Like Tree3Likes

Backyard RC Grasstrack

Old 04-19-2024, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Been a while since posting to this thread! Actually forgot starting it until doing a search of subscribed threads looking for a place to land this post.

Guess back yard tracks have sort of fallen out of favor after the end of the Covid crisis. Racers and bashers returning to the fields and courses of their choosing.

Focus for me now is no-prep drag racing. Still, a back yard track has its appeal for a quick and dirty throw down or a hasty test session. Did the 2024 version as a tri-oval. Track is quite small and find I can carry more speed with a tri-oval than conventional oval. Still a grass track and cut to 1in (2.54cm). Grass outside the track is 3in (7.62cm) serving as a barrier of sorts.

Truck is my AE MT10 mod fit with P-L Gladiator SCT tires on Raid 14mm hex wheels.

AE MT10X on the starting pad 'brickyard' back yard grass track tri-oval

2024 ahr43 UTRL back yard tri-oval
Old 05-06-2024, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Latest addition to the track design, added an in/out pit access lane. Image is looking from the tail end of the track toward the head end. Start/Finish brickyard on the left of the tri-oval near the top of the image.

This cut will aid left turning cars on positioning for start lap and provide right turning cars easier pit lane access for drive-thru penalties.

Pit lane tri-oval track access looking west to east from tail end of track
Old 05-15-2024, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Arnie, your backyard track is pretty awesome. Makes me think I should dust off one of my old xxx trucks and show up for one of your races , or a head to head.
I live in Katy. I would put a track in my backyard, but dog would go nuts chasing them.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, cj. Hope you and your family are o.k. following last night's extreme windstorm. 80mph winds took down my cedar tree, but the track and the BBQ grill survived.

Sure, shake the water out of one of those xxx trucks and bring it over. Be a while, though until I get the debris removed from the back yard. Track is tight with 36" lanes so head-to-head at my skill level is probably a no go. Run for time though and maybe take home the track record with your xxx?

My dog is just the opposite. Pays my RC's no never mind. She lays in the middle of a lane when she's outside and have to drive around her. Even if I nudge her from behind with the RC she just treats it as a nuisance and ignores it.

Cheers and stay safe. Trying times. -AC

Backyard track in the wet

Cedar tree down
Old 05-20-2024, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Closed out Round 1 on the grass track racing ladder today. Rustler R43X beat out three other trucks with a one second quicker time. Really surprised me as this truck hasn't been run for quite some time. Even had to re-link the radio prior to running.

That earns her P-T-P (Push-To-Pass) THR setting for round 2. This is the last round of competition for standing starts. Spent time today working and testing with the radio to begin using rolling starts for races. Think I've broken the code on that. See how it shakes out for round 2. Looking for better and more accurate times.

Cheers. -AC

R43X Rustler on the grass track 'yard of bricks.'
Old 05-24-2024, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Senton 2S buggy ran the grass track tri-oval yesterday. First time for rolling start T&S. That and regearing 18/91 for 5.05 ratio she laid down a 2min:38sec combined time for two 10-lap heats. A full 14sec faster than her round 1 time. Oh, and a new track record to boot. Anxious now to see if the next two trucks to run improve times just as much.

Also pre-raked the lanes, apron and infield to clear all the grass clippings and pine needles. Much less trash pick up inside the chassis as a result. Possibly a bit better traction as well.

JConcepts tires FR and RR. Carvers and Choppers. 3700Kv sensorless 3660 can. 2s x 5000 100C 7.4v LiPo. -AC

Senton 2S buggy 2024 Event 5 semi-final
Old 05-26-2024, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Waiting for the rain to clear at the Indy 500, set the driver platform in place. Last platform I had for ST oval track was wood. Termites made short work of that. Like to see them try with this one. Works to give me a bit better view of the far turns at the tail end of the tri-oval. Adds a bit to the professionalism of the track as well. Cheers. -AC

concrete block driver platform-UTRL grass track tri-oval
Old 06-02-2024, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Early morning "Chamber of Commerce" promotional image of the track.

Rustler 'Blue Streak' surprised me with a record setting 10-lap run of 1min:16sec. Regrettably, fell off on the second 10-lapper. Driver (me) kept getting out of lane onto the outside apron scrubbing precious seconds off the time. This was a semi-final run. Interest to see if its overall time is enough to advance it to the finals.

JC 2.2 ST tires all around. Carvers up front; Goosebumps on the rear.

-AC

Early morning image shows track definition

Rusty #2. 3300Kv 3650 can sensorless
Old 06-23-2024, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Event 4 closes out with our Typhon-bodied 2WD Senton SCT chassis taking a Grass Track series win. Laying down a 1min:13sec first session track record run and backing it up with a 1min:17sec second session put it victory lane with a record 2min:30sec combined time.

Other half of the Event 4 final on Saturday had Rusty #2 Blue Streak Special falling short on overall time after re-setting the single session time of the Senton by 1sec and 1min:12sec ten-lap time.

Final was not without drama though. Rusty #2 filed a protest on Friday claiming the Senton 1:13 time was "too quick" and requested a revalidation of time and lap count. RD and T&S stood by its decision on the Senton time and disallowed the protest kicking it up to UTRL for final adjudication. UTRL concurred and disallowed the protest. However, it did allow Rusty #2 a one-time exception to run P-T-P in its second session. Push-To-Pass (P-T-P) setting for all future entrants are under review by the Competition Committee. -AC

Last edited by AHR43; 06-23-2024 at 06:25 AM. Reason: addl info
Old 07-06-2024, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Backyard Tri-Oval is inactive while the trucks are re-configured and running a 66ft no-prep SuperComp RC drag series. Track is still available upon request for test sessions.

Have two major upgrades in mind during the inactive period. Meantime, here's a tour of the pit area. This season pitting for the series under the patio portion of our screened in sun porch. No more pine needles, pine sap or squirrel droppings on the trucks, thank you very much. Much better environment underfoot too. Easier to find the stuff I always drop during the 10-minute maintenance break between rounds.

Trucks then have to exit pit area and make their way along the pit lane footpath to enter and exit the track. Pit lane grass cut to the same level as the track. Makes for a bit more realism in the racing. Also adds the provision for drive-through penalty when needed. Cheers. -AC

ahr43 GrassTrack pit

Tri-Oval pit lane footpath just in front of the butterfly shepherd hook and rose bush