R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #2581
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I use the "lack of reputation" thing all the time...Everyone just thinks I'm just another kid at the track...Its great!!

I just go and git er dun on the track..

Great tool to use to your advantage...

Well the ole' teach is yellin at me for being on the forums...Later dudes!

TK
Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #2582
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Im looking forward to the results.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #2583
Super Moderator

TK you better get ready for CRCRC because your EXPECTED to be in the show now LOL
Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #2584
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by crimson eagle
Bob,

At least part of the reason for my research is because of my involvement with Pro Trak but I do find this stuff very interesting and I may well of done it anyway. And as you were saying on the other thread, you need to determine what value you place on customer service.

I usually get Pro match cells as I have access to them for a good price without having to be tied to them with a deal and price is a major factor for me. As I was saying to John last night the variation for the cell voltages could be for many reasons, one of those reasons could be matcher integrity, there are some less than scrupulous ones out there. I decided early on that I won't publicly trash anyone's cells as the reasons for bad results could be not the matchers problem. BUT when I get a good result accross the board I'll let it be known. The good thing about the way I do it is the numbers speak for themselves, I don't have to rely on my reputation (or lack thereof) for people to believe me. I'm hoping that what I do will be accepted as constructive for the benefit of all.

Chris
I'm glad to see an independent source testing various matchers cells. I'm sure most of this will sound kind of repetitive since you talked with Jon last night, but it's good information that others should consider when making a purchase..

I think there are a couple things to consider when determining whether a matched battery produces the numbers printed on the label. First, the ambient temperature at which the matcher grades their cells is very important. A warm cell produces a much stronger voltage curve then a cold cell. If you’re a non-believer of this, cycle a pack at 68 degrees, then a couple days later cycle the same pack at 80 degrees. Compare the numbers and you will likely see a large difference in the performance characteristics.

I don't think a lot of small matchers pay attention to this important fact. This negligence ultimately leads inconsistent numbers being printed on their cells labeling. The second deadly matching sin <grin> is not cycling the cells enough before labeling them. It takes about 3 good cycles on each cell for the numbers to stabilize to a point where they will remain consistent.

Just some thoughts.. happy cell grading.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #2585
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Hi Gary,

I do take your point of ambient temperature changing the voltage of the cell, I agree with this.... However, this should change ALL of the cells and not just one or two of them. I'm seeing a difference from highest to lowest cell voltages of sometimes almost .04v. This would make the difference between the cheapest and most expensive cells.

For people joining in at this point, I have not named the matcher, but I can say it is not Surge, I have not tested Surge cells as of yet.

Chris
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:07 AM   #2586
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

One last thing while I remember.

The purpose of the testing is not to determine which Matcher is best. My intent is to find out which charge method gives the best results as determined by discharge data. I initially started cycling twice a day but I'm going to have to go to once a day to keep the ambient temperatures as close as I can. Even so there will be differences as the weather changes. All the voltage differences I have noticed is just an interesting side issue I found.

Chris.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #2587
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to eviltone
Default Bump back

Man, Surge Thread is falling down... gotta get it back to the top. UNF!

Tag and Jon, when you gonna come visit Dirtrunners and our little track? Hopefully, we'll have our layout issues tackled by then...

-Tone
eviltone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #2588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Sent my CRCRC entry in the other day. 200 bucks hurts. I don't understand why they have sportsman and expert stock and not mod, but oh well.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:12 PM   #2589
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Phew!!! That does hurt.

Wait, they have no mod class?
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #2590
Super Moderator

Larry you need to email the director because I think you messed up your entry. They have expert, sportsman and mod. you can run two of the three (you cant run expert and sportsman) I signed up for stock and mod.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:40 AM   #2591
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 244 (99%+)

Bob,
arn't you supposed to be working?
Fred Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:57 AM   #2592
Super Moderator

I AM!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:58 AM   #2593
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 244 (99%+)

LOL.....Sorry bout your luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Fred Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:13 AM   #2594
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by L.Fairtrace
Sent my CRCRC entry in the other day. 200 bucks hurts. I don't understand why they have sportsman and expert stock and not mod, but oh well.
Daaaang, thats why I'm only running both classes in truck...No need to waste 55 bucks on buggy to end up in the Z-Main

I'll send mine in like Monday...Or even today...

Lates,

TK
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 AM   #2595
Super Moderator

hey im the only one in the Z main. gotta insure I win my trophy