R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 06-09-2004, 01:02 PM   #1471
Tech Elite

Rod, how did it go last night?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #1472
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know, I finished rebuilding and prepping my car for Tamiya this weekend and then I went home to watch the Lakers-Pistons game. I got a lot done but didn't do any racing...btw, they had four heats of different kinds of stock classes and an F201 class last night, kinda hurting.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #1473
Tech Elite

I was asked to run my F201. I said no. Maybe when a series starts up again, I'll do it. Oh BTW, I mailed off my ROAR nats entry form.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #1474
Tech Adept

Default cycle or not to cycle

a friend offers me three packs of used promatch batteries for a cheap price of $100 and its barely used, so i said to him can i try it on my charger to see how good the packs still are. i use eagle cdc and i cycled it once. the result is not very good. i could only get around 2900 on a full charge even on a safe 4 amp charge. am i doing it wrong, shouldnt i get a hiigher number and a higher voltage out put. what are the parameter for maintainance cycling???? should i use low charge amp first starting from 1 amp and gradually increase. how many cycles should i do? since my charger only discarges at 20 amp i know that i couldnt get the same number as the labels on the cells. WHAT SHOULD I DO????? should i put it in an equalizing tray first. should i push the threshold to the limit????? gp has a lower tolerance compare to sanyo 3300HV
prodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #1475
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

Well the threshold may be to low, traying them on a Pro Match Tray will help also. It may take several runs to get them back also. How long have these batteries sat without running? If they sit it can take some running to restore the runtime and voltage they once had. Try slightly increasing the threshold each charge but I would recommend running the batteries for a couple of race weekends to wake them up. Update us after you try this.
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:25 AM   #1476
Tech Elite

Default Re: cycle or not to cycle

Quote:
Originally posted by prodrive
a friend offers me three packs of used promatch batteries for a cheap price of $100 and its barely used, so i said to him can i try it on my charger to see how good the packs still are. i use eagle cdc and i cycled it once. the result is not very good. i could only get around 2900 on a full charge even on a safe 4 amp charge. am i doing it wrong, shouldnt i get a hiigher number and a higher voltage out put. what are the parameter for maintainance cycling???? should i use low charge amp first starting from 1 amp and gradually increase. how many cycles should i do? since my charger only discarges at 20 amp i know that i couldnt get the same number as the labels on the cells. WHAT SHOULD I DO????? should i put it in an equalizing tray first. should i push the threshold to the limit????? gp has a lower tolerance compare to sanyo 3300HV
That's a great price for three packs. The problem I see is the batts need to be discharged before charging. Since you don't have the capability to discharge at 30amp, run the batts in your car until the car completely dies. Tray them and charge them.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 AM   #1477
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Discharging:

I have had a problem with motors overheating, (this past weekend I was only able to get about 3 5 minute runs before I had to replace the brushes and have the comm turned) so I am cautious about running the car except during races. I don't have a discharge system - any suggestions on how to discharge the batteries safely?

I would assume running the car at "non-race" speeds, to prevent overheating the motor, wouldn't necessarily be a good idea since the batteries should be ran like they will be raced - isn't that correct?

Not being able to run the car more is really tough, since it limits my practice time - and the fact that I really enjoy running it. Would a non-race (lower price/performance) motor be a way to go for playing around?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:06 AM   #1478
Tech Adept

RCtoyguy,

As hot as it's been here in Bama 3-5 runs on a stock motor is about all you'll get . You could probably buy a bulb discharger for around the same price as a motor to play with. Of course if practice time is a concern then a "budget" motor might be the way to go. You could probably find someone with a used stock motor in decent shape that would be willing to sell it.
Ozwald Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #1479
Tech Master

I had been looking for a bulb discharger (with cutoff), but someone told me that using a dishcharger would just take runs off of the battery - as opposed to being able to use those runs for practice or racing.... makes sense to me.

I guess that is just the trade-off?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #1480
Tech Adept

That's correct, I rarely cycle my packs just to cycle them. I was just referring to using the discharger to bring down the packs after running them in the car for 5 minutes. That way you aren't torching the motor by running it for 8 or 9 minutes to discharge the batteries.
Ozwald Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #1481
Tech Master

Gotcha -- Thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #1482
Tech Master

Sounds familiar...
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #1483
Tech Master

Sometimes, when someone is a little hard to follow, you have to ask again to be sure you understand correctly so that you aren't punished later for mishearing or misunderstanding. I have also found that opinions differ on this (like most things), so as you are trying to learn what's best, you can only get different opinions and look at the big picture of what several people think.

Not second guessing or looking for verification - just trying to be sure I follow the way things are meant to work.

It's all good.... For me, anyway.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #1484
Tech Master

LOL no one is gonna punish anyone,LOL
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
Old 06-10-2004, 12:31 PM   #1485
Tech Elite

Erika, thanks for the hook up for the ROAR nats.