R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First off, thanks Chicky! I balanced the pod and main chassis independently, reset my football, repositioned the battery inward and was able to drop 12g in the process. We'll see how she works tomorrow. Still trying to get the hang of 12th scale.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #272
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Cool!

A few things you can do. If you turn your speedo 180 degrees and have the solder posts to the outside you might be able to get rid of all the weight. That side of the speedo is heavier. Also I'd run your wires above the top plate. The way you have it is going to cause tweak issues unless you use 16ga wire. Since we are running so soft of springs the wiring of the car is a lot more critical than it used to be. One way to check it is to tweak the car on a tweak station, then unhook the wires from the motor so they don't touch anything and see if the tweak changes.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #273
Tech Master

Great advise. I'll check the tweak and look into rotating the speedo. I fear, however, that I may have already trimmed the speedo's receiver wire to fit. I suppose throwing on a new longer wire wouldn't be the end of the world though and it may have long term benefits via the potential weight reduction. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #274
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Getting into 1/12th scale at a local track

Looking for a bit of advice here.

I currently have a S100 and want to convert it to an S120L using an Onpoint chassis to run at the local track where they are running 1/12th 17.5 blinky. I know its not mod or 13.5 but it will be fun. That is the point of what we all do is to have some fun.

This already has the Aluminum motor mount and the other aluminum piece from Onpoint in the motor pod.

Will I need a different X-brace also?

Does the conversion kit come with all of the carbon pieces I will need to do this? I already have a ton of spare Serpent parts so I wanted to stick with the Serpent front end, etc.

I presume I will need to buy the 1/12th scale damper tubes or can the ones from the WGT be used.

Will I have to buy different rear hubs and axle?

Always had a great time running the WGT and looking forward to the 1/12th scale.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian B.
Aquaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #275
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaracer View Post
Looking for a bit of advice here.

I currently have a S100 and want to convert it to an S120L using an Onpoint chassis to run at the local track where they are running 1/12th 17.5 blinky. I know its not mod or 13.5 but it will be fun. That is the point of what we all do is to have some fun.

This already has the Aluminum motor mount and the other aluminum piece from Onpoint in the motor pod.

Will I need a different X-brace also?

Does the conversion kit come with all of the carbon pieces I will need to do this? I already have a ton of spare Serpent parts so I wanted to stick with the Serpent front end, etc.

I presume I will need to buy the 1/12th scale damper tubes or can the ones from the WGT be used.

Will I have to buy different rear hubs and axle?

Always had a great time running the WGT and looking forward to the 1/12th scale.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian B.
Hi Brian,

You'll need and AE football, 12th rear axle, body posts, the damper tubes you have will work and the kit comes with all the graphite you need. Make sure you use the trailing steering blocks and short king pins for the 12th.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #276
Tech Initiate

Paul,
Thanks for the info on the conversion.

Why the AE football?? Are the holes on the chassis made for this?? Just curious as to why? Or is it of a better design?

Do I need the 1/12scale rear hubs as the S100 are bigger and are made with 4 holes not 3 ??

Looking forward to getting this together. It will be a fun ride.

If I have any other questions I will be sure to ask on here.

Thank you,
Brian B.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #277
Tech Regular

Quote:
Paul,
Thanks for the info on the conversion.

Why the AE football?? Are the holes on the chassis made for this?? Just curious as to why? Or is it of a better design?

Do I need the 1/12scale rear hubs as the S100 are bigger and are made with 4 holes not 3 ??

Looking forward to getting this together. It will be a fun ride.

If I have any other questions I will be sure to ask on here.

Thank you,
Brian B.
The chassis are made for the AE football, serpent has different hole spacing. Yes you will need 1/12 hubs, I would recommend the IRS ones...

Steve Dunn
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #278
Tech Initiate

Steve,
Thanks for the quick reply and explanation about the football.

Question for you: would the IRS pt #2132 work for the car? It would have everything that I would need. Just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Brian B.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #279
Tech Regular

Quote:
Steve,
Thanks for the quick reply and explanation about the football.

Question for you: would the IRS pt #2132 work for the car? It would have everything that I would need. Just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Brian B.
I would get IRS2136BK http://teamirsrc.com/index.php?main_...ort=20a&page=2

The reason is that this will work with any 1/12 wheel. The others may not allow you to space the axle out properly (172mm) and get the hubs centered.

If you have any questions or need help you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Steve
sdunnmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #280
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

IRS Diffs are the stuff of dreams, and at a really decent price to boot

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #281
Tech Adept

Like to say thanks to Paul and the rest of the guys at On point, for putting out a great product, I ran the car for the first time today, and have to say the car was awesome, car got faster each qualifier, and qualified 3rd behind behind two sponsored drivers, mains didn't go quite as well through no fault of the car or driver(stupid back markers) but still finished a respectable 5th out of 11 after a long hiatus from 12th scale.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #282
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
Like to say thanks to Paul and the rest of the guys at On point, for putting out a great product, I ran the car for the first time today, and have to say the car was awesome, car got faster each qualifier, and qualified 3rd behind behind two sponsored drivers, mains didn't go quite as well through no fault of the car or driver(stupid back markers) but still finished a respectable 5th out of 11 after a long hiatus from 12th scale.
Awesome, glad you like it! Nice job!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #283
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Looking forward to giving my On Point a run this weekend at The Gate!
www.norcarracing.com

Last edited by kingbee9; 11-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.
kingbee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #284
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee9 View Post
Looking forward to giving my On Point a run this weekend at The Gate!
Sweet! I'm sure you'll like it!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #285
Tech Master

What happens if you reduce the reactive caster. I've been running 10' for a while, but several guys at our track are switching to 5'. We run at Competition Hobbies in Tucson, and share an indoor space with an off road track. The track is generally low to medium grip and a little dusty, especially off line. Many of them are also reducing the static caster which runs counter to my experience in low grip situations. Any thoughts?