R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 01-29-2007, 02:49 AM   #1786
Tech Adept

John, its all well and good saying to me to purchase your packs and give them a try. I wouldn't even know if these packs are any good, as there are no numbers printed. So if i bought these packs and they are junk then what?. i return them, but i would still be out of pocket on them.

Also RCSteve, how can you say they have the best voltage on the market ?.. where is facts or proof to this?. have you ran tests on 1.24 cells @ 35 amps, and then run back to back tests on the fusion LA packs ?..
I highly doubt these LA packs push out anymore than smc 1.24 cells @ 35 amps.
i can even get zeppin racing cells [email protected] amps for the same price as a fusion LA pack. Money would be more worth spent on packs that show numbers, than on "suck thumb" packs.
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #1787
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

I run the Fusion packs and they are the best packs I have run. Punch is great!
1 Corinthians 10:31 ...whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.
S&N Trackside Hobbies
Innovative Hobbies and Raceway
Clark RC race park
rcracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #1788
Tech Regular

I agree, the packs I have just kept getting better, in fact (thinking to himself) I need to get back out there racing soon.

You can't beat the performance for the price, IMO

Later
jim
Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #1789
Tech Regular

John you got pm.

Bill N.
billneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #1790
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap
John, its all well and good saying to me to purchase your packs and give them a try. I wouldn't even know if these packs are any good, as there are no numbers printed. So if i bought these packs and they are junk then what?. i return them, but i would still be out of pocket on them.

Also RCSteve, how can you say they have the best voltage on the market ?.. where is facts or proof to this?. have you ran tests on 1.24 cells @ 35 amps, and then run back to back tests on the fusion LA packs ?..
I highly doubt these LA packs push out anymore than smc 1.24 cells @ 35 amps.
i can even get zeppin racing cells [email protected] amps for the same price as a fusion LA pack. Money would be more worth spent on packs that show numbers, than on "suck thumb" packs.
No I have not tested the LA packs. I would, but I just got enough packs to last me two race seasons for Christmas. I have seen one of the LA packs being run by a racer. I was amazed to see that he was faster with them(the AMB system don't lie).
Old 02-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #1791
Tech Elite

Well, I have been experimenting with the new Fusion EP4200 batteries and have been happy with my results (3rd in the 1/12th scale A-Main ). So far here are the things that are note worthy about these batteries...
-They are durable (a tad less durable than GPs though)
-They have good numbers (About the same as the IB World Champion cells)
-They will need about 2 cycles two get them up to best capacity when they have been sitting for 2 or more weeks.
-When they are new, you will need to give them about 4 cycles to get them "warmed up" (Showing good #'s)
-When you look on the bottom of you car, you can see the Fusion Power logo and it makes the car look sweet . IMHO
Old 02-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #1792
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

This is most probably going to get me blasted by many but here goes. I have been matching the EP4200 cell longer than virtually anyone. I have direct dealings with the factory. The EP4200 cells are a good performer on the track but they have a few very nasty characteristics and they all revolve around high self discharge.

Any matcher trying to match these cells will strike the problem of a high failure rate in the cell because of the high self discharge. Turbomatchers take cells down to 0.8 volts during the cycling process even though most matchers use a 0.9 volt cutoff. This means that the matchers must stop and put a holding charge back into the cells after a cycle otherwise by the time they get back to this cell again there is a very good chance that it has discharged itself too low which means it will have lost a lot of runtime. Competition Electronics is producing a new Turbomatcher which automates the process of putting a holding charge back into the cells. This will make it easier to ensure the cells do not die.

I am not saying that this is the case but maybe Fusion is having the same problem and is not attempting to fully match the cells. First cycles will give an indication of a cells capacity and voltage. Maybe this is the reason for the LA packs.... simply put , group together cells with like voltages and runtime above a certain level.

THe EP4200 cell is good but not quite to the standard of the IB4200 cells. Many companies have tried and announced that they will be selling Eastpower cells (Orion for one) but dont seem to have progressed. The problem is the high self discharge and its associated problem of shelf life.

Even the Eastpower factory acknowledges the problem.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #1793
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Searles

So on the EP4200's it would cause cell damage if I were to tray them down to 0.8v per cell before right before a charge?? I realize when in storage you don't want them that low.......
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #1794
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Brian,

I dont believe that it would do damage if you were to charge immediately. However my outlook is not to risk this and I equalise cells at 1.0 v per cell. With the modern generation of cells there is no avantage in taking the cells down any lower
Old 02-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #1795
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon
This is most probably going to get me blasted by many but here goes. I have been matching the EP4200 cell longer than virtually anyone. I have direct dealings with the factory. The EP4200 cells are a good performer on the track but they have a few very nasty characteristics and they all revolve around high self discharge.

Any matcher trying to match these cells will strike the problem of a high failure rate in the cell because of the high self discharge. Turbomatchers take cells down to 0.8 volts during the cycling process even though most matchers use a 0.9 volt cutoff. This means that the matchers must stop and put a holding charge back into the cells after a cycle otherwise by the time they get back to this cell again there is a very good chance that it has discharged itself too low which means it will have lost a lot of runtime. Competition Electronics is producing a new Turbomatcher which automates the process of putting a holding charge back into the cells. This will make it easier to ensure the cells do not die.

I am not saying that this is the case but maybe Fusion is having the same problem and is not attempting to fully match the cells. First cycles will give an indication of a cells capacity and voltage. Maybe this is the reason for the LA packs.... simply put , group together cells with like voltages and runtime above a certain level.

THe EP4200 cell is good but not quite to the standard of the IB4200 cells. Many companies have tried and announced that they will be selling Eastpower cells (Orion for one) but dont seem to have progressed. The problem is the high self discharge and its associated problem of shelf life.

Even the Eastpower factory acknowledges the problem.
Yeah, you are really right about this. I decided to test what you said by fully charging one of my EP batteries last Sunday night. When I charged them this Saturday, I had to put about 3900mah into it.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #1796
Tech Regular

I have now run the cells for about month and half and what I have found is that they are good but they are touchy! Here is what to do to maintain your EP cells.

When you fist get them:

Put about 500 sec in to them
next tray them down to 0.9v
next charge them at 6amp to fully charge and the use them.

After you raced them:

Tray them to 0.9v or
let them rest for the second day of racing and
then tray them to 0.9v and then
charge them again at the 6amp rate.

When you are done with them try then again and then charge them before storage. Some will put in 500 sec others will do a full charge. The point is don't leave them with nothing! And...

If you need to let them set for 2 weeks after your last race I suggest traying them again and then recharging them. But be careful sometimes you will find one cell will be already below the 0.9 and one will way above. If this is the case then as before put in 500 sec only and then if your really care for you cells you will tray them and then charge them again.

Now after all of this my cells are still giving me what I expect out of them! When I charge them I have always gotten at least 4500 mah into them. But one thing I should add, since I've been running these the worst I have raced in two of our regional races has been 6th and that was not the batteries fault!

Hope this helps?
Bill N.
billneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #1797
Tech Initiate

I have been very happy with my LAP pack. As a matter of fact I would like to buy a few more. But, the fusion website has not had any racing packs for sale for about a week.

What's up with that?

Phone calls and emails have been answered but they are not forthcoming with any info.
Faster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #1798
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster1
I have been very happy with my LAP pack. As a matter of fact I would like to buy a few more. But, the fusion website has not had any racing packs for sale for about a week.

What's up with that?

Phone calls and emails have been answered but they are not forthcoming with any info.
Keep in mind that Snow bids was last week. Everyone was there! So wasn't the batteries!!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #1799
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life
Keep in mind that Snow bids was last week. Everyone was there! So wasn't the batteries!!
Nobody from Team Fusion Power was at the Snowbirds??
Old 02-14-2007, 08:28 PM   #1800
Tech Initiate

I think they are closing up!
They have absolutely nothing on the website for sale.
They have 5 items on Ebay.
And they are not responding to any of the posts on the forums.

Are there any team drivers out there that have heard anything?
Faster1 is offline   Reply With Quote