R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 AM   #4111
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to coons88

Ok I need some help, I'm really lost on this one...
I bought a Tosolini CP a few months ago now which I got you to wind for me in a 12x1, and it totally kicks ass. But this weekend it let me down unfortunitly at a reasonibly big meeting.
During practise on Friday it was going strong, but about 4min into the run it seemed to die very quickly, I hadn't been timming, so I assumed it was just a sudden battery dump. So anyway, went out for another run abit later and it was still very slow, and needed to be push started. I was trying to get the very last out of my brushes in practise, so I thought they would have just gotten too small which would be why it wasn't going properly. So I put in some new brushes, skimmed the comm, put it back together and chucked it on the dyno, it was going great, so put it back in the car, and what do you know, same thing, slow, and needed to be push started, but what was weird was that when I picked the car up and moved the tyres to get it going, it would rev at full power, but once back on the ground it was walking pace. So at this time I was very confussed. So I took it out and put it back on the dyno, and it was now doing the same thing on the dyno too. So I spent all afternoon playing with it to try and get it going while in the mean time I used my OJ in my car which went good.
Finally I seemed to get the CP working properly on the dyno, so I quickly soldered it into my car before one of the finals, get to the grid, and now it just doesnt go at all. So I got a DNS, and I since have not got the motor to turn at all, either in the car or on the dyno, it's completly dead.

I am totally lost as to what it could be. Brand new brushes with a newly cut comm at .280". Has been properly run in. All bearings are free, nothing lodged in the can. Any ideas?

Also, my OJ is coming up for a new arm, are you guys able to wind something similar to what it comes with?

Cheers
Old 11-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #4112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Coons,

They can wind whatever you need for your OJ motor. As far as the checkpoint look in the brush tubes as well and get them cleaned out. It could maybe be something in there blocking good contact and that when the load is taken off the motor can go faster then increase the load and it slows down.

One thing you can do is put a different arm in the CP can to see if something happened to the normal arm. Just make sure whatever you put in there that nothing is going to rub on anything.

The real Br00d guys will post something soon. I know Wes is out of town at a race, not sure about Garrett. Good luck.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #4113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I have had this very same problem happen to me with a trinity Chamelion 19t motor. I found out that by using a mutimeter to check continuity on the armature from pole to pole that one of them was not soldered right to get it up to par. Just check the armature by checking continuity from contact point to contact point on were the brushes touch. If you don't get a reading that is similar from the others then you can gather that a winding has damage or something went wrong internally.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #4114

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
When did you get there? Dont remember seeing you show up..
Sorry, I was back in the corner building the a-main motors.. I had to leave early each night though...so I couldn't hang and party, got in an car accident and my neck and shoulder are well but get tired real eazy...once 5-6 o'clock roll around it's time to lay down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by coons88
I am totally lost as to what it could be. Brand new brushes with a newly cut comm at .280". Has been properly run in. All bearings are free, nothing lodged in the can. Any ideas?

Also, my OJ is coming up for a new arm, are you guys able to wind something similar to what it comes with?
This almost falls into the "we have to see it to tell" category. Chances are there is something minor wrong, like a hung brush or bad contact in the brush tubes...make sure the motor is 100% clean, you don't have the springs on backward, and try some fresh springs as well. When you say you run it up on a dyno, do you mean your running it on a dyno with a slave motor or flywheel? Or do you mean your just spinning it up on something like a motormaster that puts no load on the motor?

Also diagnose your electronics .... does another motor work fine with your ESC?

If all else fails you can send the motor or the arm back to us and we'll diagnose and replace if necessary.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #4115
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks

[Desolas]Sorry, I was back in the corner building the a-main motors..

Wes thanks for your help this weekend the Micro Peeler kept getting stronger as the weekend went on.

-Brostrom

Last edited by C_Bro; 11-12-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: ..
C_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #4116
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the ponies Wes, I had the only brushed motor, Br00d Money 19t to make the A in 19t/BL rubber (qual 5th) at TimeZoneII, in a field filled with 10.5 BL systems.

Fred
Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #4117
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
Sorry, I was back in the corner building the a-main motors.. I had to leave early each night though...so I couldn't hang and party, got in an car accident and my neck and shoulder are well but get tired real eazy...once 5-6 o'clock roll around it's time to lay down..

This almost falls into the "we have to see it to tell" category. Chances are there is something minor wrong, like a hung brush or bad contact in the brush tubes...make sure the motor is 100% clean, you don't have the springs on backward, and try some fresh springs as well. When you say you run it up on a dyno, do you mean your running it on a dyno with a slave motor or flywheel? Or do you mean your just spinning it up on something like a motormaster that puts no load on the motor?

Also diagnose your electronics .... does another motor work fine with your ESC?

If all else fails you can send the motor or the arm back to us and we'll diagnose and replace if necessary.

Its all good, next time then.. I was busy doing motors most of the weekend and trying to figure out this Sedan thing, next time.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #4118
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to FITO

team brood do you guys still carry vxr racing products
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #4119
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Mad Rip

Desolas, thanks for Team Br00d CO27 Pro stock motor. With it I was able to qualify and first 3rd in stock foam at this weekends NWIC Series race #2.

-Adam
azero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #4120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITO View Post
team brood do you guys still carry vxr racing products
we have most stuff in stock, what are you looking for?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #4121

Everything on the web site is in stock ... we are running low on some VXR, but have most of the Rx packs still and a few Tx packs..

Wes
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #4122
Tech Regular

Cheers guys. When I get some time I will have another really good look at it, trouble shooting everything. But at this stage I think I can rule out it being just a hung brush/something stuck in the brush tubes or my electrics (though my Spektrum RX did pack up the same day) but it doesn't run on the dyno either, and I ran another motor the rest of the day so I think that would also rule out any electrics. And yea when I say dyno it's just a Yokomo MMS, easier to type dyno though haha.

CarlosG: Can you explain more about how you check this? I don't fully understand from your explanation.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:46 AM   #4123
Tech Regular

Ok well I've concluded that the armature is dead. But why? I have no idea...
I put a brand new armature into the CP can and endbell and it worked a treat. I put the CP armature into another pretty much brand new can and endbell and totally dead.
So where to go from here? It's still far from being a throw away (comm diameter wise) at .281". So are there any tests I can do on it? Or anything I can look for as to why it could be dead? Or send it back to you guys to be analyzed?

Sam
Old 11-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #4124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

best thing to do would be to email [email protected] and give him the order number from the order where the arm was purchased and then we will make up another and send it out to you. unfortunetly some things go wrong but we typically will make up for it and send ya out a new one.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #4125

Yeah, we stand behind our stuff...just let me know who you are and what your order is, I would like you to send the old arm back so we can figure out what may have failed for product development. I would not bother wasting anymore of your own time and send to us and let us deal with it for you.

[email protected]

If you'd like to mail it back, send it to...

Team Brood Racing
PO BOX 363
Silvana WA 98287

Thanks,
Wes