Like Tree310Likes

R1 Wurks brushless motors

Old 11-12-2023, 02:06 AM
  #1321  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,425
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by woofenstein
So I have two R1 21.5T motors that I tested on the SkyRC Analyzer. I tried to get them close-ish to the 6 amp range to see how they compare to each other. The V21-S has always seem slow to me but it was the first "real" 21.5T motor that I ever had, got it used on eBay. I am new at this and am basically trying to troubleshoot this motor to see if there is a problem with it.

R1 V21 21.5T
6.4 Amps
53 degrees: 53 - 54 - 52
KV - 3148
RPM - 22355

R1 V21-S 215T
6.6 Amps
KV - 2593
RPM - 18155
43 degrees: 43 - 42 - 43

Why the huge disparity between the two? I know they are different series motors but should the difference be that big? Are either of these motors appearing to perform to factory spec?

Thanks for the help, I'm new at this and don't know what I'm doing yet.
Because the 6A "rule" is obsolete, don't use that method. Could be a bad bearing adding drag, or the lower KV motor just might have a higher torque rotor.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 11-12-2023, 07:32 AM
  #1322  
Tech Apprentice
 
woofenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 64
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Because the 6A "rule" is obsolete, don't use that method. Could be a bad bearing adding drag, or the lower KV motor just might have a higher torque rotor.
Yeah I see guys seem to be running higher amps than that these days! Thank you for your reply, I did try replacing the bearings and that didn't seem to change anything.

Regarding the torque differences, is there anywhere I can find the factory specs for the V21 and V21-S so I can compare my motors to see if they are anywhere near factory spec that I can test and compare against? R1 has plot graphs for the 17.5 but I couldn't find one for the 21.5 motors.

Thanks!
woofenstein is offline  
Old 12-07-2023, 10:47 AM
  #1323  
Tech Master
 
mac853's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dirty place
Posts: 1,981
Default

Dear R1 Wurks, since 21.5T motors of Volta and V21-s are homologated under ROAR, so could you recommend me which of them fits most to run on carpet touring car, please?
About rotors, if use long high torque rotor for v21-s motors, you mentioned as "upgrade to this long rotor, you will need a short sensor board", why need to buy this sensor but in fact is included already as original?
mac853 is offline  
Old 12-25-2023, 02:58 PM
  #1324  
Tech Initiate
 
Smokem Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Originally Posted by mac853
Dear R1 Wurks, since 21.5T motors of Volta and V21-s are homologated under ROAR, so could you recommend me which of them fits most to run on carpet touring car, please?
About rotors, if use long high torque rotor for v21-s motors, you mentioned as "upgrade to this long rotor, you will need a short sensor board", why need to buy this sensor but in fact is included already as original?
The V21-S or the new Super Short would be best choices.
Smokem Racing is offline  
Old 12-31-2023, 12:04 PM
  #1325  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 1
Default

What about the HD version?
ksg55 is offline  
Old 12-31-2023, 12:38 PM
  #1326  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
tbrymer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,560
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ksg55
What about the HD version?
HD version is a beefed up V21S and will give you same performance. Will work great for onroad.
tbrymer is offline  
Old 01-03-2024, 08:10 PM
  #1327  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Central California
Posts: 60
Default

I have a 13.5T V21-S that had started to develop a noise under throttle. Ive been told by the guys at the track that this is the stator coming loose in the can. Ive taken the end bells off the motor, but I can't find anything obviously loose. Is there a trick to figuring out which stator is loose, and how do I go about fixing it?
C_alan is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 03:30 PM
  #1328  
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,859
Default

Originally Posted by C_alan
I have a 13.5T V21-S that had started to develop a noise under throttle. Ive been told by the guys at the track that this is the stator coming loose in the can. Ive taken the end bells off the motor, but I can't find anything obviously loose. Is there a trick to figuring out which stator is loose, and how do I go about fixing it?
The stator is the whole center stack with all the windings. Push on it with your thumbs, if it moves at all, best to just replace the stator with your endbell parts, or replace the motor.
HarryLeach is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 04:07 PM
  #1329  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
jdearhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Darlington, SC
Posts: 636
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by C_alan
I have a 13.5T V21-S that had started to develop a noise under throttle. Ive been told by the guys at the track that this is the stator coming loose in the can. Ive taken the end bells off the motor, but I can't find anything obviously loose. Is there a trick to figuring out which stator is loose, and how do I go about fixing it?
Iíve used Permatex sleeve retainer and a toothpick to wick some of the retainer between the stator and the can before. Just let it dry really good. It doesnít take a lot either, just enough to adhere the stator to the can.
jdearhart is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 04:26 PM
  #1330  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Central California
Posts: 60
Default

Originally Posted by jdearhart
Iíve used Permatex sleeve retainer and a toothpick to wick some of the retainer between the stator and the can before. Just let it dry really good. It doesnít take a lot either, just enough to adhere the stator to the can.
Thanks, I may give this a shot. I have two motors now with the same condition. At worst I would have to buy a new stator if it doesn't work.
C_alan is offline  
Old 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM
  #1331  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
staiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Iíve been happy with my volta for 17.5 blinky carpet buggy. I wanna stay in the r1 line, but which would be best for 21.5 blinky carpet buggy?

The track is a constantly being changed throughout the year. Last tracks have been more fast, open layouts. I suspect they may switch back to tight layouts with jumps

also numbers from the motor analyzer for my 17.5 volta


that 255306 is a typo. Timing was only +1 degree off on B
staiguy is offline  
Old 01-11-2024, 07:29 AM
  #1332  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 54
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys. I have a 21.5 super short I am planning to stuff in a touring car. Have you guys noticed any power or gearing differences over the normal 21.5t v21 motors? I may do some back to back testing but I figured I would see what you guys have experienced thus far.

Thanks!
Zack
ZackM is offline  
Old 01-11-2024, 12:12 PM
  #1333  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
OffRoadJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: California
Posts: 4,541
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by C_alan
Thanks, I may give this a shot. I have two motors now with the same condition. At worst I would have to buy a new stator if it doesn't work.

Did you figure out the problem? It could be a bearing going bad. wiggle the shaft. If there is the slightest bit of play, the motor will make a screaming/loud hollowing sound.
OffRoadJunkie is offline  
Old 03-08-2024, 10:35 PM
  #1334  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 72
Default

For 1/12 17.5t, would the 12.3mm rotor be the preferred choice?
gimpy racer is offline  
Old 03-21-2024, 04:41 AM
  #1335  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 239
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I was thinking of getting an R1 but I see a lot of questions on here and nobody responds...This is a forum correct? Do the manufacturers have any reps supporting their threads?
LowDrag is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.