R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #1081
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Curtis Schlaht

Markg: I'll email you...

Alex: PM sent.....

highwayman: So how exactly did the brush wear out in 5 runs? Are you saying the brush wore so much it during these 5 runs that the back of the spring wouldn't make contact with the brush anymore? If that's true I, WOW , never heard (or seen) a XXX brush wear out in just 5 runs.....
Curtis Schlaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #1082
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Schlaht
highwayman: So how exactly did the brush wear out in 5 runs? Are you saying the brush wore so much it during these 5 runs that the back of the spring wouldn't make contact with the brush anymore? If that's true I, WOW , never heard (or seen) a XXX brush wear out in just 5 runs.....

no, it wasn't that bad, the brushes were probably 60% to70% of the original length after 5 runs. i was thinkin maybe the trinity purples were too strong ???
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:36 PM   #1083
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

I've ran purples with extra tension on them on an 8x1 with hardly any signs of wear.... the springs shouldnt be doing it...
Old 10-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #1084
Tech Addict

Brian: He was using them on a KR not at Ti3....

Jason: Purple springs should be fine, that's what I would have recommended to start off with.... What exactly was your problem? The more details the better

Curtis,
Old 10-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #1085
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

I have suffered the same problem with my Ti3 actually. Not sure exactly of the problem and haven't really tried to sort it out, just threw in a DC V2 and I was going again.

What happened to mine was that it has got great power for the first 5-6 runs, everything runs smoothly and I think its a better motor then my V2s. Then, I've had this happen with 2 sets of XXX brushes now, the motor lost power throughout the run. It dramatically lost performance and was running as if it was a Stock motor by the end of it. Not sure exactly of the problem, but when I find the problem (now that I have time away from uni exams) I'll let you guys know.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 PM   #1086
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Alonso
I have suffered the same problem with my Ti3 actually. Not sure exactly of the problem and haven't really tried to sort it out, just threw in a DC V2 and I was going again.

What happened to mine was that it has got great power for the first 5-6 runs, everything runs smoothly and I think its a better motor then my V2s. Then, I've had this happen with 2 sets of XXX brushes now, the motor lost power throughout the run. It dramatically lost performance and was running as if it was a Stock motor by the end of it. Not sure exactly of the problem, but when I find the problem (now that I have time away from uni exams) I'll let you guys know.

A wile back we had gotten in a batch of springs that wasn't bent properly, at the time we didn't notice the defect. What had happened was the hook (U-Shaped bend) at the end of the spring was flattened out a bit (making the spring a tad bit longer than it should have been). This in turn caused the spring to hit the inside of the brush hood as the brush wore, reliving tension on the brush itself, causing the motor to slow and act like a hung brush.
A simple squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers to rebind the end of the spring is a quick and easy fix.... Since we've noticed this defect we switched spring manufactures, our Ti3 modified motors now come with heavy black Reedy springs.... Hope this help, sorry for the inconvenience...

Curtis
Old 10-29-2005, 12:58 AM   #1087
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Markg: I'll email you...

Alex: PM sent.....

Highwayman

I have had the same thing happen to a KR motor I have a feeling it is a gearing issue and the fact that these brushes dont tend to chew up the comm when not geared right.

The brushes tend to not damage the comm as much if geared incorrect but get excessive wear when hot, try running the same gearing with your standard type brush and see what happens. You will probebly have no comm left! I have found the larger comm low wind mods very hard to gear just right and very flat torque band (ie Ti worlds,KRs ) better a Ti 3.
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #1088
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey Curtis, thanks for the canned power you sent me , those motors were awesome. The 7x1 5mm at 18 degrees and the 8x1 4mm at 18 degrees were stupid fast, for the 8x1 5mm I ran 22 degrees. Since I was running my stock and 19t packs which didnt have the greatest runtime from the IIC and they had been dead shorted, I was dumping the last lap and a half in qualifying with the 7x1. That was just because the traction was so high, when it was lower I could run 6 minutes on the 7x1 . So I switched to the 8x1 5mm and had no problems at all with runtime. I finished 2nd overall in mod with Much More's Keith Yu 1st and Peter Robinson 3rd. The only power I was lacking was because of my stock 3700's. Everyone running DC power at the Slugfest had tons of power.

Weylin

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:27 PM   #1089
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Mine were stuid fast as well curtis. I ran pretty much the same setups as Weylin, I just had alot of bad luck on my part. I did manage to put my VFS-1 into thermal overload in my best mod run.... lol. It was a fun weekend, learned alot as far as drivign and setup. tuned a few DC quad mag 19T for people and they had loads of rip as well.

-Korey
Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #1090
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-dub
Hey Curtis, thanks for the canned power you sent me , those motors were awesome. The 7x1 5mm at 18 degrees and the 8x1 4mm at 18 degrees were stupid fast, for the 8x1 5mm I ran 22 degrees. Since I was running my stock and 19t packs which didnt have the greatest runtime from the IIC and they had been dead shorted, I was dumping the last lap and a half in qualifying with the 7x1. That was just because the traction was so high, when it was lower I could run 6 minutes on the 7x1 . So I switched to the 8x1 5mm and had no problems at all with runtime. I finished 2nd overall in mod with Much More's Keith Yu 1st and Peter Robinson 3rd. The only power I was lacking was because of my stock 3700's. Everyone running DC power at the Slugfest had tons of power.

Weylin

Congrats on your 2nd place, that's not to shabby ..... Keep up the good work and thanks for the support.

Curtis,
Old 11-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #1091
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
Mine were stuid fast as well curtis. I ran pretty much the same setups as Weylin, I just had alot of bad luck on my part. I did manage to put my VFS-1 into thermal overload in my best mod run.... lol. It was a fun weekend, learned alot as far as drivign and setup. tuned a few DC quad mag 19T for people and they had loads of rip as well.

-Korey

Thermal shutdown , that's when you know you're going fast LOL.... Appreciate the help with the quad mags, what were you using for brushes and springs??? Just curious....

Curtis,
Old 11-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #1092
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi Curtis

The Outlaw 19T U/L is a stupid fast motor very impressed by its speed gives alot of mods something to worry about.
Have you been busy I am waiting for my order #169 can you please let me know the status of this order. Thanks.
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #1093
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner
Hi Curtis

The Outlaw 19T U/L is a stupid fast motor very impressed by its speed gives alot of mods something to worry about.
Have you been busy I am waiting for my order #169 can you please let me know the status of this order. Thanks.

Hi Bruce,

Glad you liked the motor, so far we've had nothing but good comments about the Outlaw 19 motors/arms ..... Your motors are ready to shipped, just waiting on more SXT to show up (hopefully by Thursday well get more SXT 1.0 & 2.0 in), I accidentally inputted the wrong inventory amount into our e-shop so we're over-sold by a few cans at the moment, Dohhhh , sorry about that bud....

Curtis,
Old 11-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #1094
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

F brushes with a cavity drilled in the center. I think I used one of those Racers edge #54 finger drill bits..... it's all I had at the moment. Red springs seemed to work good. I tried purples and purple/red for myself and it was too heavy, and red/green seemed too light.

-Korey

Quote:
Thermal shutdown , that's when you know you're going fast LOL.... Appreciate the help with the quad mags, what were you using for brushes and springs??? Just curious....

Curtis,
Old 11-01-2005, 05:40 PM   #1095
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
F brushes with a cavity drilled in the center. I think I used one of those Racers edge #54 finger drill bits..... it's all I had at the moment. Red springs seemed to work good. I tried purples and purple/red for myself and it was too heavy, and red/green seemed too light.

-Korey

Thanks Korey....