R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #2341
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Reviving cells

Thanks for your information. I totally understand the different peaking voltage amongs the cells in my case. I don't really understand the NiMH physic is that, with the Novak tray, it discharge at approx 3A to 0.9V. So what you are saying is, I need a slower discharge current tray to deeply discharge the pack before recharging them. I read the info about the Promatch smart tray, each cell will be discharged through a 0.75ohm resistor. From 1.2V to 0.9V of each cell, the average discharge current is 1.27A. I guess I'll need to try this out. But thanks again for your clarification. I hope I can really revive my packs.

Quote:
Originally posted by promatchracer
On your cells you are doing everything right
But you also need to tray the cells in The Promatch Smart tray 2
Do this after you discharge and let tehm stay in there for 24 hours Than try and charge them up. You should see a good increase in charge time and runtime too

What the pack is doing is something like this

You have 6 cells not working together Like a V6 engine witht he timing off
The Smart Tray 2 is an equilization tray Just like the distibuter on a real engine
If you use the tray it will make the cells work together and perform at there best.

What your packs are doing is 1 cell is peaking before the others. You can tell which one it is by the temp of it compared to the other cells. Your charger is detecting the Average volts so Maybe the other 5 cells aren't close to the same power and that is why your charger is saying it is done

I hope I didn't confuse to much
The jest is use the tray and equilize the pack and your time should come back
desertracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:06 PM   #2342
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

The difference in each tray is that once the Novak tray senses a cell is at the cutoff voltage it will stop the discharge on that given cell. The promatch tray will hold the cell down at that point until removed. You following me? I use both trays. I usually tray on the PM version overnight occasionally adn use the Novak tray at the track just before charging.
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:15 AM   #2343
Tech Fanatic

Wow! All the things you can learn here.
Chill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:51 AM   #2344
Tech Master

har har har....
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
Old 10-27-2004, 09:04 AM   #2345
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Looks like Jay is giving away his secrets.....
Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #2346
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by promatchrcr
The difference in each tray is that once the Novak tray senses a cell is at the cutoff voltage it will stop the discharge on that given cell. The promatch tray will hold the cell down at that point until removed. You following me? I use both trays. I usually tray on the PM version overnight occasionally adn use the Novak tray at the track just before charging.
I think I got it. I put the packs in the bulbs tray yesterday and I'll charge it today. I'll you know the results. Thanks.
desertracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #2347
Tech Fanatic

It may that a few charges so don't be dissapointed on the first time.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #2348
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

Rod- Glad to see you are still around and racing. Not that I thought it would be any different. Sounds like you have big plans for your birthday.

promatchracer-Thank you for the nice comments, it's guys like you that make me miss my job I am really enjoying it here but do miss being in the R/C world. Hope you are doing well.

Neil~ my dad took us to Corpus Christi once and I got stung by a jellyfish!!!! So my memories are not too fond of there. I don't remember anything else about the place but then at 13 what do you remember. How do the wife and kids like it? Good luck in Japan!!!!! Do you have your batts yet????

Hope everyone has a Happy and safe Halloween!!!!!
PMRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #2349
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by PMRGirl
Neil~ my dad took us to Corpus Christi once and I got stung by a jellyfish!!!! So my memories are not too fond of there. I don't remember anything else about the place but then at 13 what do you remember. How do the wife and kids like it? Good luck in Japan!!!!! Do you have your batts yet????
The jellyfish here look like cabbage. I'm afraid to get in the water. The wife and kids pretty much feel the same as I do, I wish we never left Cali. Leaving for the Japan in two weeks, thanks for the good wishes. Unfortunately we have to run Tamiya products, which includes their crappy batts. Their inexpensive and will be used only for that event. How is Ohio?
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #2350
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99
Default Brand new cells - How to break in

Hi ProMatch team

I recently picked up some 1.16+ cells and assembled them into 6 cell packs.

What is your reccomendation for the initial charge/discharge/conditioning of these before using them in a race?

Should I charge at normal current (5A) then discharge (cycling)? Or just charge them and go from there? Typically NiMH cells require a 3 to 5 condition cycles before getting full performance.

Thoughts?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:02 AM   #2351
Tech Fanatic

Charge them like normal. If you are running stock I charge mine at 5.5 amps. Some people charged them at 6 amps. Don't cycle them on a charger. Run them in a car or truck on the track or in a parking lot. It will take about 3 to 4 runs for them to perform like they should. You can look on Promatch website to see how to care for them. After you get a few runs on them, then you can cycle them to see the numbers.

***I don't know what kind of charger you have but keep a close eye on it for the fisrt few charges cause them might false peak.***
Old 10-31-2004, 12:18 AM   #2352
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99
Unhappy

Hey Chill Will

Thanks for the advice. I have an Integy 16x3 Pro 2.5 which works ok but I agree I will keep a close watch on the cell V during the first charge. I am in the process of lookign around for a 2nd charger. I am looking at a LRP Comp 2, Yokomo, Integy etc..

Also looking for that motor run feature. I do like the Yokomo Motor system but its not a charger
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:30 AM   #2353
Tech Master

Rinkrat: I have the LRP Pulsar and love it. Good choice since it has a motor run feature. Good advice Chill!
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
Old 10-31-2004, 06:34 AM   #2354
Tech Fanatic

Old 10-31-2004, 07:56 AM   #2355
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

The 16x2.5,16x3 and 16x4 are all nice chargers but lack the adjustability of peak detection or volt threshold.

The LRP is a great charger and motor run device but I wouldnt be using the Discharger unless this is all you can afford.
You wanna use at Least 20 amps(Stock) or 30 amps(Stock and Mod).

RinkRat99-For the time being on your Integy Charger charge 1 less amp than people suggest.Alot of guys charge at 6.0amps on chargers that are adjustable.On the Integy charge at 5.0amps due to not being adjustable and heat reasons.The Integy 16x5,7 and 9 are all adjustable.Do NOT air cool your batteries during charge or Discharge.Let them cool off naturally.This will rob performance.

On your new packs RinkRat99 simply charge them at 5.0amps on currect charger and 5.5-6.0 on a charger with adjustability.
Run them on the track and then discharge down to 5.4 on 6 cell and 3.6 on 4 cell.
I leave my packs at 5.4(6 cell) till the next time I run them.Before I run them I tray the packs to bring them down and then charge them to run.
I wouldnt advise Cycling packs unless they have been sitting for a long time.If they have been sitting for more than 3-4 weeks you may wanna put a cycle on them midweek before you race that following weekend.

*NOTE*
If you decide on another charger then you wanna set the threshold at 5mv/c or .05.This setting is for a surrounding temp of 75 degree's or cooler around you.The hotter the enviroment is around you then lower the threshold.Like if it's 75+ degree's around you then you wanna drop from 5mv/c or .05 to 4mv/c and .04 and so on.The warmer it is around you simply lower the peak detection or threshold.

Get a good discharger like a Integy Reactor 20 or 30.
If buying new get the 30.

Then find a good Discharge Tray of your liking.
Alot of nice trays out there.

Goodluck with the packs from ProMatch.Jeff Roe is a great guy and sells nice packs.