R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 11-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #3901
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #3902
Tech Addict

Im thinking about ordering some new batteries tomorrow with the 15% off sale. Is there any reason that you would want to get GP3700s over IB3800s? The IBs are cheaper, yet have higher voltage and runtime, and they almost seem too good to be true. Im running mod buggy, and Im thinking that I will get the discounted 440-469 runtime 1.21+ IBs. The runtime shouldnt be a problem for my application as far as I know, but are the cells weak in any area other than runtime? I have a 16x5v6 and Im wondering if it will be a problem, since it tends to make cells hotter than other chargers. Since its pretty cold right now, I dont think it should be a problem, but Im not sure about when it gets warm out again. I have a temp gauge, but Im often not there when my batteries peak. Would charging at 5 amps instead of 6 help keep the temps down? I could get a new charger, but probably not right away.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:09 PM   #3903
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Racer
Im thinking about ordering some new batteries tomorrow with the 15% off sale. Is there any reason that you would want to get GP3700s over IB3800s? The IBs are cheaper, yet have higher voltage and runtime, and they almost seem too good to be true. Im running mod buggy, and Im thinking that I will get the discounted 440-469 runtime 1.21+ IBs. The runtime shouldnt be a problem for my application as far as I know, but are the cells weak in any area other than runtime? I have a 16x5v6 and Im wondering if it will be a problem, since it tends to make cells hotter than other chargers. Since its pretty cold right now, I dont think it should be a problem, but Im not sure about when it gets warm out again. I have a temp gauge, but Im often not there when my batteries peak. Would charging at 5 amps instead of 6 help keep the temps down? I could get a new charger, but probably not right away.
your safe charging at 5amps. but if you are racing stock, (edit: 6amps is for onroad racing. i just noticed you said off road. ) the preferred rate is 6amps. in my experience, the GPs can take a beating (not as sensitive to temperatures, etc) and i was able to charge them at high rates repeatedly. the new revisions of the IB might have changed this? (other please chime in.)

either way, you cant go wrong. the Promatch batteries will serve you well.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 PM   #3904
Tech Fanatic

I've got the latest batch of IB's and the runtime and voltage is for real,they really will show out on the track,I've put another lap in my class with them.I haven't ran any of the 37's I went from GP33's to IB38's and so far love'm.As usual my pro-match's haven't let me down,I charge my IB's at 6 with a .02 drop back and they peak right at 130 degrees which is about perfect.If your not able to moniter your packs I would suggest getting a charger with a temp cutoff,such as the Much More or equilvalent ,I use a CE GFX but I generally moniter my packs pretty close.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:38 AM   #3905
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys it says there is a promo code to enter on the site for the sale today, but I don't see it?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:55 AM   #3906
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

for brand new batts... how many cycle before they reach their peak performance... can you use your batts daily?
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:24 AM   #3907
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman
for brand new batts... how many cycle before they reach their peak performance... can you use your batts daily?
2-3 cycles should do it.Yes you can use them daily just make sure they are at ambient temp before you charge them again.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #3908
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the promo code is on the home page and the sale has been extended thru saturday.

woohoo!!!

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:10 AM   #3909
Tech Master

Yeah 2-3 runs per day is fine, keep in mind a slight loss of runtime is normal when using them that many times per day. (not permanent)
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
Old 11-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #3910
Tech Addict

Since the layout of the site has been changed so that you directly buy an assembled or unassembled pack, if I buy the low runtime packs can I still have them assembled? and if so how much does it cost? Does anybody know if the low runtime cells have any other weaknesses? Do the cells come with some charge in them? Im getting them as a christmas gift, and I want to get them on sale, but they wont be touched until then.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #3911
Tech Fanatic

I can't answer for pro-match but I'm pretty sure that you can order any pack assembled or unasssembled and the assembly is a part of their service,besides the great batteries, it's a great service that I take advantage of everytime I order.Every batch of batteries has cells that when put through the matching process come out at different levels,this is normal and nothing is wrong with the lower #'ed packs,their just that, lower #'ed packs that's all.When I buy a new pack I always put them on my equalizing tray before charging,this should be normal prodedure before every charge.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #3912
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to rcchuckyb

The build price is included in the listed assembled price.
rcchuckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #3913
Tech Addict

Like I said, the discounted packs with low runtime are only listed as unassembled.

"Every batch of batteries has cells that when put through the matching process come out at different levels,this is normal and nothing is wrong with the lower #'ed packs,their just that, lower #'ed packs that's all."
What I mean is do they only have low runtime, or is the IR under par as well? I dont need the runtime, but I just want to make sure they will have the same performance as the other cells of the same voltage during the runtime they do have.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:57 AM   #3914
Tech Master

AE RACER: You should be fine, they will only be lower runtime. If you are speaking of the discounted IB's that are only showing un-assembled....you should be able to have an assembly option in the ordering process(I think). If not leave a note for them (in the message and comments box while checking out) and you should be fine. You can also call first thing Monday morning and talk to Erika and make sure you are straight. The batteries I get usually have a some charge in them. You should be good waiting till Christmas.
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
Old 11-26-2005, 05:19 AM   #3915
Tech Fanatic

I don't get to race every week,especially in the winter,so I put a cycle on my packs say once every two or three weeks? I don't like to cycle my packs but it is the only way I know of to keep them fresh for when I do get to run.My queston, is it okay to discharge on my pro-match smart tray from a full charge? also what is the cutoff for these trays?