R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 AM   #4321
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

per jeff on the promatch site:

The new Intellect Series cells have extremely high voltage and current flow characteristics, so special care must be taken when using these cells.

You must use a quality charger speciafically designed to charge Ni-MH cells and that has adjustable peak detection or thermal charging capabilities. The #1 reason for pack failures is cell venting caused by one or more cells being overcharged! This happens most often with inexpensive chargers! This is absolutely not the place to cheap out! We can't reccomend specific chargers to use but ask around and see which ones are the most popular and reliable.

How do I take care of the IB 3800's? When you first receive your new packs it is imperative to follow these instructions. First start by performing a "Soft Cycle" by charging the pack at 4 AMPS for about 10 minutes and then immediately discharge the pack at a high rate (20 to 30 AMPS) to .9 Volts per cell or 5.4 Volts for a 6 cell or 3.6 Volts for a 4 cell pack. Follow this by equalizing the pack using a discharge/equalization tray. (We recommend the Tekin Battery Doctor 8.0). As soon as the lights go out on the tray, fully charge the pack at 5-6 AMPS.

What should I set the peak detection threshold at? Whatever it takes to get the batteries to 120-130 degrees farenheit when the charger shuts off. This is assuming that the battery charger and battery pack are at room temperature (70-85 degrees Farenheit) when setting up the Peak Detection Value (PDV). On my Turbo 35GFX it is .03 for a 6 cell pack. Some may find this setting is to high or too low for their chargers so please start with a lower (PDV) and work your way up to the proper temperature range in order to avoid damaging the pack! As the pack nears the end of the charge cycle check the temperature with an accurate temperature sensing device every 30 seconds. If the charger shuts off anywhere between 120-130 F. leave the (PDV) there. If it shuts off below this temperature range increase the (PDV) to the next higher value, if the charger does not shut off and the temperature reaches 130 f. unplug the pack and lower the (PDV) by one value until the charger shuts off in the proper temperature range. Once you have determined the proper (PDV) for your charger you can charge safely at this setting and no further adjustment should be necessary*

* If you change between using 4 and 6 cell packs you will most likely need to lower the PDV for 4 cell packs.

For short term storage (less than a week). After racing (if you charge the packs more than once a night do not discharge between races), discharge the packs to .9 volts per cell (5.4 volts for a 6 cell pack) and put them away. The next use and just before charging, we recommend the use of an equalization tray (diode built in) for these cells. Leave the cells on the tray only long enough for the led's to go out. You should charge the cells up immediately after equalization. For longer periods of inactivity some charge must be left in these cells. Expect a temporary decrease in performance after long periods of inactivity. If the packs have not been used for more than two weeks it is recommended to put a soft cycle on the cells as described above before racing with them.

How many times a day can I run these packs? If you are a backyard basher I would expect 3 times a day would be about the limit. This is assuming you let the pack cool down thoroughly between runs. At least an hour and two hours would be better. If you are racing, I would limit use to twice a race and let the packs cool down between runs.

What about step charging? There are lots of theories about step charging, pulse vs. linear, flex charging, and lots more. My personal feeling is this. A batteries performance is mainly limited to the internal structure (hence why some cells are better than others). As long as you fill it all the way up (without overcharging it) you will get the best performance from the cells that you can. The only effect I have seen is that lower rate charging will make the power last a bit longer and higher rate charging makes the pack run a little faster. I personally use linear charging at 6 amps for the type of racing that I do (offroad).

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #4322
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Erika,

Did you have a chance to check out the cd that I burned...If not put it in that coffee mug holder thingy at the front of your computer
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #4323
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

hey erica, the 4200 4 cell packs you sent are awsome, ive got like 2-3 runs on each pack, wow, fast.
ive been trying to get a promatch avatar on here with no avail. i have one on hobby talk but its too big for rc tech. any ideas? thanx.

im sure ill be calling you soon, lol, C-U L8R

john mcintosh
Apl Hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #4324
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

When you try to add it here it should give you the max size you can use so just re size it and ou should be good to go.
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 PM   #4325
Tech Addict

im a noob on the pc, not sure how to re-size pictures, lol.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #4326
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

if you want to email me what you have, I'll resize it for you and send it back...

You've got a PM with my e-mail address in it...

sup folks?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #4327
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy
if you want to email me what you have, I'll resize it for you and send it back...

You've got a PM with my e-mail address in it...

sup folks?
done! check ur e-mail jeff. thanx, i sent 4 pics to resize, 80x80 pixels? thanx, really appreciate it. i guess i need to get photoshop or something, lol

L8R
Old 10-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #4328
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You got mail back... Check out Paint Shop Pro from JASC Software- I think they might still have a free download. It's what I use instead of Photoshop about 99% of the time. As a matter of fact, I have just started trying to learn some stuff in Photoshop, but I keep coming back to Paint Shop Pro. (guess cause I'm more familiar with it)
Old 10-25-2006, 11:47 PM   #4329
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Looking to get some batteries. Are the world championship cells in the garage sale cycled @ 35 amps? I did not see that description. Thanks
Yellowtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #4330
Tech Elite

they are most likely 35amp discharge. Promatch move to 35amp discharge before these cells were released, so i doubt that Jeff would go back and match at 30amp

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #4331
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy
You got mail back... Check out Paint Shop Pro from JASC Software- I think they might still have a free download. It's what I use instead of Photoshop about 99% of the time. As a matter of fact, I have just started trying to learn some stuff in Photoshop, but I keep coming back to Paint Shop Pro. (guess cause I'm more familiar with it)

check out the new avatar, thanx to rctoyguy. thanx bro for helping me wit it. now my posts dont feel so naked, lol.
also ty for the info on paint shop pro, i will try it. btw, u have e-mail, dissregard the part where i ask you what program to use, lol.

well, hope to see alot of you at the halloween classic this weekend, i will be there sporting my new diggity designs, pro-match powered, D-12 v2. wish me luck.

L8R
Old 10-31-2006, 06:43 AM   #4332
Tech Adept

Default 4200WC

Hi All

Is it safe to charge these batteries more than twice a day? , say even 3-4 times a day?. Also do you have to fully discharge the pack before you charge it for the second or so time in the same day, especially if you dont have time between rounds to discharge it first, can you just the pack cool and charge it straight up without a discharge?

Thanks
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 AM   #4333
Tech Regular

would charging at 7amps or 8amps be too much for the IB4200 Promatch cells?? would it be safe to do so? what are the implications??

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
RocketRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #4334
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap
Hi All

Is it safe to charge these batteries more than twice a day? , say even 3-4 times a day?. Also do you have to fully discharge the pack before you charge it for the second or so time in the same day, especially if you dont have time between rounds to discharge it first, can you just the pack cool and charge it straight up without a discharge?

Thanks

the problem is that these cells do not really do well after the second charge. you can run them 3-4 time, but there will not be the power as the first two charges and it will reduce their life quite a bit

Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #4335
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRacer
would charging at 7amps or 8amps be too much for the IB4200 Promatch cells?? would it be safe to do so? what are the implications??
the biggest problem is reduced life. I have seen guys charge at 12 amps. but they run their pack like a month and then on to new packs