HAMDRL

Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

I got mad last night. lol I couldnt get on here. The site kept timing out on me.

OK, back to bussiness.

We have a problem. http://www.pct3.hctx.net/rules.htm

No special events may be held in a park without prior written permission from the park superintendent and liability insurance.

Were gonna have to find another place to run, and like now! Im guessing we can get away with it one more weekend if were lucky. I have some other ideas for a temporary strip that Ill check into this weekend.

As for right now, Im gonna ask the fishing guys for help. Due to how many new threads get started there, the thread could drop way down the list in a hurry and doing the ole TTT will get us in trouble in a hurry! Ill need yalls help on keeping the thread up near the top. Creativity is a plus!

Ill call the thread,

RCers need drag strip!

Whatll happen is alot of guys will say, have you tried blah blah, yadda dadda, Intercontintal airport,, blah yadda dada. lol

Pull my finger!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

where is the thread located,any specefic 2coolfishing forum?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by insaneracin2003
where is the thread located,any specefic 2coolfishing forum?
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...ad.php?t=96178

It needs a "Bump". Being the most prolifict poster on 2Cool, I can be ignored alot of times.

Need help!!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Think about this

Hey all,
You're getting way ahead of yourselves here.

With one exception, no one posting to this thread has attended a "real" RC drag race lately but me. And, near as I know, I'm the only one in H-town in active RC drag racing competition. I am not discounting all your involvements in RC and your collective experience(s) - they are all exemplary.

Before you get all wrapped up in what to do and what not to do-my recommendation is to spend 6 months or so racing at the SA facility. Two good things will come out of that-(1) you'll get a feel for how to set up and run an event, and (2) you'll determine if RC drag racing is an aspect of the hobby you REALLY want to persue.

FWIW-I looked into what it would cost to set up drag racing in H-town, and scrubbed it against the travel time and expense of going to SA. SA came out ahead every time. Granted, I did this in a vacuum, but the cost analysis still came out in SA's favor, even when I factored in a small (10 or less) COMMITTED group.

I welcome your thoughts on this. //AC//
Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am going to SA Sataurday. Just to see what it is all about.
I will also be at the T&T on Sunday. I am glad it is in the park this week.
I think we all really need to talk in person Sunday.
See y'all Sunday.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AHR43
Hey all,
You're getting way ahead of yourselves here.

With one exception, no one posting to this thread has attended a "real" RC drag race lately but me. And, near as I know, I'm the only one in H-town in active RC drag racing competition. I am not discounting all your involvements in RC and your collective experience(s) - they are all exemplary.

Before you get all wrapped up in what to do and what not to do-my recommendation is to spend 6 months or so racing at the SA facility. Two good things will come out of that-(1) you'll get a feel for how to set up and run an event, and (2) you'll determine if RC drag racing is an aspect of the hobby you REALLY want to persue.

FWIW-I looked into what it would cost to set up drag racing in H-town, and scrubbed it against the travel time and expense of going to SA. SA came out ahead every time. Granted, I did this in a vacuum, but the cost analysis still came out in SA's favor, even when I factored in a small (10 or less) COMMITTED group.

I welcome your thoughts on this. //AC//
Howdy AC!

Ill try and go in order of your post. This is hard to explain as to why were being so aggressive. It all started with a thread I started on Trinity's Tech Talk back in 96-97 I guess. It was called "Is Offroad dead"? Back in 94 we would see 100 entries on a Saturday night club race. And then the bottom fell out. The word was alot of folks were mad at the track owner and just quit racing they were that mad! People around the country couldnt understand why we were having problems getting racers in at what was left of our tracks. The rest of them were doing well and we were lucky to have a B main. Or even have enough people to hold a race! 10 years later, its not much better. Maybe Lyn will agree with when I say Houston has a very short attention span and unless you grab them quick and constantly keep their attention, the motivation factor quickly disolves and Houston looses interest. I dont know why, wish I did!

Going to race at SAMDRAL? Myself, I would love too! Theres just no way I have the time, nor does anyone else on a regular basis. Heck, I get 3 hours of free time per weekday and I spend most of that trying to promote the hobby on the net. Thats what I do best I think. At least I try.

Hopefully, a few "Key" guys will run at SAMDRAL and bring back the knowledge required to make HAMDRAL succesfull and grow the hobby as a whole.

Bottom line, time is short, guys are allready losing interest just like in the Vintage class and I totally belive we should get as agressive as possible if were going to make this work! But I could be wrong as I often are! lol.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:17 PM
PD2
Tech Master

Wow! Missed all of these posts some how.....this site is quirky sometimes - it will send you e-mails of posts in one thread for EVERY THING that gets posted and then this one I have only seen one post from......any way.

First, Biff, I kind of figured there was some legality issue with running like you guys have been running at the park. I remember back in the skateboarding days have issues with the park allowing us to run the semi half pipe drainage areas - most times they ran us out saying the same thing.

Second, I can understand what AC is talking about and saying. Learning from an established track will only help us to run one here in Houston. Problem is, I also know and totally understand what Biff is saying - speaking from personal experience, there is no way I'd have any time to go to SA to run a race there - 6 hours in one day on the road is a little too much driving for me personally. Hence, why I feel that we do need a place to run here.

Third, Biggie and I talked about some of this Friday night. Not to tag the place that we run to a particular hobby shop, but if one of the places would work with us to secure some asphalt near a shop, then we would not only have a place to run, but there would be a shop near by to supply the parts. I don't care if its Hobby Town, M&M, Randy's or whoever. I think that may be a wise move. Problem would be finding a shop that had some good asphalt or concrete laid to run on. Aside from doing something like this, I think that having a little chunk of land some place would be the most optimal plan, but, where and who would own it and take on the insurance, etc?? Track wise, it would be nothing but a 24' x 300' area - 7200 sq. ft. The rest of the area is parking and pitting.

We may need to do a meeting of the minds some place and time in the near future to get our thoughts together, collectively. I think that if we do not get a bit more organized, it will fall apart. And, like Biff, I may be totally wrong, as I usually am with him.

PD2
Old 11-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Regular

This isnt working out. Lets go home!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 PM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ffiB
This isnt working out. Lets go home!
What? To 2CRT? Or are you talking about taking your bat and ball and going home.

PD2
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PD2
What? To 2CRT? Or are you talking about taking your bat and ball and going home.

PD2
I dont know if its my puter or what, but I have a really hard time getting on here.

AC is probably right. Were, or should I say, Im trying to ramrod this thing forward too quickly! One of my many personality flaws is when I get into something, I go in full bore, pedal to the medal and many more cliches! And I have a tendancy to take charge and try to "Pull" everyone else in the direction I envision which doesnt allways work with others with a more methodical approach.

Im gonna step back a little and relax!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default NOT!

I don't see anyone pushing too hard. Maybe we are alike in that respect. Each thread needs people to post daily or more to keep them from falling off the page. Ours don't have that yet. Each T&T has new folks coming and seeing what it's all about. Our regulars are even getting there barring a family event conflict. I'm thinking it is the holiday season is the culprit for the threads slowing abit. So please keep going with your promotion, tech tips/guestions and just cool abservations. I'll keep adding my thoughts a word at a time.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:11 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dragmaster
I don't see anyone pushing too hard. Maybe we are alike in that respect. Each thread needs people to post daily or more to keep them from falling off the page. Ours don't have that yet. Each T&T has new folks coming and seeing what it's all about. Our regulars are even getting there barring a family event conflict. I'm thinking it is the holiday season is the culprit for the threads slowing abit. So please keep going with your promotion, tech tips/guestions and just cool abservations. I'll keep adding my thoughts a word at a time.
I have to agree with Biggie, Biffster! I don't think you are ramrodding or pushing this things too hard at all. Remember what Griz said about SAMDRL - he posted info EVERY WHERE he went, even at auto parts stores and hobby shops that would let him. He even agreed that promotion, promotion, promotion was the key. I think you are doing fine taking the lead and in some way, we do need people to lead in various areas and venues. To me, this is your specialty. We will all have that within us and when the time, event or opportunity is right, it should come out and be used properly. It's what makes us a team - a real team.

Now, GIT R DUN!!!!!

Oh, and as for this site, it have 38,720 members, with over 2.7 million posts to date. With that size and depending on what server they have this place on, when it gets night time, things can get a bit crowded and a little hard to access. When I got the alert about your post I tried to get out here and the entire site had went belly up due to some issue - I could not access the forum. It just all depends on when you access it and it appears you only hit it at night. Plus, you PC needs to do some more caching of the site so it does not have to wait on the server to respond with all the changes and repeat content each time you try to access the site - I'm sure its done that over at 2CRT by now.

It's all good!

PD2
Old 11-29-2006, 03:51 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Hey guys.......

Have we thought about maybe taking the racing to a local car dealership's parking lot? Do any of us have contacts with friends or people we know at a car dealership? To me, that would definitely grab some attention with people looking at cars and leverage a nice large parking lot at the same time.

Thoughts?

PD2
Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I have no friends.....

that work at a dealership.

Sunday morning or weekends may be their busiest times although thinking about it the areas in back where service and bodyshop parking may be accessible.

Keep up with new car selections too.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Were losing guys interest and its bothering me. I think my rap has run dry. I cant come up with anything to motivate the troops and kick this thing into second gear. Im losing my "Majic" LOL

Im sure part of the problem is where we are running. We need to do something guys, and like NOW!