R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #976
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I know what you told me Paul. I just want to know if it is possible to get the car to work with a thick t-plate. I am just doing the same thing what Russell is doing but in a less conspicous way. I am an electronic technician that works on laser printers right now. So I have to tear them down to understand how they work. This is my thinking on the 12th scale. I go through thinking how the car would react to certain changes in setup and changes in track conditions, since i have now greatly like driving this car, and found it more enjoyable than TC. I just want to utilize my tech sklls with my hobby. If I can find away to use a thicker t-plate and do better more power to me. As you said "It takes time, setup skills, and patience." Well, I am working on the setup skills and lokking to work on driving skill. Be it be practicing or playing racing video games that give me the abillity to do changes to setups on the cars on the game. I am just trying to understand the geometry of the car and how it reacts to certain things and why.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #977
Tech Master

Tim should be able to help guide you Carlos. He knows our car well and has been racing 12th forever. His results on the track back up his mouth also.
(978) 416-2572
Hyperform Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:37 AM   #978
Tech Master

Tim, you got mail.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #979
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey, not to sound stupid. but how do you figure out your roll out. I tryied gearchart .com just got confused. right now i just switch to a 96 spur and a 34 pinion. rear tire dia. is 51mm, running 3300 and monter stocker. hand out.

now, even if you tell me what my roll out is. how does one use it to one's advantage.

I don't mean to ask so many question. I just trying to figure out all this gear ratio out.

Heck you can even point me to some where I can read about it.
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:10 AM   #980
Tech Master

Hey cyrrus! Measure your rear tire diameter (Let's say it's 1.8"). Take that number and multiply it by pi (3.14159). In this example you end up with 5.66. Now divide your spur size by your pinion size. Let's say 100 tooth spur / 25 tooth pinion = 4.0. Final step is to divide 5.66 by 4.0 wich is 1.42" <- That's your rollout
(978) 416-2572
Old 11-18-2005, 12:11 AM   #981
Tech Master

an easier way to write all that is...

(tire diameter*3.14159)/(spur/pinion)
(978) 416-2572
Old 11-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #982
Tech Master

To answer the rest of your question, I use it to maintain the performance of my car as the tires wear. Once you have a good rollout for a particular motor on a particular track, you always know what pinion / spur combo to use...
(978) 416-2572
Old 11-18-2005, 12:22 AM   #983
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs
Default 12th scale racers

Hye guys just wanted to let ya know about a new front end shim kit for pan cars. ive been using them for a while.. there like the crc ones, exept you get 5 sizes and enough to do both sides of the car.. i like them because i dont have to true down the tires to get .010 chassis change..
they also nicer then the crc ones because they are perfectly round. the crc ones i tried are slotted.. they work good on the block front ends but on the dynamic front they dont fully support the lower arm when screwed down..

http://www.geocities.com/perfectcirc...?1132236859890
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:26 AM   #984
Tech Master

I really love not having to take my front end off completely to change ride height. I'll have to check my 12th so see if it's tweaked at all...
(978) 416-2572
Old 11-18-2005, 09:08 AM   #985
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
Hye guys just wanted to let ya know about a new front end shim kit for pan cars. ive been using them for a while.. there like the crc ones, exept you get 5 sizes and enough to do both sides of the car.. i like them because i dont have to true down the tires to get .010 chassis change..
they also nicer then the crc ones because they are perfectly round. the crc ones i tried are slotted.. they work good on the block front ends but on the dynamic front they dont fully support the lower arm when screwed down..

http://www.geocities.com/perfectcirc...?1132236859890

also try fiberlight. they make them out of carbon and work great just buy two set and you'll have the sizes you need
Fiberlight.com
Mike's Hobbyshop in Dallas (RIP)
Nor-Cal Hobbies [The Race Place]
tpczx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #986
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2
Carlos, I told you about the thick T-plate a while back (use a thin t-plate!!!!!!!!!!!!). Do you think I would lie to you? Big tires tend to have more side bite but don't accelerate very fast. As they get smaller, the bite goes away. I bet if I set your car up exactly like my Rugrat it would work just as good, in theory your car should have more rear bite due to the low roll center.

I give the same advice to everyone, it's up to you if you want to listen or not. There is a reason why I can get my Rat and L4 to turn 35 laps at our track....it's called driving experience and setup knowledge. You've gotten a lot better over this past year, but you still need to get 2.5 more laps. It takes time, setup skills, and patience. I drove Picco's car and could only get 33 laps with it....with that said if your car is not setup properly it will be impossible to keep up with the fast guys.

Too bad there is no racing this weekend

Damn, I thought you were faster than that with my car . I guess that spur gear issue didn't slow you down

Carlos, P2 is the fastest 12th scale person out there, he knows is stuff. For crying out loud he's older than both of us put together .

Seriously, P2 knows what the changes on almost any car will do. He won't give you bad advise. He has no reason too.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 PM   #987
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by picco007
Damn, I thought you were faster than that with my car . I guess that spur gear issue didn't slow you down

Carlos, P2 is the fastest 12th scale person out there, he knows is stuff. For crying out loud he's older than both of us put together .

Seriously, P2 knows what the changes on almost any car will do. He won't give you bad advise. He has no reason too.

Yeah, but your now up there with him since you both got the 35 laps. Just as I was getting closer you both get one more on me. I am just looking to better the car with other setups, that is all. As P2 said is about setup experience, driving skill, and patience. Well, how am I going to get setup experience if I don't experiment for myself. It is like trying to getting a job but you get one cause you the employer is looking for experience and you don't have any. I appreciate the help and advise like I said in the past, but I want to see what the car can do with certain setups.And also you both have different driving skills than i do, so your setups may not work, like Toasties' setup for the old FOC Evo2 Xray.It did not work for me at all. I had to go back to my own setup. Well, I will work on my car setup and driving skill hopefully my patience can hold out.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:42 PM   #988
Tech Master

Default IB3800 Cells Back In Stock!

IB3800 1.20+, 460+ cells are back in stock! Take advantage of our free assembly special. All cells ordered before 5:00 PM EST Saturday, November 19th will ship on Monday, November 21st. Orders placed after will ship upon our return from Cleveland and in the order they were received.
(978) 416-2572
Old 11-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #989
Tech Master

so when is the site going to show that their in stock to start the order process?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:03 AM   #990
Tech Master

Never mind. I had to refresh the screen. I placed my order already. Looking forward to some new cells.