R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 09-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #4576
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TMR CHASSIS

Jake, if your looking for a sponsorship from any company. This is one thing that will make that happen. Get people to buy there product! Yes you need to be good but if you can get locals to buy product then that is more important to a company than a national tile. Yes you need to run up front to help sell product to others also. Jeff and Erika and everyone @ ProMatch are great people!!! Just my thoughts...

Raymond McCoy

Team Hyperdrive Racing
Team ProMatch Batteries
Team WindTunnel Racing Products
Team KCRacing Motors
Team Kimbrough Products
MSA Distributors
TMR CHASSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #4577
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMoore View Post
Jake, I would say that you should try to attend as many major races as possible in the coming year.
I have been thinking about trying to get to some bigger races on the east coast this coming summer, which would be easier if there was a 13.5 brushless class for 2wd buggy and 2wd truck, gosh if roar would just get with it, might have to get 7.5s and run mod.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS View Post
Yes you need to be good but if you can get locals to buy product then that is more important to a company than a national tile.
I agree, but I feel that this early in racing for me, I don't think I can maintain the responsibilities of a sponsorship, aka going to big races alot....I may be able to make only one or two a year, maybe not even that many.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #4578
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
I have been thinking about trying to get to some bigger races on the east coast this coming summer, which would be easier if there was a 13.5 brushless class for 2wd buggy and 2wd truck, gosh if roar would just get with it, might have to get 7.5s and run mod.....
As nice as brushless stock is, you might not have a choice but to run brushed stock at some events. It will teach you a ton about how the motors work, and how to make them fast. You'll have a whole new respect for when there wasnt brushless technology in rc, haha. If youre looking for a good event, check out "The Clash" in my sig.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #4579
Tech Elite

Quote:
As nice as brushless stock is, you might not have a choice but to run brushed stock at some events. It will teach you a ton about how the motors work, and how to make them fast. You'll have a whole new respect for when there wasnt brushless technology in rc, haha. If youre looking for a good event, check out "The Clash" in my sig.
i agree, the last trophy race was brushed only, i ran a co27 in my t4, the winner had a 13 turn, 3rd place had a 14 turn....i know the workings of a motor, its just brushless is nice which is why we where discussing going to CRCRC this jan, because its a stock handout class.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #4580
Tech Elite

confirmed, going to CRCRC this year!!! going to be running mod, need to get some brushless mods tho.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #4581
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
I agree, but I feel that this early in racing for me, I don't think I can maintain the responsibilities of a sponsorship, aka going to big races alot....I may be able to make only one or two a year, maybe not even that many.
You don't have to hit a lot of so called big races to get a good sponsor. Like I said you need to be able to run upfront at local races and sell product. If you have been in racing for any length of time you know that people follow to company's that fast guys are running for.

Raymond McCoy

Team Hyperdrive Racing
Team ProMatch Batteries
Team WindTunnel Racing Products
Team KCRacing Motors
Team Kimbrough Products
MSA Distributors

Last edited by TMR CHASSIS; 09-24-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #4582
Tech Elite

Quote:
If you have been in racing for any length of time you know that people follow to company's that fast guys are running for.
very true...after people seeing my brushless at a club race last thursday, a bunch are finally stepping into the future...well i mean present...hah
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #4583
Tech Elite

THANK YOU PROMATCH POWER

Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #4584
Tech Elite

Im sure this has been asked, but IB vs EP cells? I want to pick up some new packs for the racing season, but Ive heard nothing good about IB, and nothing at all about EP.

I found this while cleaning out some old rc stuff. One of my race packs, tech'd for the 2003 Worlds...I remember when those numbers were good, haha.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #4585
Tech Fanatic

Andy,
What are you looking for? Voltage or run time? What will you be running them in? IB's have killer voltage and good runtime but vent somewhat easy. EP's have good voltage and great runtime. Except if your running 4-cell mod oval 5-6 turns kills the runtime. For club racing I would go with EP's big races IB's. JMO

Raymond McCoy
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #4586
Tech Elite

Quote:
Andy,
What are you looking for? Voltage or run time? What will you be running them in? IB's have killer voltage and good runtime but vent somewhat easy. EP's have good voltage and great runtime. Except if your running 4-cell mod oval 5-6 turns kills the runtime. For club racing I would go with EP's big races IB's. JMO

Raymond McCoy
2wd/Truck/4wd mod basically. Im not too concerned about voltage, as these packs far exceed anything I though possible when Nimh batteries were first introduced. I guess I'll look into a couple EP packs, unless PMR suggests that I should wait for the introduction of their "next" cell?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #4587
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
2wd/Truck/4wd mod basically. Im not too concerned about voltage, as these packs far exceed anything I though possible when Nimh batteries were first introduced. I guess I'll look into a couple EP packs, unless PMR suggests that I should wait for the introduction of their "next" cell?
I think everyone has their personal opinion on which is better but I say try both and see which you prefer. I have very good packs of both and to me, it's hard to tell the difference. EP's are more durable but do self-discharge over time and the IB's are very finky when being charged and you need to be consistant in your charging/discharging "ritual".

I've run into racers that swear EP's are inferior and I've run into racers that have had it with IB's venting on them so like I said 50 different racers will give you 50 different opinions. So, try a couple of each and let us know what you think after racing both brands at your level. Good luck.

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #4588
Tech Elite

Ill run any 4200 that says "Promatch" on it my ib4200s still take 4200-4500 so ill keep running them, all still pull up on my dpd saying about 1.39-1.45 volts when i first put them on.

main thing about keeping the ibs from venting is using a quality equalizing tray to bring all the cells down to .9v before charging to prevent overcharging.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #4589
Tech Fanatic

Andy, For offroad I would get the EP's. In offroad you wont notice the difference in voltage. Now in oval IB's are top of the line! Offroad runtime,voltage don't make much difference they all will work.

Raymond McCoy
Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #4590
Tech Regular

Default EP VS IB

Jake- E-mail all the info you posted in here. We are reviewing in December

Andy- Re-send request for sponsorship, like I told Jake we are reviewing in Dec. The guys have pretty much covered it all for you regarding which cell is the cell of choice and why. Off-Road cell of choice is the EP!

ASM- Nice to see you on here again!!
PMRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote