Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
Trinity and ReVtech Motors discussion >

Trinity and ReVtech Motors discussion

Like Tree194Likes

Trinity and ReVtech Motors discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As a matter of principle it is actually the way companies decide to handle problems time and time again that counts...I hope this situation encourages other companies to do the right thing in the future, and not handle their situation negatively....Cheers....
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 311 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
As a matter of principle it is actually the way companies decide to handle problems time and time again that counts...I hope this situation encourages other companies to do the right thing in the future, and not handle their situation negatively....Cheers....
Fast motors sell, the average racer in a spec class wants the fastest motor because he/she thinks it'll make them win. They're not concerned with things like business ethics, conflict resolution etc as much as they may say they are. Dropping $100-$150 on the latest and greatest fast spec motor makes them feel good, that they have the fastest car, Trinity knows this, caters to this, these illegalities with motor wire are very quickly forgotten when the next fast motor comes out and "Team drive Joe Bloggs" wins the next Snowgirl inaugural race meet thing, thus generating sales.

It's a proven business model, but that's of our own doing as well. As a racing community we've become a bunch of keyboard commandos who want to go fast but don't have the balls to run modified, so now 13.5 and 21.5 (or 17.5) are the classes most people run.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Fast motors sell, the average racer in a spec class wants the fastest motor because he/she thinks it'll make them win. They're not concerned with things like business ethics, conflict resolution etc as much as they may say they are. Dropping $100-$150 on the latest and greatest fast spec motor makes them feel good, that they have the fastest car, Trinity knows this, caters to this, these illegalities with motor wire are very quickly forgotten when the next fast motor comes out and "Team drive Joe Bloggs" wins the next Snowgirl inaugural race meet thing, thus generating sales.

It's a proven business model, but that's of our own doing as well. As a racing community we've become a bunch of keyboard commandos who want to go fast but don't have the balls to run modified, so now 13.5 and 21.5 (or 17.5) are the classes most people run.
sad but true.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

the more i think about it, the more i feel that ROAR does have to take some ownership of this situation. it's a communication thing. if motors fail tech at a ROAR sanctioned event (not a "big" club race that goes by ROAR rules), it should be published on their website. it shouldn't be that my buddy heard from someone that their buddy's friend's kid 5 states away, that 4 brand X motors failed tech at ROAR region 69 off road championships. i'm pretty much talking about stator numbers. motor companies shouldn't be on the hook for some chode who throws a mod rotor in their motor. that should trigger ROAR into buying a few motors and re-testing to make sure the motors are in compliance. as a customer, if i saw on ROAR's website that 5 of brand X's motors failed tech at a big race, i'm probably not going to buy one because they might soon be banned. full disclosure. full transparency.

the problem is that ROAR gets the majority of it's money from the companies they're testing compliance for (i'm assuming). our piddly yearly dues and what they collect from sanctioned races, i'm sure pales in comparison to the fees they rack in from companies for the approval process of various electronics. that's just a recipe for disaster.
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
our piddly yearly dues and what they collect from sanctioned races, i'm sure pales in comparison to the fees they rack in from companies for the approval process of various electronics. that's just a recipe for disaster.
ROAR does not charge for approvals. The only requirement is that the manufacturer be a ROAR member. The testing fees are paid directly to the independent testing labs.
sps3172 likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
ROAR does not charge for approvals. The only requirement is that the manufacturer be a ROAR member. The testing fees are paid directly to the independent testing labs.
Thanks for passing that along Howard.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why are the penalties so lenient? There should be harsh punishment for noncompliance. I’m sure they would concentrate on QA if all their spec motors were banned for 3 years.

With in a year if 20 total motors fail tech then all of said companies spec motors are removed from the approved list for 3 years.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 203 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
Why are the penalties so lenient? There should be harsh punishment for noncompliance. Iím sure they would concentrate on QA if all their spec motors were banned for 3 years.

With in a year if 20 total motors fail tech then all of said companies spec motors are removed from the approved list for 3 years.
post that on the fantom thread also ,
Old 02-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

I don't even know how I feel about all this. I have a monster max.. I paid good money for it (Canadian exchange rate adds another 35-40% to the cost plus crazy shipping / customs). If Trinity offered a stator replacement to do right by their customers many wouldn't be in such a uproar but no.. Send your motor back that you paid good money for so we can give you a small credit towards a new motor from us.. the company that gave you the pickle
Old 02-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
Who funds and control the independent test labs???
Old 02-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

truth, as for me I have raced Trinity since 1:12 6-Cell asphalt! Yet the way I have been neglected by their support since racing 1:8 on road has pretty much left me switching brands....

to each their own I suppose, but none of my dime will go towrds Ernie buying Cigars!!!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:09 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Who funds and control the independent test labs???
The labs are fully funded by the manufactures fees for testing. ROAR pays the labs zero. The labs are controlled by themselves and submit reports to ROAR. ROAR EXCOM goes over those reports and determines if everything is in order and meets the guide lines in the rules and votes to approve said items. Then they are listed as ROAR approved.

EA
Old 02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the explanation EA.... Hopefully Roar has plans to deter those companies constantly embroiled in cheating scandals: three strikes rule or something....
casrcr likes this.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

The loudest whiners on here are also the first to complain at the track about motors because it couldn’t possibly be their crap driving. I mean a 17.5 trinity monster even if it was “roar” illegal (said sarcastically), would still not make up for your crap driving. If you guys hate the product vote with your feet and just go away. Your opinion is better stated by your absence.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:41 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

looking to help out a buddy of mine.

For the trinity monster max motors about how much back and forth play do you see when pulling / pushing the rotor shaft?

Also, should there be any play/movement on the sensor board is normal, if any?

As for the discussion on what happened with the motor being removed from the approval listing, personally I wonder if it would be possible / better to just have an actual ROAR spec motor that the manufacturers all get from the same place and same manufactured specs as dictated by ROAR, and can only slap their sticker on, nothing else.

Support of a certain manufacturer would then come down to other things like how well they support you after purchase since the motors are all the same.

For those concerned about motor of the month issues, maybe that would take care of that too since the motor spec is only 1 motor type, and it never changes unless ROAR officially makes the change since they control the motor completely.

Maybe its a non-starter, etc. Just curious how well that could work out like how USVTA was novak only motors for that particular class, and if you wanted to run something more open, have say open 17.5 or just full mod, etc.

Last edited by Cain; 02-26-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service