R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 07-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #601
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am sorta new to mod racing, i usually run 19 turn spec class. The the rule goes for me is that if the motor is getting to hot go down to a smaller pinion.

But with mod is seems to be the opposite. Will it perform better at the ratio you suggested, 30-33 is insanely high in my eyes.
The question is will i have enough run time? I am running Novak 3300.
Its hard to comprehend going to a larger pinion size with such a fast motor. I was running 33 tooth on my 19 turn motor indoors. lol

Thanks for the help guys your great!

Edward
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #602
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Curtis- Thanks again for the motors bro! They were absolutely crazy fast at Nats this weekend.

Thanks again,

TK
Old 07-24-2005, 08:36 PM   #603
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I am sorta new to mod racing, i usually run 19 turn spec class. The the rule goes for me is that if the motor is getting to hot go down to a smaller pinion.

But with mod is seems to be the opposite. Will it perform better at the ratio you suggested, 30-33 is insanely high in my eyes.
The question is will i have enough run time? I am running Novak 3300.
Its hard to comprehend going to a larger pinion size with such a fast motor. I was running 33 tooth on my 19 turn motor indoors. lol

Thanks for the help guys your great!

Edward
Ok........ 30/100 will put you at an 8.33 Final Drive. I believe this won Snowbirds this past year for a gearing with an 8x1. Now, that track is about half the straightaway you mention. So gear up.

Also....... heat is not an indication of how to gear a motor. Under gearing a motor can induce more heat than over gearing a motor in Modified as you will always be in at the Max RPM range by being under geared.

If your motor is below 220 degree then you are safe.

BTW...... and 33 tooth on your 19T sounds undergeared as well. That is only like an 7.5 final drive and I believe most 19T run between a 7.0 and 5.5 depending on the type of teardown you run.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #604
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Curtis Schlaht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe
Curtis, i have a coule of DC motors and have been happy with their performance, however the question has been asked of me about their conformation to IFMAR rules, as this is what we base the motor lists on in Australia, our rules call for no mixing of manufacturer components, as such can you please advise how your motors apply to this line of thinking?

All of our motors make use of the stock components, some of which have been modified by us (UL series), none of which have been mixed or matched with component of another manufacture.... All of our motors sold abide by the current IFAMR rules. IF there is some sort of dispute from your governing body please have one of their representatives contact me directly....

Curtis,
Curtis Schlaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #605
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Acutually i was running about 7.2 with my 19 turn, it was a QM19.

The 10x1 comm on the motor only with 2-6 run brushes was turning reddish in colour. But now i switched back to the enduro and i will see how it performs. Also i am smooth on the throttle which in turn should generate less heat ? Right?

I must say thats very intresting how you stated that undergreaing will enduce more heat then overgeared. So to sum it up i need to gear the car accordingly to the stright away. Can you give me some tips and suggestions on gearing a mod? Do's and donts ie.whats a good avg for roll outs, timing for mods.

Thanks

Edward
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #606
Tech Master

Quote:

The 10x1 comm on the motor only with 2-6 run brushes was turning reddish in colour. But now i switched back to the enduro and i will see how it performs. Also i am smooth on the throttle which in turn should generate less heat ? Right?

I must say thats very intresting how you stated that undergreaing will enduce more heat then overgeared. So to sum it up i need to gear the car accordingly to the stright away. Can you give me some tips and suggestions on gearing a mod? Do's and donts ie.whats a good avg for roll outs, timing for mods.

Thanks

Edward
Edward....

Ok. since you mainly run 19T i'll give you a good concept. Now that I know you run the Quad Mag 19T from Reedy as well.

With your present gearing of 7.2 and if you ran say......... 2.3 inch tires you would be geared at a 1.0 inch rollout. Now if your tires are smaller then you are geared even lower. Typically in the US with the Quad mag people are rolling out around 1.20 inches with a Straight of like 80-90 feet. So you are definately undergeared.

Modified........ well if the comm is turning slight reddish then you definately are geared wrong. Now, it wont' tell you if you are undergeared or overgeared as they both produce the same result. You have to listen to the motor or have someone else listen to where it maxes out on the straight.

Now I think a typical 8 turn should rollout somewhere around .8 to .90 inches which is around 22mm which the other guy mentioned. He was definately close. But this is on a 90ft or shorter track.

Also, you have to look at spring tension. You should ALWAYS run at least Purple colored springs on the motor. If you feel the motor isn't holding on good at high RPM's then try increasing the tension. You can bend the purples stiffer or look for Trinity Silver springs or something stiff. That is mainly for 8 turns or hotter.

Hope this helps........

Jeff
Old 07-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #607
Tech Addict

Quote:

Thanks

Edward

Hi Ed,

Not to say you were improperly geared but I think you will find most racers gear there QM 19's around 6.0-6.5 FDR (on tracks with 90-100ft strights), this is with rubber tires (62mm in size I think, someone please correct me if I’m mistaken)....Which would put your rollout between 30-32.5mm (the actual rollout would be different if I was mistaken on the rubber tire size)....

Jeff's right, sometimes when a mod motor has been under geared it can overheat, as it is running at or near max rpm the entire time.... Stick with the EDGE style brushes on your V2 (sprint or enduro compounds) as the edge brushes are slightly narrower than the normal round brush. Which will help with efficiency and help to generate more torque....

For the track with the 150ft straight start with a 23.7mm rollout on the 8 turn, and a 26mm rollout for the 10 turn.... These are ballpark estimates and should get you heading in the right direction...

Curtis,
Old 07-24-2005, 09:30 PM   #608
Tech Master

Rubber Tire FDR is around 6.0 to 5.5 but you were close Curtis. hehe. For carpet it really depends on the track size. Also, i would play with red or purple springs on those motors.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #609
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Rubber Tire FDR is around 6.0 to 5.5 but you were close Curtis. hehe. For carpet it really depends on the track size. Also, i would play with red or purple springs on those motors.

Jeff
Glad to see your the local motor expert, now I can take some much needed time off J/K
Old 07-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #610
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Schlaht
Glad to see your the local motor expert, now I can take some much needed time off J/K
Hey, I ain't no expert. I learn from you. haha.

Ben Griffin seems to be pretty fast as well so I kinda listen to him down here.

We'll take time off in Vegas..............

Jeff
Old 07-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #611
Tech Addict

Quote:

Ben Griffin seems to be pretty fast as well so I kinda listen to him down here.

We'll take time off in Vegas..............

Jeff
When in doubt, ask the local fast guys
Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 AM   #612
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Schlaht
All of our motors make use of the stock components, some of which have been modified by us (UL series), none of which have been mixed or matched with component of another manufacture.... All of our motors sold abide by the current IFAMR rules. IF there is some sort of dispute from your governing body please have one of their representatives contact me directly....

Curtis,
Curtis, thanks for the prompt reply, still a bit confused though, IFMAR produce a motor list with the specific motors that are allowed, as i understand it DC have 1 type of armature that is sold in Yokomo, Epic, and Orion motors. An orion labelled V2 with a D6 armature would not be legal. So along this line of thinking what brand armature do you supply? Orion, Epic or Reedy? as such one line would be legal while the other 3 ae not, sorry im getting confused
Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 AM   #613
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe
Curtis, thanks for the prompt reply, still a bit confused though, IFMAR produce a motor list with the specific motors that are allowed, as i understand it DC have 1 type of armature that is sold in Yokomo, Epic, and Orion motors. An orion labelled V2 with a D6 armature would not be legal. So along this line of thinking what brand armature do you supply? Orion, Epic or Reedy? as such one line would be legal while the other 3 ae not, sorry im getting confused

OK, this is how it works:

The UL series, if you haven't seen one in person, has a milled groove down the center of the armatures crown. When we purchase a manufactures teardown it comes with a blank armature, we either send the armature out to our machinist to have the groove milled or we use the same armature in its stock form. After we wind, balance & epoxy the armature we then put that particular type of arm back into the corresponding type of teardown.....No mixing and matching of other manufactures components.

Curtis,
Old 07-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #614
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Curtis ygpm
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #615
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Jeff, is that a little brown on your nose there? I know living in Florida gets you tan but GEEEZZZ LOL.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote