R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #196
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
What servo and mounts do you use on the Serpent conversion? I'm trying to put a JR 3650 in mine, but the only holes that seem to center it even close are the rearmost ones. But none of the various mounting posts I have put it far enough forward to clear the post for the upper deck. I've built a lot of 1/12TH cars and certainly I can make this work, I'm just curious what your thinking was when you placed the holes.
The r5 mounts work best. The servos hole are wide enough that you can move it around left or right to get it centered.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #197
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Paul,
A couple of guys at my local track are getting the on-point cars. They are using the R5 stuff on them. If I am understanding what you all are doing correctly, you are building conversions for the serpent and R5? If I am correct in my assumptions which is the better base car? Serpent or R5? They really seem to like the cars and say they are easy to drive. I am in a R5 now and looking to do something in the future.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #198
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
Paul,
A couple of guys at my local track are getting the on-point cars. They are using the R5 stuff on them. If I am understanding what you all are doing correctly, you are building conversions for the serpent and R5? If I am correct in my assumptions which is the better base car? Serpent or R5? They really seem to like the cars and say they are easy to drive. I am in a R5 now and looking to do something in the future.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Yes we have a conversion for both. Since you already have an R5 that would be the cheapest route but you would be happy either way.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #199
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

So I have a small complant, not trying to be snarky but why did you put out an S120L conversion kit and not include the parts needed to complete the conversion. Whenever I've bought conversion kits before everything was included. In this case I received the kit but there are no dampner tubes; I knew this in advance so I did order these; but the kit does'nt include the rear standoffs which are required to complete the change. If the kit is'nt going to be a complete conversion you should really list in the OP105 kit description on your website all the extra componets that will be needed to do the conversion. I now have to order the standoffs and pay extra shipping to do this. Are the standoffs suposed to be in the kit and just missing from mine?

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #200
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
So I have a small complant, not trying to be snarky but why did you put out an S120L conversion kit and not include the parts needed to complete the conversion. Whenever I've bought conversion kits before everything was included. In this case I received the kit but there are no dampner tubes; I knew this in advance so I did order these; but the kit does'nt include the rear standoffs which are required to complete the change. If the kit is'nt going to be a complete conversion you should really list in the OP105 kit description on your website all the extra componets that will be needed to do the conversion. I now have to order the standoffs and pay extra shipping to do this. Are the standoffs suposed to be in the kit and just missing from mine?
Sorry for the trouble Chris, I sent you am email.

I will have the dealers and website updated to reflect this so people know.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #201
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Thanks for the quick response and fix for the issue Paul.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #202
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Paul,

Give me a shout tomorrow. Got a couple questions on an R5 conversion for a local.
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #203
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Frahm

I have a complete 12R5.1 and I'd like to convert it to an On Point chassis. I noticed Stormer's web site has a long list of hardware needed. If I already have a complete chassis, can I assume most of that hardware will come from the donor car? So, 12R5.1 + OP300 = complete RTR car????

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #204
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
I have a complete 12R5.1 and I'd like to convert it to an On Point chassis. I noticed Stormer's web site has a long list of hardware needed. If I already have a complete chassis, can I assume most of that hardware will come from the donor car? So, 12R5.1 + OP300 = complete RTR car????

Thanks, Jim
Hi Jim,

Since you have the r5 already you only need a longer ball cup for the shock, some 3x5 screws for the pod, 3mm nuts and a 1mm shim for the shock to mount to the shock tower since our shock mount is wider. I don't know the exact count on nuts and screws.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post

Thanks, Jim
Once again Jim, you made a wise choice. I have the Serpent version of the On Point cars, but both look and work great. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #206
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Hi Jim,

Since you have the r5 already you only need a longer ball cup for the shock, some 3x5 screws for the pod, 3mm nuts and a 1mm shim for the shock to mount to the shock tower since our shock mount is wider. I don't know the exact count on nuts and screws.
Chicky,

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I'll have everything I need with all the hardware I have on hand.

Jim
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #207
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Once again Jim, you made a wise choice. I have the Serpent version of the On Point cars, but both look and work great. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Steve
Hello Steve,

I almost purchased the Serpent S120 but when I saw this chassis and the fact that I already own a R5 this seemed to be the logical choice. I hope to make it to Hanger 30 sometime this year.

Thanks again for the offer.

Jim
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #208
Tech Master

Default Parts List

Here is an updated parts list for those starting from scratch and if you have an R5 already.

Qty Part Number Component Description
1 IRS2132BK Complete 12th rear axle and diff with BB's, Spur Gear etc.
1 12th center shock, AE, Hotbodies, IRS, CRC, Silva
1 Associated Gold and Blue Shock Spring
1 ASC6274 Associated Ball cups, for damper tubes, steering and shock
1 IRS1167 or CLN3381 IRS or CRC Ride height adjusters
1 ASC4635 Associated side links and football
1 ASC4637 Associated link pivot balls (5)
1 SER411070 Serpent S120 Rear Body Mounts (2)
1 SER411040 Serpent S120 Body Mount Adjusting Nuts (4)
1 SER411092 Serpent S120 Front Body Mounts (2)
1 ASC4686 Associated R5 front end
9pcs ASC31280 Short ball stud for bottom center shock mount, damper tubes and servo saver\
1 ?????? Turnbuckles for steering and rod ends
1 KIM210 Kimbrough Medium servo saver
1 OP307 Spring cups and set screws
1 ASC4641 Associated Black Side Springs
1 ASC4653 12R5 Foam Bumper
1 SER411007 Roll Over Antenna

Qty Part Number Hardware
10 ASC21550 3mm low profile nuts
2 M3 3x8 button head screws for rear body mount
27 M3 flat head screws 3x5 (Links, Battery Location, Standoffs, pod plates)
4 M3 3x10 flat head screws for football and front body mounts
4 M3 3x6 flat head screws for front end bulkheads
4 M3 3x14 flat head screws to attach a-arm to suspension mounts
2 M2.5 x 6mm Button Head Screws for football

Parts list if you have R5

24 M3 flat head screws 3x5 (Battery Location, Standoffs. Pod plates)
4 M3 3x14 flat head screws to attach a-arm to suspension mounts
1 Long ball end for center shock RPM or hot bodies shock end works well
1 1mm thick x 6mm OD, 3mm shim for front of shock to mount to shock tower
7 3mm low profile nuts
Old 01-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #209
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Here is an updated parts list for those starting from scratch and if you have an R5 already....
Thanks Paul
Added a link to this for future reference on the 12th scale thread.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #210
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Thanks Paul
Added a link to this for future reference on the 12th scale thread.
Awesome, Thanks!!