• 1 Post By fredswain
  • 1 Post By Rodarbal
  • 1 Post By fredswain

Newman's Raceway

Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Newman's Raceway

New track opened up in the old Firestone building in Brenham, Tx. Cool place to run on road and 2wd Buggy
Rodarbal and cw3jperry5 like this.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last Sunday I stopped by there with a friend as we were just passing through town from a weekend of camping in the hill country. We got there right as 2wd buggy was starting. It's the first carpet track that I've ever seen in person that was running offroad. I'm an old school dirt guy but it looks really fun. The track is small enough that it's easy to see all of it. That's something I have a big issue with on larger tracks. My depth perception goes to crap really fast and I can't tell where the car is. The speeds in 17.5 look like it'll be pretty easy to keep a car in one piece during a wipeout. Time to race is nearly non-existent for me and it's a 2 hour drive, but it certainly looks like a fun place.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, guys. I am going to check this out. I live NW Houston and Brenham is a lot easier for me to get to than Houston tracks. Never seen a carpet track, and its been years since I've done 2wd buggy. But having a smaller track my eyes can handle sounds good. Hopefully, the drivers stand is low too. You guys have a link or addy to the exact location?

[[b] Edit: found it on LiveRC. I will plan a drive out there. ]

Regards,
AC

Last edited by AHR43; 05-03-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

It's possible I'll be out there for test n tune on Thurs night. I'll just have my Euro Truck, though.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah RJ. Looks like the Thursday TnT may be what I do as well. Put a cell call into the track today and left a message. Have not heard back yet, so not sure about track status. Owner is probably just busy with other stuff. Planning a drive there next Tuesday to check the track out. Do not have a car that will run there, but will buy a 2wd buggy if it looks o.k. Interested, but skeptical. Been burned by too many tracks in my time with this hobby.
AC
Old 05-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Arnie, this place is legit! I've been there one other night for TnT. Brad Newman, the owner, is a stand up guy. Tyler Morgan is on hand if he's not available. Weekends are tough for me to make it out as we're usually racing at Thornhill on Saturdays. That may change in the summer. My job brings me to Houston several times a month and if I time things right I can drop by Newman's on the way home on Thursdays.

As for running 2wd buggy, you'll need to get a set of Proline Primes. Traction is UNBELIEVABLE on the black carpet!
AHR43 likes this.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, RJ. Right you are. It is the real deal. Did the drive to check it out today. A.O.K. by me. And, yep, PL Primes are the spec 2.2 tire for the track. Now to get a 2wd Ebug.

Oh, and thanks, kstorm. Without your OP posting of this thread, I'd a missed this track.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a pic I took during offroad racing a couple of weeks ago.

AHR43 likes this.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We just started the Texas F1 Series this weekend guys and it was a huge hit. 17 F1s and 1 missing. The next season should be even bigger! People are already talking about running the next one.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Scratch that, the owner has decided to close the track.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

After years of wanting to get back into racing, I finally built a car just for this track. Several of us were going to get back into it again. Not anymore I guess. None of us are into 1/8 scale so there's a contingent of us in Houston that still aren't going to be involved. It sucks.