R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Like Tree35Likes

Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #346
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

get the fantom and if roar says it isn't legal say okay.... then go back to your pit area pull all the decals off and go back to tech with a roar approved d3.5
Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #347
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

So lately i have "Burnt up" 2 fantom motors. First off it was a fantom apex v2 17.5 with a orion r10 esc. It was running fine and i adjusted the timing and it was still running fine. I went to change my gearing and then went to adjust the slipper. The motor was cool well doing this. The motor was acting funny. It not pull the front wheels off the ground or have the slipper slip when holding the tires. Shorty after well holding the throttle wide open to show someone else at the track it went up in smoke. Then i put in my Fantom Ion V4 17.5 and adjusted the timing on it as well. Was running fine all day and i went to use it today and it did the same thing. This time with just a little smoke. Both motors are very hard to turn. I never run the motors over 160. Running them in my c4.2 with no binding issues. What could be the problem? When i put the fantom in i also took out the orion r10 and put in a LRP SXX. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

HobbyPro PRS1 / HobbyPro SB401 / Fusion Graphics / Mayor RC
Premier RC Raceway and Hobbies
Dave's RC Tracks
Jcozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcozz View Post
So lately i have "Burnt up" 2 fantom motors. First off it was a fantom apex v2 17.5 with a orion r10 esc. It was running fine and i adjusted the timing and it was still running fine. I went to change my gearing and then went to adjust the slipper. The motor was cool well doing this. The motor was acting funny. It not pull the front wheels off the ground or have the slipper slip when holding the tires. Shorty after well holding the throttle wide open to show someone else at the track it went up in smoke. Then i put in my Fantom Ion V4 17.5 and adjusted the timing on it as well. Was running fine all day and i went to use it today and it did the same thing. This time with just a little smoke. Both motors are very hard to turn. I never run the motors over 160. Running them in my c4.2 with no binding issues. What could be the problem? When i put the fantom in i also took out the orion r10 and put in a LRP SXX. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
You say they are hard to turn. Check to make sure there isn't any solder or a stray strand of wire crossing any of the poles. I had a revtech get that muddy feeling and thought it was smoked. Then I looked and saw one strand of motor wire touching the A and B poles and when I cleaned all the solder off and took the wire off the motor was back to normal. Yours might be a different prob, but it's worth a shot to clean all the solder off each pole and see if it changes anything.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
You say they are hard to turn. Check to make sure there isn't any solder or a stray strand of wire crossing any of the poles. I had a revtech get that muddy feeling and thought it was smoked. Then I looked and saw one strand of motor wire touching the A and B poles and when I cleaned all the solder off and took the wire off the motor was back to normal. Yours might be a different prob, but it's worth a shot to clean all the solder off each pole and see if it changes anything.
Thanks for the tip. Didn't work unforunstely

HobbyPro PRS1 / HobbyPro SB401 / Fusion Graphics / Mayor RC
Premier RC Raceway and Hobbies
Dave's RC Tracks
Jcozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #350
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any news on if Fantom will be coming out with the 'block' packs any time soon? I'm liking the lack of a jump cable on 'saddles'
C4PT4IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 AM   #351
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4PT4IN View Post
Any news on if Fantom will be coming out with the 'block' packs any time soon? I'm liking the lack of a jump cable on 'saddles'
I asked the same question a week or so ago but I think Jeff is way behind on answering emails due to extremely long run of bad weather in the Detroit area, he had to shut down yesterday due to the extreme cold conditions. When he sends me an answer I will post in this thread
idbdoug
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #352
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
I asked the same question a week or so ago but I think Jeff is way behind on answering emails due to extremely long run of bad weather in the Detroit area, he had to shut down yesterday due to the extreme cold conditions. When he sends me an answer I will post in this thread
idbdoug
Oh right, I forgot that this was all in Michigan I hope everything is okay for them out there.. Thanks for the heads up man!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #353
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4PT4IN View Post
Square packs should be in soon, end of January/early February. I believe jeff said they will be 5800mah and somewhere near 80c
idbdoug
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #354
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RcChef

I've just been introduced to fantom motors by accident and they seen very reliable and I'm happy with them. I currently have the red can Ion2 and black can Ion3 pro spec motor run on a tekin rs esc. Both of these motors are 17.5 and I run novice class on packed high traction clay, I've been running the Ion2 with gearing 30\75 with 80 timing with minimal heat and IMO not enough RPM. I'm going to try 35\69 next time on the track with 60 timing. My question is what's the sweet spot, f.d.r. and gearing on both of these motors.
FT.AE B5
AE SC10.2
RcChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #355
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcChef View Post
I've just been introduced to fantom motors by accident and they seen very reliable and I'm happy with them. I currently have the red can Ion2 and black can Ion3 pro spec motor run on a tekin rs esc. Both of these motors are 17.5 and I run novice class on packed high traction clay, I've been running the Ion2 with gearing 30\75 with 80 timing with minimal heat and IMO not enough RPM. I'm going to try 35\69 next time on the track with 60 timing. My question is what's the sweet spot, f.d.r. and gearing on both of these motors.
It really depends on the track size . I don't run a lot of off-road but when I do I always run a 69 32 and always has good power . I think the 35 will be to much
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #356
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcChef View Post
If you have the Avid Triad system, buy the 66t Spur gear and you can run a 35t pinion. I'm running that combo on an open track with smaller jumps. I might drop down to a 33t pinion with the 66t spur for a tighter track. I think switching to the 66t spur would help. On my B4.2, I had to widen motor screw holes on motor plate so you can get pinion and spur to mesh correctly. Also any pinion bigger than 33 you have to use a domed headed screw or the pinion will not fit in between screw heads. You may have to turn down your timing on endbell 10 degrees or so but you still should have more speed with 66t spur.
Hope this helps
idbdoug
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #357
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

66/33 was perfect for me. Works everywhere.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #358
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RcChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by clparsons123 View Post
It really depends on the track size . I don't run a lot of off-road but when I do I always run a 69 32 and always has good power . I think the 35 will be to much
I'll try 32\69 on the track tomorrow night, thanks guys. I don't have the avid system so 69 is my best bet, can't do 66t.
FT.AE B5
AE SC10.2
RcChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #359
Tech Adept

Picking up a new motor next week! Time for some raw 8.5 Ion 4 power in my 2wd buggy! Would you say the 8.5 is around the same amount of power as the older Ion 2/3 7.5's?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #360
Tech Adept

Well you can cancel that idea.. I ended up getting a good deal on a 6.5 motor Now to just dial down the throttle a little because 6.5 is a bit much for a 2wd buggy..