R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 11-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #3946
Tech Elite

I just bring them right down prior to charging on the 030 and eq them that way, prior to charging, this is the reccomended method.

I thought you meant eq'ing them prior to storage.
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 AM   #3947
Tech Fanatic

Brit,

I'm not sure I understand your method? How can you EQ after the 0-30 there's not really enough there to EQ without going to 0,seems like it would have to be one or the other? I understand this is all prior to charging.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:22 AM   #3948
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

Wow, this turned into a tray comparison,LOL. Like I said I use the tekin tray towards the end of the discharge(dimming or lights just out). I prefer to slowly take the pack down near the end of the discharge and hold it at .5 for 15-20 mins before charging.(seems that since the pack is not taken all the way down to 0volts it false peaks less) I have seen an increase in mah,and noticeable increase in punch (lower IR) doing it this way. It usually does not take long for the tekin tray to do this,it is around a 2amp discharge (if I recall correctly) and will hold the cells at the .5 mark as long as it sits in the tray. Just my method, not the gospel by any means. I know folks who use the 0-30 all the down and I myself did the same for a while but I feel I get better performance the current way.

sdmlsu1: Glad you like them!! You are right Erika,Jeff,Steve and the gang are top notch!!!
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #3949
Tech Elite

I put it on the 030 and leave the cells there for a few mins to eq to zero.

I know it takes about an hour to get the cells fully to zero on these trays, but its pretty even after about 10mins.

Its the best I can do.

Other matchers reccomend dropping cells to 0.9v after use, then putting cells on 030 for several mins prior to charging. Thats what I do.

I think I will pick up one of the tekin tray though.
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #3950
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

I just got a 0-30 and some guy at the track told me not to use it on the IB cells. Somthing about them not liking to be at zero. But I dont have a quick way to drop my cells because my pulsar only discharges the batteries at ten amps. So its ok to use the zero thirty just aslong as you dont let them sit? Also I emailed Promatch about my cells a few days ago and havent gotten a response..is there another way to get a hold of them?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #3951
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
I just got a 0-30 and some guy at the track told me not to use it on the IB cells. Somthing about them not liking to be at zero. But I dont have a quick way to drop my cells because my pulsar only discharges the batteries at ten amps. So its ok to use the zero thirty just aslong as you dont let them sit? Also I emailed Promatch about my cells a few days ago and havent gotten a response..is there another way to get a hold of them?

WhoMe, yes you are okay as long as you remove the batteries as soon as the lights turn off. if you leave it on there any longer.. it will bring it down all the way to 0.0v. as long as you keep an eye on it, you will be okay.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 PM   #3952
Tech Fanatic

Lightbulb

It takes about an hour to get the cells to zero on a zero 30,they should be at about .07 very safe level, if you take them off when the lights go out, or pretty soon afterwards just don't let them sit there for an extended period of time IE: hours,but a few mins won't hurt them.If you take them down to .09 with your charger first, it won't take but a few seconds on the zero thirty.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:14 AM   #3953
Tech Regular

whome- Sorry I have not responded to your e-mail, you can call us at 928-855-2226
PMRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #3954
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone using the Ib3800's that can give me a good setup to charge on the Duratrax ice?

Thanks
Gael
Gael L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #3955
Tech Fanatic

6 amps and you will have to play with the peak detect to find 125-135 degrees at peak,this is where mine have performed their best.I use .02 on my GFX.You want to discharge at 30 amps down to .09 per cell and store NO DEAD SHORTING! for these cells.If you store for more than a week put a half charge in them,more than a few weeks put a full charge in them.also need to equalize on a tray before charging, PM recommends the Tekin tray.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #3956
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

ditto....you are all over it Hyper1. Thanks!
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #3957
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

PMRGirl, Id like to thank you for being so very helpful on the phone the other day. Promatch definatly gets an A+ for customer service...quick, knowlegable and overall very helpful. I sent off the email we talked about today, sorry it took so long as I was unable to get to my comp sooner.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #3958
Tech Regular

Yeah - Just talked to Jeff on the phone and talk about great customer service - besides great batteries - they get my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DLM2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:10 PM   #3959
Tech Addict

The FAQ section of the site says to discharge to .9 volts/cell after a race day, and to put the packs (IB3800s) on a tray before you charge them. Do you mean a tray that takes them down to zero volts? Could a novak smart tray in dead short mode do this? Apparently it discharges each cell to 0 volts shuts off and discharges them back to zero after the voltage rises in this mode. Could a smart tray also be used to take the cells down to .9 volts or is that too low of a discharge rate. I have an Integy 16x5v6 which discharges to .8v/cell at 20Amps, would it be better to use that or the smart tray. Apparently you can trick the 16x5v6 to having a cutoff a tiny bit higher than .9v/cell by telling it that it is discharging 7 cells, so I could do that too.

Thanks
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #3960
Tech Adept

Default IB3800 capacity problem?

I recently ordered and received a six pack of the matched IB3800s rated at 1.21+. Each of the six cells was marked as 1.21x where x is between 1 and 3. This is certainly the highest voltage level I've ever seen on a battery sticker.

Yesterday, I finally got around to building a pack with these. I was careful when soldering and did not overheat any of the cells. I used Dean's 3.0 battery bars (except for one Trinity gold bar where I needed some extra space). I used 12 gauge Dean's wire and a Dean's female plug.

I followed the instructions for charging, setting the delta peak at its lowest level on my ICE and setting the thermal cutoff at 134*. I then ran a discharge/charge cycle, let the pack rest overnight and repeated. I also raised the delta peak to 5mv as the final temp at the end of the first charge was less than 110*.

According to the ICE, the pack only accepted a charge of 3,560 mah and only delivered a charge (when discharging at 10 amp) of about 3,300 mah. Subsequently raising the delta peak even to 8mv did not help as the charging cycle ended with the pack at less than 115* and no increase in the amount of charge accepted.

By comparison, I have a battery pack from cheaperbatterypacks.com using the Elite 3600 cells that under similar conditions accepts a charge of over 3,600 mah.

I have not run the new IB3800 pack yet, but I am concerned that it does not seem to have the expected capacity.

Any advice welcome.

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote