R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Like Tree35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #346
Tech Master
 
Racermac73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Palmyra, Virginia
Posts: 1,601
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

get the fantom and if roar says it isn't legal say okay.... then go back to your pit area pull all the decals off and go back to tech with a roar approved d3.5
__________________
TEAM SCREAM, McFACTORY, TQ WIRE, 360 RACEWAY, XENON-USA.COM, SANWA, DESOTO RACING, JFT TIRES, HOBBYWING, EAM, DESTINY USA, DRIVE RC, TOP USA
Racermac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #347
Tech Master
 
Jcozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,113
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

So lately i have "Burnt up" 2 fantom motors. First off it was a fantom apex v2 17.5 with a orion r10 esc. It was running fine and i adjusted the timing and it was still running fine. I went to change my gearing and then went to adjust the slipper. The motor was cool well doing this. The motor was acting funny. It not pull the front wheels off the ground or have the slipper slip when holding the tires. Shorty after well holding the throttle wide open to show someone else at the track it went up in smoke. Then i put in my Fantom Ion V4 17.5 and adjusted the timing on it as well. Was running fine all day and i went to use it today and it did the same thing. This time with just a little smoke. Both motors are very hard to turn. I never run the motors over 160. Running them in my c4.2 with no binding issues. What could be the problem? When i put the fantom in i also took out the orion r10 and put in a LRP SXX. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
__________________
Jared Cozzocrea

HobbyPro PRS1 / HobbyPro SB401 / Fusion Graphics / Mayor RC
Premier RC Raceway and Hobbies
Dave's RC Tracks
Jcozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #348
Tech Master
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcozz View Post
So lately i have "Burnt up" 2 fantom motors. First off it was a fantom apex v2 17.5 with a orion r10 esc. It was running fine and i adjusted the timing and it was still running fine. I went to change my gearing and then went to adjust the slipper. The motor was cool well doing this. The motor was acting funny. It not pull the front wheels off the ground or have the slipper slip when holding the tires. Shorty after well holding the throttle wide open to show someone else at the track it went up in smoke. Then i put in my Fantom Ion V4 17.5 and adjusted the timing on it as well. Was running fine all day and i went to use it today and it did the same thing. This time with just a little smoke. Both motors are very hard to turn. I never run the motors over 160. Running them in my c4.2 with no binding issues. What could be the problem? When i put the fantom in i also took out the orion r10 and put in a LRP SXX. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
You say they are hard to turn. Check to make sure there isn't any solder or a stray strand of wire crossing any of the poles. I had a revtech get that muddy feeling and thought it was smoked. Then I looked and saw one strand of motor wire touching the A and B poles and when I cleaned all the solder off and took the wire off the motor was back to normal. Yours might be a different prob, but it's worth a shot to clean all the solder off each pole and see if it changes anything.
__________________
Ryan Gracey

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #349
Tech Master
 
Jcozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,113
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
You say they are hard to turn. Check to make sure there isn't any solder or a stray strand of wire crossing any of the poles. I had a revtech get that muddy feeling and thought it was smoked. Then I looked and saw one strand of motor wire touching the A and B poles and when I cleaned all the solder off and took the wire off the motor was back to normal. Yours might be a different prob, but it's worth a shot to clean all the solder off each pole and see if it changes anything.
Thanks for the tip. Didn't work unforunstely
__________________
Jared Cozzocrea

HobbyPro PRS1 / HobbyPro SB401 / Fusion Graphics / Mayor RC
Premier RC Raceway and Hobbies
Dave's RC Tracks
Jcozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #350
Tech Adept
 
C4PT4IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ft Sill
Posts: 233
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Any news on if Fantom will be coming out with the 'block' packs any time soon? I'm liking the lack of a jump cable on 'saddles'
C4PT4IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 AM   #351
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,558
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4PT4IN View Post
Any news on if Fantom will be coming out with the 'block' packs any time soon? I'm liking the lack of a jump cable on 'saddles'
I asked the same question a week or so ago but I think Jeff is way behind on answering emails due to extremely long run of bad weather in the Detroit area, he had to shut down yesterday due to the extreme cold conditions. When he sends me an answer I will post in this thread
idbdoug
__________________
www.serpentamerica.com
www.r1wurks.com
www.falconsekido.com
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #352
Tech Adept
 
C4PT4IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ft Sill
Posts: 233
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
I asked the same question a week or so ago but I think Jeff is way behind on answering emails due to extremely long run of bad weather in the Detroit area, he had to shut down yesterday due to the extreme cold conditions. When he sends me an answer I will post in this thread
idbdoug
Oh right, I forgot that this was all in Michigan I hope everything is okay for them out there.. Thanks for the heads up man!
C4PT4IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #353
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,558
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4PT4IN View Post
Any news on if Fantom will be coming out with the 'block' packs any time soon? I'm liking the lack of a jump cable on 'saddles'
Square packs should be in soon, end of January/early February. I believe jeff said they will be 5800mah and somewhere near 80c
idbdoug
__________________
www.serpentamerica.com
www.r1wurks.com
www.falconsekido.com
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #354
Tech Addict
 
RcChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central, Florida
Posts: 688
Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RcChef
Default

I've just been introduced to fantom motors by accident and they seen very reliable and I'm happy with them. I currently have the red can Ion2 and black can Ion3 pro spec motor run on a tekin rs esc. Both of these motors are 17.5 and I run novice class on packed high traction clay, I've been running the Ion2 with gearing 30\75 with 80 timing with minimal heat and IMO not enough RPM. I'm going to try 35\69 next time on the track with 60 timing. My question is what's the sweet spot, f.d.r. and gearing on both of these motors.
__________________
Mini 8ight
Mini 8 T
FT. AE B44.2
FT.AE B5
AE SC10.2
RcChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #355
Tech Regular
 
clparsons123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcChef View Post
I've just been introduced to fantom motors by accident and they seen very reliable and I'm happy with them. I currently have the red can Ion2 and black can Ion3 pro spec motor run on a tekin rs esc. Both of these motors are 17.5 and I run novice class on packed high traction clay, I've been running the Ion2 with gearing 30\75 with 80 timing with minimal heat and IMO not enough RPM. I'm going to try 35\69 next time on the track with 60 timing. My question is what's the sweet spot, f.d.r. and gearing on both of these motors.
It really depends on the track size . I don't run a lot of off-road but when I do I always run a 69 32 and always has good power . I think the 35 will be to much
__________________
EAM (TEAM EA MOTORSPORTS),ORCA, RC AMERICA, XRAY,HUDY,EZ CUSTOMS, RSD (REFLEX RACING) , JEFFS RC STUDIO, RCTVLIVE
Cory parsons
clparsons123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #356
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,558
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcChef View Post
I've just been introduced to fantom motors by accident and they seen very reliable and I'm happy with them. I currently have the red can Ion2 and black can Ion3 pro spec motor run on a tekin rs esc. Both of these motors are 17.5 and I run novice class on packed high traction clay, I've been running the Ion2 with gearing 30\75 with 80 timing with minimal heat and IMO not enough RPM. I'm going to try 35\69 next time on the track with 60 timing. My question is what's the sweet spot, f.d.r. and gearing on both of these motors.
If you have the Avid Triad system, buy the 66t Spur gear and you can run a 35t pinion. I'm running that combo on an open track with smaller jumps. I might drop down to a 33t pinion with the 66t spur for a tighter track. I think switching to the 66t spur would help. On my B4.2, I had to widen motor screw holes on motor plate so you can get pinion and spur to mesh correctly. Also any pinion bigger than 33 you have to use a domed headed screw or the pinion will not fit in between screw heads. You may have to turn down your timing on endbell 10 degrees or so but you still should have more speed with 66t spur.
Hope this helps
idbdoug
__________________
www.serpentamerica.com
www.r1wurks.com
www.falconsekido.com
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #357
Tech Master
 
Autocratic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,690
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

66/33 was perfect for me. Works everywhere.
__________________
Thanks to my sponsors for 2015!
XFactory RC | Proline Racing | Fantom Racing | Avid RC | Speed Passion USA | Factory1 | Hy-Traction Juice | Mike's Hobby Shop
Autocratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #358
Tech Addict
 
RcChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central, Florida
Posts: 688
Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RcChef
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clparsons123 View Post
It really depends on the track size . I don't run a lot of off-road but when I do I always run a 69 32 and always has good power . I think the 35 will be to much
I'll try 32\69 on the track tomorrow night, thanks guys. I don't have the avid system so 69 is my best bet, can't do 66t.
__________________
Mini 8ight
Mini 8 T
FT. AE B44.2
FT.AE B5
AE SC10.2
RcChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #359
Tech Adept
 
C4PT4IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ft Sill
Posts: 233
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Picking up a new motor next week! Time for some raw 8.5 Ion 4 power in my 2wd buggy! Would you say the 8.5 is around the same amount of power as the older Ion 2/3 7.5's?
C4PT4IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #360
Tech Adept
 
C4PT4IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ft Sill
Posts: 233
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Well you can cancel that idea.. I ended up getting a good deal on a 6.5 motor Now to just dial down the throttle a little because 6.5 is a bit much for a 2wd buggy..
C4PT4IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Losi JRXS Type-R Andrew Gray Electric On-Road 13455 Today 09:49 AM
FANTOM Racing - 2007 adamliehr Team and Company Discussions 12 05-22-2007 10:44 AM
Fantom Racing... Nexus Electric On-Road 11 12-03-2005 08:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:38 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net