Wiki Posts
Search

HobbyTown Sale and Races

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM
COZ
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Note the race coordinator cancelled this Sunday due to my job, y'all cancelled the rest of the year. There could have been one to two more races.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by COZ
Note the race coordinator cancelled this Sunday due to my job, y'all cancelled the rest of the year. There could have been one to two more races.
Chris, you came into HobbyTown a month or so ago and made a commitment to us that you would be here for all of the scheduled races and you unfortunately broke that commitment with two scheduled races remaining. We would NOT have started racing if we felt that you would maybe be here on race day. Based on the fact that you broke this commitment we decided to cancel the last race(s) as well. We do understand that your primary job comes first but all actions have reactions and this was an inconvenience to our customers who had planned to attend the race. We couldn't afford to have the same thing possibly happen for the next and final race of the season.

We will consider racing again for the spring season.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
COZ
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I gave almost a weeks notice so therefore you could have added someone else to the schedule. I'm sorry that a 60,000 a year job comes in front of a 3 hour every other week job. Also the commitment had the stipulation that a primary job for me would precede any hobbytown race. If that wasn't good enough y'all shouldn't have been so quick to come and ask me to run y'all's races. You should have just used your employees. You should have bought a computer, or laptop, downloaded the program and ran them yourself if you were soooooo concerned with your "customers." Like I said you were notified on Monday that I wouldn't be there Sunday. That's more than ample time.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default HT Races

Being a local business man i know for a fact that customers are first and foremost.It might take a long time to gain a customers trust and loyalty but only takes one screw up to lose that same customer.KW,you have got to do what you have to in order to keep that customer base happy.If there is any way i can help give me a shout.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Moneymaker77
Being a local business man i know for a fact that customers are first and foremost.It might take a long time to gain a customers trust and loyalty but only takes one screw up to lose that same customer.KW,you have got to do what you have to in order to keep that customer base happy.If there is any way i can help give me a shout.
I appreciate that! I'll definitely hit you up when we get the racing going again in the spring next year . I do agree with your statement though. It's hard work to gain customers and to earn their trust and it does take just one bad instance to ruin that good relationship. It's unfortunate that we had to cancel the remaining events but we will regroup for next year and I think we will have races that are better than ever.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Kris,

Does the management at HT even interview their employees ensure a common knowledge of anything even remotely mechanical. I came in tonight and three workers were behind the counter. Two were with other customers and the third was working on a customer's heli. The latter offered me his assistance and I asked for a bag of washers that the website said was in stock. Just a simple bag of 2mm thick washers for 3mm screws. I even told him the brand just to make it easier. We were standing directly in front of the rack. First off, the employee had no idea what I was asking for. The first packs he gets are all standard. Then he looked for anything that says 2mm on the label. The first few offerings were all for 2mm screws so I again stated the size of washers that I was looking for. He looks all over the shelf and can't find them. I'm fine with that since I know that live inventories are not always correct. He offers to look in the plane department so I let him see if anything will work. He returns with a pack of #2 standard washers and tells me that these should work no problem. Not only are these not even remotely close to what I asked for, but he advised a purchase on something he obviously had no clue about. I could tell he was flustered as he said the other employee would have to help me. I waited by the counter until the other employee was finished with his customer. Then I waited some more, and then some more. Standing with my hands on the counter looking him straight in the face, he never offered any help and commenced chatting with another employee. My wife and I eventually just left.

How do you expect knowledgeable people to shop in your store if the employees you hire are sub-par? I can live with not being able to find a part on the shelf. I can't, however, put up with an employee that doesn't know the difference between standard and metric parts and then advises me to purchase something that is completely useless. I know you can get by with a lot when you are dealing with some kid and his parents that don't know any better, but you guys are really just embarrassing yourselves when talking to a customer with any knowledge of the hobby. I cringe at the thought of the countless new comers to the hobby that have been "advised" by your employees on their purchases. The only thing I will ever be purchasing in HT will be paint from now on, and I will be urging everyone I know to take their business elsewhere. Rant over.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Not trying to be argumentative, but you can't expect to find experts at chain stores. For instance, I've been a musician for 25 years, and when I go to guitar center, I know what I'm after and I usually teach the teenagers working there a thing or two before I leave so that hopefully they can better help their future customers. And yes I usually have to show them how to find what I need. I don't take my car to Wal-mart to get the brakes worked on either... cause I wanna live, LOL.

That being said, I'm a newb to RC still with only a little over a year's experience. So, other than Hobbytown's staff being very busy (usually) when I'm there... I have found them to be pretty darn helpful. Most of their staff knows a lot more than I do. If I need a true expert, I get help here on RCTech from pro drivers etc, then order my parts or go to HT and hope they're in stock. If the HT employee was just plain bad at serving you, call the store manager.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The most irritating thing is trying to sell me something I don't need. If you don't have something in stock, that's fine. I just hate to think of all the people (kid's especially) that go in looking for parts and don't get the help they really need.

As far as the employees go, a couple of the guys that mess with the helis and planes seem to have a little better knowledge base than the land rc guys. The first guy really tried to help, he just had no clue what he was doing. I don't expect them to be experts either, but I do expect them to know the difference in standard and metric units. I went in a few weeks ago looking for after run oil. After repeated attempts by an employee to sell me air filter oil instead, I left frustrated and empty handed. Just make sure you are looking for a traxxas part and you have the exact part number. It's hard for them to screw that up.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

I drive Losi and Schumacher.... so.....
Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JEDI BASS
Not trying to be argumentative, but you can't expect to find experts at chain stores. For instance, I've been a musician for 25 years, and when I go to guitar center, I know what I'm after and I usually teach the teenagers working there a thing or two before I leave so that hopefully they can better help their future customers. And yes I usually have to show them how to find what I need. I don't take my car to Wal-mart to get the brakes worked on either... cause I wanna live, LOL.

That being said, I'm a newb to RC still with only a little over a year's experience. So, other than Hobbytown's staff being very busy (usually) when I'm there... I have found them to be pretty darn helpful. Most of their staff knows a lot more than I do. If I need a true expert, I get help here on RCTech from pro drivers etc, then order my parts or go to HT and hope they're in stock. If the HT employee was just plain bad at serving you, call the store manager.
Walmart does not do brakes.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
Walmart does not do brakes.
They do nothing to my cars .
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rsawyers9
Kris,

Does the management at HT even interview their employees ensure a common knowledge of anything even remotely mechanical. I came in tonight and three workers were behind the counter. Two were with other customers and the third was working on a customer's heli. The latter offered me his assistance and I asked for a bag of washers that the website said was in stock. Just a simple bag of 2mm thick washers for 3mm screws. I even told him the brand just to make it easier. We were standing directly in front of the rack. First off, the employee had no idea what I was asking for. The first packs he gets are all standard. Then he looked for anything that says 2mm on the label. The first few offerings were all for 2mm screws so I again stated the size of washers that I was looking for. He looks all over the shelf and can't find them. I'm fine with that since I know that live inventories are not always correct. He offers to look in the plane department so I let him see if anything will work. He returns with a pack of #2 standard washers and tells me that these should work no problem. Not only are these not even remotely close to what I asked for, but he advised a purchase on something he obviously had no clue about. I could tell he was flustered as he said the other employee would have to help me. I waited by the counter until the other employee was finished with his customer. Then I waited some more, and then some more. Standing with my hands on the counter looking him straight in the face, he never offered any help and commenced chatting with another employee. My wife and I eventually just left.

How do you expect knowledgeable people to shop in your store if the employees you hire are sub-par? I can live with not being able to find a part on the shelf. I can't, however, put up with an employee that doesn't know the difference between standard and metric parts and then advises me to purchase something that is completely useless. I know you can get by with a lot when you are dealing with some kid and his parents that don't know any better, but you guys are really just embarrassing yourselves when talking to a customer with any knowledge of the hobby. I cringe at the thought of the countless new comers to the hobby that have been "advised" by your employees on their purchases. The only thing I will ever be purchasing in HT will be paint from now on, and I will be urging everyone I know to take their business elsewhere. Rant over.
Well I'll be sure to investigate this for you and make sure that such a situation doesn't happen again. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the time of your visit (so I can check security camera footage) and which employees you dealt with either by name or description. I will be investigating with everyone involved to get to the bottom of this. I do hold my employees to a certain standard and if that is not met then they will be dealt with.

With that being said, as I've mentioned in other posts, not everyone in the RC department is specialized in RC cars. There are some RC employees that work specifically with airplanes or helicopters and may not even know the basics about cars. To be honest I'm puzzled by the fact that any of my employees may not know the difference between standard and metric because I do feel they are fairly knowledgable and would know about such a difference. Since I work with them I can't say I recall any instance that something like this happened which is why I hope you can message me a detailed description of what transpired.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

hey Kris do u know if the store will be having any black friday deals going on? the wife wants to get some things from there for the kids. thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by randyw
hey Kris do u know if the store will be having any black friday deals going on? the wife wants to get some things from there for the kids. thanks
Yes. I am currently making a new thread about that so it doesn't get confused with the sales information in this thread.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by randyw
I will be posting this information later today. I was working on it a second ago and I am going to have the owner proofread it before I post the info. If all goes well this information will be posted tonight. Be sure you are checking your email and I can say that Wednesday will be the best day for HobbyCard customers to get in on the sales action. The percentage will be bigger than on the weekend (except for r/c items over $100) and you get dibs on everything before regular customers will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.