Like Tree312Likes

R1 Wurks brushless motors

Old 06-05-2024, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm running a R1 Wurks 21.5 V21-S in my MTC2 TC on asphalt track (145' x 65) and I'm running 3.07 FDR (89/55)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
I'm running a R1 Wurks 21.5 V21-S in my MTC2 TC on asphalt track (145' x 65) and I'm running 3.07 FDR (89/55)
What are your motor temps after a 6-minute race? I'm on a smaller asphalt track (80ft straight) and was advised to run an FDR of 3.9. After about 2 minutes my motor was about 130 degrees. I had heard that the R1 motors ran a bit hotter but I'm really not sure what is too hot.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
What are your motor temps after a 6-minute race? I'm on a smaller asphalt track (80ft straight) and was advised to run an FDR of 3.9. After about 2 minutes my motor was about 130 degrees. I had heard that the R1 motors ran a bit hotter but I'm really not sure what is too hot.
iíve always tried to keep my motors below 160 degrees
EricW likes this.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

​​​​​​​We run 5 minute qualifiers and mains. Motor comes off at 128-134* on an 85* day.
EricW likes this.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

That temp is fine after a couple minutes. A good operating temp is 145-155. It's ok to hit a higher temp once or twice but, 145-155 is where you should be.
EricW likes this.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

It also helps that my R1 Wurks 21.5 V21-S was tuned by Chris at Alpha Pace. In my experience, aligning the sensors and properly shimming the rotor yields better performance at a lower amp draw thus lower temps.
EricW, bertottius and Jcrowland2 like this.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll adjust my FDR on Saturday and see how it goes.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

So, I finally had a chance to adjust my FDR for my track.

Original FDR 101/41

First Round went to 96/45. Compared to my original FDR the car felt ballistic. However, I had a ball stud backout on the rear link, so I wasn't able to finish the run (about 2.5 minutes into the run). After the race I went to get my car and the marshal said my motor was "screaming hot". (He unplugged my battery so the fan turned off on the motor so it cooled on it's own - ouch!!) By the time I was able to check the temps on the motor it had been about 4 minutes from when the car was pulled off the track. Motor temps was about 120 degrees, no idea where it started but I felt like I should come down 2 teeth on the pinion. (Track temp for this round was mid to high 80s)

Second Round went to 96/43. Car still felt great compared to my original FDR, still felt very fast and some of the guys I am normally a bit faster than I was able to lap them twice through the run. Finished first and made it to the A main starting in 4th place right behind the 3 guys who are normally the ones to beat. Was very happy about that. (track temp for this round was low 80s)

Mains, I stayed at 96/43 but I probably should have gone back to 96/45 as the track temps at this point were in the mid/high 70s. (However, I'm a chicken and didn't want to smoke my motor) Car felt great again, started 4th and stayed in 4th until I got a body tuck. Once that was fixed, I had dropped to 6th but was able to work my way back to 4th for the finish. I'm pretty happy with the results and the performance of the car/motor. Temp after a 6-minute race was around 141 degrees

After the race I did have 2 different guys ask me what I had done to my car because it was so much faster than normal.

Thanks for the help everyone and thanks to R1 for making a great motor.
Old 07-22-2024, 11:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So, I finally had a chance to adjust my FDR for my track.

Original FDR 101/41

First Round went to 96/45. Compared to my original FDR the car felt ballistic. However, I had a ball stud backout on the rear link, so I wasn't able to finish the run (about 2.5 minutes into the run). After the race I went to get my car and the marshal said my motor was "screaming hot". (He unplugged my battery so the fan turned off on the motor so it cooled on it's own - ouch!!) By the time I was able to check the temps on the motor it had been about 4 minutes from when the car was pulled off the track. Motor temps was about 120 degrees, no idea where it started but I felt like I should come down 2 teeth on the pinion. (Track temp for this round was mid to high 80s)

Second Round went to 96/43. Car still felt great compared to my original FDR, still felt very fast and some of the guys I am normally a bit faster than I was able to lap them twice through the run. Finished first and made it to the A main starting in 4th place right behind the 3 guys who are normally the ones to beat. Was very happy about that. (track temp for this round was low 80s)

Mains, I stayed at 96/43 but I probably should have gone back to 96/45 as the track temps at this point were in the mid/high 70s. (However, I'm a chicken and didn't want to smoke my motor) Car felt great again, started 4th and stayed in 4th until I got a body tuck. Once that was fixed, I had dropped to 6th but was able to work my way back to 4th for the finish. I'm pretty happy with the results and the performance of the car/motor. Temp after a 6-minute race was around 141 degrees

After the race I did have 2 different guys ask me what I had done to my car because it was so much faster than normal.

Thanks for the help everyone and thanks to R1 for making a great motor.
Those FDR's sound under geared.

My Orca was happy in the 3.6 FDR range at RCHR. I was up on speed and lap times with Blake, Rob and Shawn at the trophy race.

You could be generating motor heat from running the RPM too much and not using the torque of the motor.
Being under geared can give the illusion youre over geared because itll run hotter.

gigaplex likes this.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Robbob
Those FDR's sound under geared.

My Orca was happy in the 3.6 FDR range at RCHR. I was up on speed and lap times with Blake, Rob and Shawn at the trophy race.

You could be generating motor heat from running the RPM too much and not using the torque of the motor.
Being under geared can give the illusion youre over geared because itll run hotter.
I'll try new gearing again on Saturday and see what happens. I'll need to get a different spur; I can't get a larger pinion than a 45 with my 96 spur. What gearing were you using when you were at RCHR?
Old 07-22-2024, 02:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'll try new gearing again on Saturday and see what happens. I'll need to get a different spur; I can't get a larger pinion than a 45 with my 96 spur. What gearing were you using when you were at RCHR?
96/48 with my Mi9 which puts me at 3.64FDR for the Firecracker 500
https://rchr.liverc.com/results/?p=v...ult&id=5202473