R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 01-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #106
Tech Regular

CONGRATS ON THE great finish !!!!!!
pony klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay guys, here's my long-winded, and probably boring account of my history with Power Push and Tony, and why I won't run anybody else's stuff under racing conditions.

It all started running 12th scale at the Region 5 Onroad Champs back in like 89 or 90. I had run all weekend and made the B but had dumped or been on the verge of dumping all weekend long. I just couldn't get what I wanted from the cells I was using. Before the B a buddy loaned me a Power Push pack to try. I proceeded to go out and win the B by a lap and ran the fastest time I had run all weekend by about a lap and a half. I was pretty much sold.

Through the years I've run other matchers' cells, even ran for a few matchers, but never had the consistent results that I got with Tony's packs. With the advent of Nimh's I went back to Power Push and BANG, the performance was back. Every time I went on track the packs performed. It's awesome to know that when you go out for a run you don't have to worry about your cells. Just let's you focus more on the rest of the package.

Tony also delivers the best customer service in the industry, you can approach Tony at any time and ask him ANYTHING, (as long as Vicky's not on the track LOL!!), and he'll give you the straight scoop. Motor combos, batteries, charging and storage techniques, he gives you exactly the same answers as he gives the team drivers. He has taken care of my father and me for YEARS. If we ever have a problem, Tony makes it right, no questions asked.

Tony's primary concern is YOU, the customer/racer and he wants all of us to be pleased and do well. He understands that it's one thing when the TEAM does well, but it's a whole different Animal when the customers win with his gear.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #108
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Tony Carrubba

Quote:
Originally posted by sg1
I never dead short my packs... I'm sure Tony will have some input on this topic....
Wayne
Wayne dead shorting packs in my opinion lowers the run time , Because of that Avg. volt raises . The lower volt readings or numbers are not there in the calculation for the Avg. If I stop the volt reading at 300 sec the average volt is going to be higher. But is it faster on the track???? It is without a doubt faster on the machine with higher avenge volt reading For 8 min racing I preferred not to dead short at all.
http://teampowerpush.com/won.htmlEvery one of these races are won with out dead shorting .

Last edited by Tony Carrubba; 01-11-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Tony Carrubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #109
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to L3Jay
Default power push batts. are the way to go

I've been racing my rc10l3 for about 2 years and I've had many other brand of batteries and at this local track where I race I've always had to try and play catch up with everybody. I've qualified for C mains and B mains but that wasn't enough. I knew there had to be a secret at what makes these cars go so quick. I mean yeah, it could be the driver or the way the car is set up, but I was talking to some people I know and someone told me about these batteries named power push. I bought a set and figured I'd try them out, hey, what do I have to lose, so when i got them they were all set to go all soldered, but of course I had to charge them, since they wouldn't hold on for a long time as you all know. I put them in car and ran it for the first time and they were incredible. The power that is in these batteries is mindblowing. I was winning all kinds of races, qualifying for A main and winning. Now everyone at my local track is trying to play catch up with me. Tony at power push knows his stuff extremly well! I managed to get a couple of 4 cell packs that were 1.81s that were truely matched. Now I know why Tony calls it Dark Horse Racing because that's what I am A DARK HORSE RACER!
If you have a chance check out his website at teampowerpush.com
L3Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:47 PM   #110
Tech Regular

here is a great tip for all you guys now listen very carefully. Make sure before you start working on something else in your house that you connect the polarity up correctley on your race packs because when you have a peak lock on they dont like it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #111
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
congratulations to jim herrmann from the gate, the only power push driver at the novak race (to my knowledge). he was good enough to qualify for the b-main in the biggest class of the weekend, stock foam.

nice work jim.
Jimmy is a very hard worker and very dedicated in winning
good job Jimmy
Tony
Old 01-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #112
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tony,

Thanks for going back through my cells, so I can match my packs to the Track conditions, Awesome Rip this weekend, Had the Fastest car on the Track, Ran a Pack of 380s that had 30 sec left in 19t , and the track is 90x48 The matching process is the Best, come on guys were Talking 380s Thanks again....
One other thing to say, Your new Tbars are great, I finally snapped one after a hard hit to a high speed corner , and I changed it out 10 minutes before the A main, DID NOT HAVE TO MESS WITH THOSE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE PIVOT BALLS, Tonys new Tbars are perfectly squared up so there is NO binding on the Plastic, all I did was tighten them down all the way and they were smoothe as Butter, the old Tbars you had to really work to make that Pivot ball smoothe , Keep up the Great Work, and constantly coming up with new Products!!! I Know I will never have to look for another Battery company, Not when I'm part of the Power Push Family, Thanks Tony
Awesome

Roger T
rogtsaamokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #113
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance72RC

Hey Tony,
I'm gonna try to give you a call tomorrow before i go to work and put in my order for some batteries. If i can't get in before then i'll get back with you before the end of the week hopefully.
Lance
Lance72RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #114
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by rogtsaamokin
Tony,

Thanks for going back through my cells, so I can match my packs to the Track conditions, Awesome Rip this weekend, Had the Fastest car on the Track, Ran a Pack of 380s that had 30 sec left in 19t , and the track is 90x48 The matching process is the Best, come on guys were Talking 380s Thanks again....
One other thing to say, Your new Tbars are great, I finally snapped one after a hard hit to a high speed corner , and I changed it out 10 minutes before the A main, DID NOT HAVE TO MESS WITH THOSE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE PIVOT BALLS, Tonys new Tbars are perfectly squared up so there is NO binding on the Plastic, all I did was tighten them down all the way and they were smoothe as Butter, the old Tbars you had to really work to make that Pivot ball smoothe , Keep up the Great Work, and constantly coming up with new Products!!! I Know I will never have to look for another Battery company, Not when I'm part of the Power Push Family, Thanks Tony
Awesome

Roger T

ROGER GOOD JOB
2 things how was the IR compared to the track or i should say run on the track lower vs higher IR?

2nd thing is do you dead short your packs ?
I know what i told you but do you or don't you dead short ..

Tony
Old 01-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #115
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tony, I kept going with the lower IR #s, I was having plenty of runtime left so I just kept grabbing the lower IR s all the way to the main, went with the one that was 1.45 ? I think that was the #, you could not believe the rip off the corners, you could just see it leap off the corners and then you would hit the long straight and it would just keep pulling. I could actually feel the diff. between the higher IR s and the lower ones!! Amazing

Dead shorting????
Thats a NO NO Dont want to do that , I put them away like you say and get them ready for the race day , like you had told me too, they continue to give me the same results!!

Roger T
rogtsaamokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #116
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Carrubba
ROGER GOOD JOB
2 things how was the IR compared to the track or i should say run on the track lower vs higher IR?

2nd thing is do you dead short your packs ?
I know what i told you but do you or don't you dead short ..

Tony
Tony......did you get the PM I sent to you?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #117
Tech Rookie

Default Power Push

I race strictly oval, and am always looking for ways to get more voltage out of my packs. How do you do that, lower the IR and raise the available voltage. In an attempt to reach this goal I have been dead-shorting my packs.

What I have seen is :

I take a look at voltage every 10 seconds, I have seen a slight gain in voltage between 0 and 300 seconds (which is where I need it)

I have seen a significant drop in my actual IR.

I have seen my runtime drop from 25-40 seconds at 35 amps

This data is an average over 20 packs.

So if you need runtime, don't dead-short.

If you can afford to lose some runtime and need a little more punch out of the corner, deadshort.

Once you start, you can't go back, it will raise the IR dramatically.

I have been running for Tony for the past couple years. And his packs are very impressive. Tony knows whats fast "on the track", what else do you need.

So stop bench racing, and reading those damn cell labels. Put some Power Push cells in your car son, then you will realize what everyone on this thread is talking about.

Cheers,

Jeff R.

Last edited by jarhead; 01-11-2005 at 11:06 PM.
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:16 AM   #118
Suspended

Good to see so many veteran (I like that term instead of 'old-timer') racers posting here. 9 months ago, I got back into racing after a 6 year layoff (moving north from Florida to get my career going).

After being in the business for 10+ years with my father (and knowing what goes on behind the scenes), there's very few matchers that I will trust. Tony is one of them. I was very happy to see that Power Push was still in the business.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, before the invention of the TurboMatcher (which allowed pretty much anybody to get into the 'battery business'), there were just a few of us smaller matchers trying to go head-to-head with the big boys. Our company (Team Smooth) would exchange ideas and discoveries with the other small matchers. This might sound a little strange, sharing ideas with your competitors, but we didn't feel companies like Power Push were our competition. It was the large, mass-battery-producing companies that were charging outrageous prices and supplying very little.

Our policy was, find a brand that works for you, and stick with them. Just race the packs, whether it was ours or someone else's.

I'm very happy to say that Power Push is the battery company that will be getting my business.

Mike McBride
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #119
Tech Regular

hi mike ya i rember your dads stuff always felt like going to a war at whipporwill the voodoo guys vs the team smooth guys glad to here your back in also i live in northeast pa we should get together some time ! I THINK SLIM IS GOING TO HAVE A STROKE IF DOBO OR HECKLER COME BACK! WE ARE NOT THE A TEAM WE ARE THE OLDAGE TEAM! HAHAHA!
Old 01-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #120
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by pony klr
WE ARE NOT THE A TEAM WE ARE THE OLDAGE TEAM! HAHAHA!
Speak for yourself! I'm just 32 and still wheeling the car pretty good over here.

If you're looking for a place to race, check out The Raceway in Beaver, PA. I know it's a haul coming cross-state, though.

I should also be heading to the off-road, paved on-road, and carpet on-road regionals as long as they don't conflict with the Steelers schedule next year (I have season tickets!) Maybe I'll see you at one of those races too.

Last edited by McSmooth; 01-25-2006 at 12:57 PM.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote