R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 12-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #3961
Tech Fanatic

Correct me if I'm wrong here,but I don't think peak detect settings have anything to do with capacity.You're using different settings and wayyy different equipment than what the batteries were matched at,therefore you're gettting wayyy different readings.It's one reason most matchers recommend you not to cycle when you get new cells,just charge and discharge them the way they instruct and go racing.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #3962
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

I set the delta peak to 20mv on my Pulsar and my Promatch 3800 cells routinely charge to 4000mah or more.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #3963
Tech Regular

well he said he set his peak detect to 5mv/cell, so for the Ice thats 30mv for the whole pack, that should be more than sufficient.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #3964
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg
I recently ordered and received a six pack of the matched IB3800s rated at 1.21+. Each of the six cells was marked as 1.21x where x is between 1 and 3. This is certainly the highest voltage level I've ever seen on a battery sticker.

Yesterday, I finally got around to building a pack with these. I was careful when soldering and did not overheat any of the cells. I used Dean's 3.0 battery bars (except for one Trinity gold bar where I needed some extra space). I used 12 gauge Dean's wire and a Dean's female plug.

I followed the instructions for charging, setting the delta peak at its lowest level on my ICE and setting the thermal cutoff at 134*. I then ran a discharge/charge cycle, let the pack rest overnight and repeated. I also raised the delta peak to 5mv as the final temp at the end of the first charge was less than 110*.

According to the ICE, the pack only accepted a charge of 3,560 mah and only delivered a charge (when discharging at 10 amp) of about 3,300 mah. Subsequently raising the delta peak even to 8mv did not help as the charging cycle ended with the pack at less than 115* and no increase in the amount of charge accepted.

By comparison, I have a battery pack from cheaperbatterypacks.com using the Elite 3600 cells that under similar conditions accepts a charge of over 3,600 mah.

I have not run the new IB3800 pack yet, but I am concerned that it does not seem to have the expected capacity.

Any advice welcome.

Ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
well he said he set his peak detect to 5mv/cell, so for the Ice thats 30mv for the whole pack, that should be more than sufficient.
Re-read his post. He didn't say that he set it at 5mv/cell, only that the peak detect was at 5mv (which would be for the whole pack).

iblumberg - Guaranteed nothing is wrong with your pack. You just have the delta peak set too low. Recommended mv/cell is about 5mv per cell, so for a 4-cell pack your setting would be 20mv and a 6-cell pack would be 30mv. Bump it up to about 25, just to be safe, and try charging again. Raise it until the pack peaks around 130-140 degrees F. It's just not getting a full charge. Also, why are you cycling a brand new pack? I wouldn't think that would be necessary for a brand new pack, your just wasting the prime runs on those cells.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #3965
Tech Fanatic

Also, why are you cycling a brand new pack? I wouldn't think that would be necessary for a brand new pack, your just wasting the prime runs on those cells.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #3966
Tech Regular

ummm no, for the ice the mv setting refers to 1 cell.

you cant get 5mv for the whole pack for the ice anyway, coz the lowest is 1mv x 6 cells = 6mv per pack

so the setting for 5mv is for a single cell.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #3967
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

you cant get 5mv for the whole pack for the ice anyway, coz the lowest is 1mv x 6 cells = 6mv per pack

Just another reason to stick with CE equipment.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #3968
Tech Apprentice

As a newbie to this sport I was very lucky to find Pro-Match Batteries right from the start. The batteries are the great and the customer service is outstanding. I'm in the US Air Force, and travel away from home quite a bit. After an order, PMRGirl tracked me down in the middle of no where to ask me about a problem with my order. Very impressive....I can be a hard guy to find some times. I'll run with Pro-Match until one of us goes out of buissines, and I'm sure I'll be the one to go first!

Just one question; Has Pro-Match ever concidered selling assembled packs with Deans connectors installed? Sure would save me some time if they could be ordered RTR.

THANKS to Jeff and all the Pro-Match gang!
9_Ball_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #3969
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9_Ball_Slim

Just one question; Has Pro-Match ever concidered selling assembled packs with Deans connectors installed? Sure would save me some time if they could be ordered RTR.

THANKS to Jeff and all the Pro-Match gang!

i pretty sure u can buy promatch assembled with deans. go on there website and u can specify the options....
Old 12-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #3970
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:

umm ok.

That's not the point, the point is the charger is still cutting the cells off too early. Increase the mv setting to whatever makes the cells peak around 130-140F. Period. It doesn't matter what the value is, just get those things full of juice.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #3971
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

How much is a set of gp3700?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #3972
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Racer
The FAQ section of the site says to discharge to .9 volts/cell after a race day, and to put the packs (IB3800s) on a tray before you charge them. Do you mean a tray that takes them down to zero volts? Could a novak smart tray in dead short mode do this? Apparently it discharges each cell to 0 volts shuts off and discharges them back to zero after the voltage rises in this mode. Could a smart tray also be used to take the cells down to .9 volts or is that too low of a discharge rate. I have an Integy 16x5v6 which discharges to .8v/cell at 20Amps, would it be better to use that or the smart tray. Apparently you can trick the 16x5v6 to having a cutoff a tiny bit higher than .9v/cell by telling it that it is discharging 7 cells, so I could do that too.

Thanks
Can anybody answer this? Sorry for the repost, but I want to order a smart tray while I can still get free shipping at tower if it'll get the job done.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #3973
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Racer
Can anybody answer this? Sorry for the repost, but I want to order a smart tray while I can still get free shipping at tower if it'll get the job done.
i have not owned a smart tray. but here is what I do. I have a 0-30 and a dynapulse. I use the 0-30 before I charge. I leave it on the tray for about 2-3 mins. and then charge. at the end of the race day, I run the dynapulse on each pack. this takes it down to .9/cell and then I store until next weekend. I just picked up one of the tekin trays that promatch sells. It is very similar to the trays they use to make. I will probably look at using this tray before I charge to equalize all the cells. this tray take the cells down to .5v/cell. I think that is too low to store the cells. the big thing is to try and store the cells at .9v/cell and to take then down at the highest amp load that you would be running. And then to equalize the cells before you charge. the problem at least with the 0-30 is that it only equalizes when it is at 0v. I like the tekin tray because it takes them down to .5v and equalizes them at .5v

if you go through the ib3800 thread, i believe that Rayhuang and danny at smc have a recommendation for the novak tray. actually search that thread for my posts asking about care of the ib3800. that is where Ray and Danny made there suggestion and ray uses the novak tray.

I have had my ib3800 packs for about 3 months now and they are as punchy as the day I got them. Actually they are just as fast as the packs I got last week. 10.0-10.2 with 3 month old packs and 10.1-10.2.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #3974
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarpetRacer93
How much is a set of gp3700?
go to promatchracing.com they have some december specials on gp's price is based on the voltage output of the cells. just click on products and then gp3700. or the specials are on the first page.

if you need help with picking the right cells, just let us know what you are using them for and we can get you some recommendations.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 12-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #3975
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg
I recently ordered and received a six pack of the matched IB3800s rated at 1.21+. Each of the six cells was marked as 1.21x where x is between 1 and 3. This is certainly the highest voltage level I've ever seen on a battery sticker.

Yesterday, I finally got around to building a pack with these. I was careful when soldering and did not overheat any of the cells. I used Dean's 3.0 battery bars (except for one Trinity gold bar where I needed some extra space). I used 12 gauge Dean's wire and a Dean's female plug.

I followed the instructions for charging, setting the delta peak at its lowest level on my ICE and setting the thermal cutoff at 134*. I then ran a discharge/charge cycle, let the pack rest overnight and repeated. I also raised the delta peak to 5mv as the final temp at the end of the first charge was less than 110*.

According to the ICE, the pack only accepted a charge of 3,560 mah and only delivered a charge (when discharging at 10 amp) of about 3,300 mah. Subsequently raising the delta peak even to 8mv did not help as the charging cycle ended with the pack at less than 115* and no increase in the amount of charge accepted.

By comparison, I have a battery pack from cheaperbatterypacks.com using the Elite 3600 cells that under similar conditions accepts a charge of over 3,600 mah.

I have not run the new IB3800 pack yet, but I am concerned that it does not seem to have the expected capacity.

Any advice welcome.

Ira
not sure how the ice works, but if you can get it to cut off at a temp, then I would just set the delta high and tell it to cut off at 120. The battery temp will still climb a little after the charge stops, but will not get past 130. if that still gets you less then 4200+ on your IB3800, then I would get a new charger. I have 15 pack of ib3800 and they all take 4300+. I do take the cells all the way down to 0v on my 0-30 before I charge. half of these are 3 months old and the other half are new first runs. i have tryed running them a second time in the same race day and they only peak at 3500mah or so on the second charge. but they are never as punchy, actually kind of soft the entire 8 mins. this is using a gfx to discharge at 30. I feel that a full pack discharge at high current just does not bring the batteries down evenly and that is probably why you are getting such a low mah on the charge. try using one of the individual cell equalizing trays before you charge.