Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree63Likes

Team ORCA USA Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

what size track are you running on, and is it a tight track or a nice sweeping one? i too have set the motor to the specs you mentioned before and about 50 different other combinations in between and im running like 160-165 deg, ive also messed with the rotor spacing, in the motor, what kind of car do you have, and what kind of esc are you running?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc car guy
what size track are you running on, and is it a tight track or a nice sweeping one? i too have set the motor to the specs you mentioned before and about 50 different other combinations in between and im running like 160-165 deg, ive also messed with the rotor spacing, in the motor, what kind of car do you have, and what kind of esc are you running?
I have VBC D06. Novak Edge 2S. It is just odd…. My car is not that slow.
My VTA car motor gets hot while another driver's VTA motor runs cool with similar gearing. I can't figure it out either.

This is the track and the car in the video is not with this ORCA motor.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

You don't HAVE to run your motor up to 160 degrees. If it has enough speed and isn't getting hot then thats good. I've had motors never get over 135 no matter what gearing I threw at it. I just geared it so I had the best lapped times and left it. ended up temping around 125 when all was said and done.

I currently run my 17.5 on a very similar track in size but slightly lower grip than what you guys have over on the west side. I temp about 165 after 6 minutes. I'm running 3.72 fdr as well in my T4 '14. I'm just under 2mm past the last mark.

Only way to know though is to go up a tooth and see what it feels like. It may get you more top end down the straight but kill your infield speed. Thats how it was for me when I tried.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Odin544
You don't HAVE to run your motor up to 160 degrees. If it has enough speed and isn't getting hot then thats good. I've had motors never get over 135 no matter what gearing I threw at it. I just geared it so I had the best lapped times and left it. ended up temping around 125 when all was said and done.

I currently run my 17.5 on a very similar track in size but slightly lower grip than what you guys have over on the west side. I temp about 165 after 6 minutes. I'm running 3.72 fdr as well in my T4 '14. I'm just under 2mm past the last mark.

Only way to know though is to go up a tooth and see what it feels like. It may get you more top end down the straight but kill your infield speed. Thats how it was for me when I tried.
i understand what your saying ive tried fdr between the range of 3.6-4.2 and timings from 10 deg to +2MM regardless the motor runs 160 or hotter, we have at least medium-high traction on a very small tight track, the motor isnt fast enough with the lower gearing, thats why i went up, the car gets faster with more gear to a point the motor has never but the motor seems to run with a decent fan on it at 160 the motor has never been over 167 deg ive also tried different rotor placements inside the motor, can someone clue me in on what im doing wrong? I was running a tc 6.1 i am now running a tc 6.2 ill be trying to motor in that car it seems to be running a decent amount smoother than my 6.1 just more free drive train wise, i am currently running a tekin rs, will probably be switching speedos soon
Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Just wanted to drop a note in here and thank EA for his help with the VXX. I was never a huge fan of the brakes in the VX, but this new ESC really got it right. Feels better than my LRP which is hard to do. Buttery smooth throttle, perfect brakes, and such a compelling looking package. Plus, its reversed A/C wires make it perfect in the Awesomatix. Love it!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry if this has been asked before, I have just got the Orca TX 13.5 motor and was wondering what is the safe running temp for these motors as I don't want to fry it!!

Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bryan D
Sorry if this has been asked before, I have just got the Orca TX 13.5 motor and was wondering what is the safe running temp for these motors as I don't want to fry it!!

Thanks in advance
Typically up to 150-160 would be max. But I have heard of them pushing 200 and not go into meltdown, but obviously you would avoid that temp anyway. My 17.5 in blinky TC doesn't get above 145 and my 5.0 never gets above 110.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default TX Motor bearings?

What type of bearings are in the TX motor from the factory? What size are they if I was looking to upgrade them?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cgroves
What type of bearings are in the TX motor from the factory? What size are they if I was looking to upgrade them?
Look on orcas site under accessories its like the third page they offer ceramic bearinga maybe they have the specs there orcarc.com
Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc car guy
Look on orcas site under accessories its like the third page they offer ceramic bearinga maybe they have the specs there orcarc.com
I looked there first, they list the ceramic bearings but absolutely no information on the size or specification of the stock bearings or the ceramic replacement bearings.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cgroves
I looked there first, they list the ceramic bearings but absolutely no information on the size or specification of the stock bearings or the ceramic replacement bearings.
You can check their actual thread its like orca rc products ask a question they answer quick he said that you need a special tool to replace the sensor board bearing I was looking to replace mine as well because its TIGHT google the part number on the bearing specs should come up
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

These are awesome Ceramics if you want some for the motor. http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bear...-bearings.html

They are 1/8 x 3/8 x 5/32.

EA
Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Eric do you have, or can you get, replacement motor cans? I just need the end the motor mounts to. Managed to hit something with my TC and bent it slightly. I rotated the can 60 degrees or whatever it is and the motor mounts straight in the car now but would like to replace it if I can.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looking for FDR suggestions for 17.5TX.

This is the track layout which as you can see (see video) is tight and technical accompanied with a 82 foot long straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFMSryT7k8

Now, in the video below I am using a TRION 17.5 (Japanese) with a 13.5 rotor.. crazy torque, but too much off throttle drag.. Now the speed control is using dynamic hybrid boost turbo (reventon pro 1.1)

The only problem is now my track has decided on doing away with motor timing and esc boost/turbo ect.

In summary we can only run blinky/fixed timing.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Looking for FDR suggestions for 17.5TX.

This is the track layout which as you can see (see video) is tight and technical accompanied with a 82 foot long straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFMSryT7k8

Now, in the video below I am using a TRION 17.5 (Japanese) with a 13.5 rotor.. crazy torque, but too much off throttle drag.. Now the speed control is using dynamic hybrid boost turbo (reventon pro 1.1)

The only problem is now my track has decided on doing away with motor timing and esc boost/turbo ect.

In summary we can only run blinky/fixed timing.
Well Im running a 100spur with a 50 pinion so im running a 4.0 but youll have to experiment with thr stock 12.5 stock rotor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.