice place but too bad for us nitro racers.

dunnyrc51
get those guys to head over to Indy again for some fun
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sweetracing you can get RTR SC8's for $450 to $520 now. I agree the price was steep when they first came out but have dropped quite a bit since then. My RC8B Factory Team Kit cost me $489. Granted that there are much cheaper vehicles to buy as a RTR such as Slash, SC10, etc. Which in my opinion is a great entry vehicle into this hobby. But Im a racer and desire a little bit more performance in my vehicles than the cheaper ones offer. To each his own i guess. I have a slash and it has served its purpose. Im just an 1/8th scale guy i guess. As for Nitro vs. Electric the opinions are many. I prefer nitro over electric. My LRP .30X handles those big batteries and huge brushless motors just fine in my SC8. Im one of those that hates waiting on batteries to charge. Nitro, just refuel and go!!! Plus i love the smell! But as far as cost goes the Kyosho MP9 Race Kit is around $600, now thats expensive. I push the SC8 cause i just wanna support the class and really want it to grow. I got to compete against 'The King" Mr. Saxton himself at the Tumbleweed Classic in Albuqurque last year with the SC8's. Man that was the best racing ive participated in in a long time. We crashed, slammed, hacked, rolled, flipped, pushed, backflips off of a huge double, and did donuts during the race on the straight to taunt each other. That was the best time ive ever had racing any class. The entire crowd spectated that race and wanted more afterwards. The best part is none of the drivers complain about it cause its almost anything goes, they dish it out as well as take it. Its just awesome. If you ever get the chance to race the SC8 dont pass it up cause you might miss out on some dirty fun!!!!

Last edited by dunnyrc51; 02-11-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: stupid spelling
Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by supralative View Post
Cant remember the guys names, but they raced Associated and Losi. Associated was an orange yellow combo, while the Losi was a blue green white combo.
The Orange and Yellow combo was Brian Beck's, he is from Lubbock, and the Losi blue, green and white combo was Michael Johnson from Amarillo.

Last edited by jds4204; 02-12-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spl
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Jason Eubanks for Team AE and i believe it might of been Hugh Packebush with the Losi. Not for certain on the Losi though.
Hey Justin, Shaggy said to shhh..!!!

Last edited by jds4204; 02-12-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: because
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jds4204 View Post
Hey Justin, Shaggy said to shhh..!!!
Ya I forgot about Micheal's color. And assumed it was Eubanks with the RC8. You tell Shaggy to man up and come to Dallas with us cause I'm itchin to slam into his SC8. Tell him he can't be a Va Jay Jay all his life
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

James have you decided whether you are going or not?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I am not going....no $....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

I am not going....no $....
See, should have bought a Slash and saved a couple hundred bucks which you could now use for racing..... But hey, maybe you could always get sponsored like everyone else in this thread and then you could race for free right?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Orange and Yellow combo was Brian Beck's, he is from Lubbock, and the Losi blue, green and white combo was Michael Johnson from Amarillo.

I think it was Eubanks, I remember them saying they were from Amarillo. His wife was from Oklahoma orginally as I spoke to her because she had an OU shirt on...and told him to tell how well did OU do against Texas hehe.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

See, should have bought a Slash and saved a couple hundred bucks which you could now use for racing..... But hey, maybe you could always get sponsored like everyone else in this thread and then you could race for free right?
Ha!!! I wish i was sponsored. My wallet and bank account are my sponsors. Yes the Slash is cheap so people can get into the hobby for reasonable start up costs. Some like to race while others just bash. Im a competative person so im a racer. I love this hobby and will support all aspects of it from lowend to highend.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by supralative View Post
I think it was Eubanks, I remember them saying they were from Amarillo. His wife was from Oklahoma orginally as I spoke to her because she had an OU shirt on...and told him to tell how well did OU do against Texas hehe.
Yep thats him. Tina is a huge OU fan and he is a t.u. fan (yes of course its U.T. but Im an Aggie and hate all things U.T. so its t.u. for me!) Gig em!!!
They wont be coming since they just bought a new house not to long ago. Only three of us are going to be able to make the trip. Noone else wants to pay the $65 entry fee. I think its a little to much to but im ready to get the '10 season started so im coming. We only have 3 SC8's making the trip so hopefully there are some local guys with some that can come out and play!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I just bought a Slash 4x4 Platinum and an SC8 so I'm kind of tapped out for this month....
Old 02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yep thats him. Tina is a huge OU fan and he is a t.u. fan (yes of course its U.T. but Im an Aggie and hate all things U.T. so its t.u. for me!) Gig em!!!
They wont be coming since they just bought a new house not to long ago. Only three of us are going to be able to make the trip. Noone else wants to pay the $65 entry fee. I think its a little to much to but im ready to get the '10 season started so im coming. We only have 3 SC8's making the trip so hopefully there are some local guys with some that can come out and play!!!
cool
we will see you out there
a few us are gonna make the RC Pro round out that way this year
so we will see you there again also
Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Some like to race while others just bash. Im a competative person so im a racer.
I am trying figure this statement out, because if you read this, but then look at your signature, are you a racer or a basher?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service