Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team fantom racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
On the apex2, they are directly marked... so 60 is marked with a "60". 55 is the tick to the left of that (unmarked), and then to the left of that is marked "50". Most guys are running 55 to 60.
That's where I've been running my Apex2 motors. I've tried lower than 50° and they really don't like it. They run cooler but don't have any power.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

On the apex2, they are directly marked... so 60 is marked with a "60". 55 is the tick to the left of that (unmarked), and then to the left of that is marked "50". Most guys are running 55 to 60.
Thanks brandon for answering that sorry guys i have to get on more often
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Ok, no wonder. Still running the original Apex motors, but at that marking. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Modified Motors Discussion

Guys, if you have any questions about modified motors feel free to ask away. I've been running mod lately, and getting a real nice feel for the IONv.4 Pro modified motors at Jackson R/C.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Williams
Guys, if you have any questions about modified motors feel free to ask away. I've been running mod lately, and getting a real nice feel for the IONv.4 Pro modified motors at Jackson R/C.
Mod onroad I guess?

I'm moving to a 10.5 in my 2wd buggy just to mess around at my local track for awhile. Been running 17.5 in mod class and making people mad

It's a B4 so not sure where to start my gearing. I was thinking 75/30 and see how it feels.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Jon, 4.5 Motor? What FDR are you at? With boost or no boost on the ESC?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAL
Jon, 4.5 Motor? What FDR are you at? With boost or no boost on the ESC?
Yes, indeed: 4.5T.

I found a nice sweet spot for this beast at a 7.8 FDR. I'm currently running boost of 8 on a HobbyWing Xerun v3.1 and turbo at 10 with 0.05s turbo delay (I do not like the feel of waiting ). Running 15deg total endbell timing--that's -5 deg on the endbell I believe. Warren, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for braking I run zero drag brake and rely on push brake as this is my preferred driving style. The motor temp tops out at ~ 130deg and speedo similarly.

I'll update the thread with any major changes after running Saturday.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Good to know. I have a 4.5 installed but haven't ran it yet. I'm at a 7.9 with the gearing that's in it now.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I destroyed the track record at my home track this weekend at stop #3 on the northwest asphalt challenge, using my Fantom Apex2 17.5 and Fantom 4600 shorty lipo, in a Schumacher Mi5 TC. Track record was beat by 2 tenths of a second on a 13-14 second track. (we have a permanent track layout)

I ended up geared at 3.37 FDR, at 55-56 degrees of endbell timing. The motor did NOT like going up to 60 timing at that FDR. All I got was heat, no performance. (This is with the HT stator, and 12.5 HT rotor combo)

Here is something to ponder, that we wern't able to figure out yesterday at the track:

Me and my buddy Ian both run 17.5 TC blinky. We are both running the Apex2 17.5. We were both geared almost identally around 3.37-3.4, and were both running ~55 on the endbell. We qualified less then a second apart for the main event, and are typically evenly paced around the track, and drive our cars almost identically. Both cars appear to be equally fast in the infield, and on the straight. My car is about 50 grams lighter.

The strange thing is, my motor comes off the track at 170, and he comes off at 130. The only difference I can find, is that I am running ceramic bearings in the motor. Car has zero binding and is free as can be. We are both running the torque stator, and torque rotor.

I have been doing this a long time, and can't for the life of me figure out why his motor is coming off SOO much cooler then mine. I have better airflow to my motor as I am running my ESC on the passenger side of the car, and we are both running fans. Any ideas? stumped.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I destroyed the track record at my home track this weekend at stop #3 on the northwest asphalt challenge, using my Fantom Apex2 17.5 and Fantom 4600 shorty lipo, in a Schumacher Mi5 TC. Track record was beat by 2 tenths of a second on a 13-14 second track. (we have a permanent track layout)

I ended up geared at 3.37 FDR, at 55-56 degrees of endbell timing. The motor did NOT like going up to 60 timing at that FDR. All I got was heat, no performance. (This is with the HT stator, and 12.5 HT rotor combo)

Here is something to ponder, that we wern't able to figure out yesterday at the track:

Me and my buddy Ian both run 17.5 TC blinky. We are both running the Apex2 17.5. We were both geared almost identally around 3.37-3.4, and were both running ~55 on the endbell. We qualified less then a second apart for the main event, and are typically evenly paced around the track, and drive our cars almost identically. Both cars appear to be equally fast in the infield, and on the straight. My car is about 50 grams lighter.

The strange thing is, my motor comes off the track at 170, and he comes off at 130. The only difference I can find, is that I am running ceramic bearings in the motor. Car has zero binding and is free as can be. We are both running the torque stator, and torque rotor.

I have been doing this a long time, and can't for the life of me figure out why his motor is coming off SOO much cooler then mine. I have better airflow to my motor as I am running my ESC on the passenger side of the car, and we are both running fans. Any ideas? stumped.
Check and see if there is difference in rotor freeplay, i.e. any movement of rotor in and out. If i was guessing, the cooler motor has a little more freedom of movement and the hotter motor might be a little tight against bearings. Post if correct or not correct. If i'm correct, I would file a little bit off the thicker spacer that faces pinion side.
idbdoug
Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

We both paid for shimming directly from Fantom, and we haven't played with the spacing at all. I can check, but I don't recall the rotor spacing feeling any different then any other Fantom motor I have ever run. ill check.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by idbdoug
Check and see if there is difference in rotor freeplay, i.e. any movement of rotor in and out. If i was guessing, the cooler motor has a little more freedom of movement and the hotter motor might be a little tight against bearings. Post if correct or not correct. If i'm correct, I would file a little bit off the thicker spacer that faces pinion side.
idbdoug
I had the same thing happen last weekend on my ION for some odd reason it was running hot. I took the motor out and apart and everything looked fine, no funny smells or anything but noticed that it felt i little bound up and there was very little rotor play. if i tightened the endbell screws tight it would bind , back them off a 1/2 turn and it was fine, ran the car today and it was literally 50* cooler! i dont know what happened
Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, indeed: 4.5T.

I found a nice sweet spot for this beast at a 7.8 FDR. I'm currently running boost of 8 on a HobbyWing Xerun v3.1 and turbo at 10 with 0.05s turbo delay (I do not like the feel of waiting ). Running 15deg total endbell timing--that's -5 deg on the endbell I believe. Warren, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for braking I run zero drag brake and rely on push brake as this is my preferred driving style. The motor temp tops out at ~ 130deg and speedo similarly.

I'll update the thread with any major changes after running Saturday.
30 is zero so -5 would be 25 degrees
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Cpt.America;12346903]I destroyed the track record at my home track this weekend at stop #3 on the northwest asphalt challenge, using my Fantom Apex2 17.5 and Fantom 4600 shorty lipo, in a Schumacher Mi5 TC. Track record was beat by 2 tenths of a second on a 13-14 second track. (we have a permanent track layout)

I have been doing this a long time, and can't for the life of me figure out why his motor is coming off SOO much cooler then mine. I have better airflow to my motor as I am running my ESC on the passenger side of the car, and we are both running fans. Any ideas? stumped.[/QUOT

Take the motor apart i have found you have to shim more than usual at the sensor i have 5 shims in there due to the sensor being so deep,make sure you either install a smaller shim at the motor shaft end you should have some play when assembled,also what speedo are you running
ttyl
Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Warren Weaver
30 is zero so -5 would be 25 degrees
Yikes, I missed that memo!! so on the ION motors 0=30* this explains alot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.