R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 03-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #256
Tech Elite

Default Dyno label numbers

Guys;

For a STOCK Motor in a TC, the only really relevant number is the Power/Watts. Torque usually follows Watts and differences in RPM can be made up in the Gearing.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:31 PM   #257
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Danny B

Anyone that has any questions or problems with Putnam products, feel free to email me through this board or any other board. I roam them all!

I have been running binary's in 1/12 stock and Stock TC. They are awesome. I will be more than happy to share my motor set-ups, but it is up to you guys to get the gear right and have a good car.

I have been a team driver for Todd for over two years and between modified oval stuff and now running stock road course classes(i have had to mess with stock motors again after a couple years of not running stock)

Stock motors are much better consistency wise these days but you still get a bad apple now and again. And it can turn rotten after it leaves the shop. I have had motor winds shift and throw the balance off once you put a real load on it. I am sure todd would help if you think the product is defective. As far as brushes, like any mass produced product especially with natural materials involved...you will get some batches that run better than others. I guarentee every motor builder that deals with lots of brushes saves certain batches that seem to run better for big races, If they don't they are a fool.

It is true Todd can be a little hard to get ahold of whether it be he is at a race or just busy. There is a high demand for his stuff and he does pretty much all by himself. So there are times when he is winding etc that he can't pick up the phone. He could probably spend 8-10 hours a day talking on the phone and produce absolutely no products.

I got a laugh out of the "only gives the good stuff to the team drivers" comment. It is funny that when one of my local oval guys gets the same mod arms i have, because i tell them what wind and Circular Mill. should work the best. Then they get them and they have the same quality and workmanship as my arms!?!?! Again, every motor builder goes through each can and finds the ones that guass higer and have the straighest magnets. And you will get arms that have a little better inductance readings but everyone does this and if you were in that business you would too!!

Sorry to be long winded but i was bored
Danny B R/C Products,
LRT Raceway, Evansdale, IA
Danny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #258
Tech Elite

Good post Danny, there appears to be alot of bashing going on here just because someone got lower numbers on a read out, or a car is not as fast as other guys. If a car is not a fast, the motor is automatically blamed. They don't take into consideraton drive train efficiency, driving style, batteries, setup etc. Perhaps some people see this thread as a place to vent and/or a place to solve their problems.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #259
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

you are totally correct however i have ran two differnt motors, a regular monster with putnum brushes then the putnum monster and the regular one was by far faster, both in the same car
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:37 PM   #260
Tech Elite

Default One Motor over another

Guys;

Think about it.

All of the aftermarket tuners more than likely buy Motors by the case/box and have no control over what they receive.
Even after tuning and testing, there is still going to be fairly wide variations in samples.

With that said.
Just because your particular Motor has been through the process of XYZ Motors, this is no guarantee that yours will be faster than your Buddies from ABC Motors. This is especially true of Stock Motors.

So don't blame the tuner, they did the best they could with what they had to work with.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:11 PM   #261
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Pops is right. Stock motors vary a great deal. If any tuner only sold motors that performed within a few percent of his "best" motor, he would have a very large pile of unsellable motors laying around. He would then have to charge a astronomical amount for the ones he sold to cover the ones that didnt measure up to his "best" motors numbers. Its a sad fact but thats the way it is. They all cant be the "best" there has to be a range that the tuner feels is acceptable to sell. No tuner would knowingly sell a "dog" since that would hurt their reputation and business.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #262
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Danny B YGPM
Old 03-08-2004, 06:35 AM   #263
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally posted by pballkid21587
you are totally correct however i have ran two different motors, a regular monster with putnum brushes then the putnum monster and the regular one was by far faster, both in the same car
Did you use the same gearing?

I ask because I ran a Putnam Monster stock and had to go up 3 pinion teeth (64p) from where most guys in my class were running and got more speed, cooler motor and faster lap times.

Again, are you comparing apples to apples? Motors aren't all about top speed.

d
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:55 AM   #264
Tech Adept

Red face

dude, it's PERFORMANCE. i don't usually correct spelling but man that's bothering me.

Awolsoldier, I don't have time for correction when I am typing 80 words
a min so if I miss spell a word by one
letter and you have a problem then
you have a problem, because no body
is perfect, so keep your comment to your self because your of no significance to me
or my life.
Dr Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:16 AM   #265
Tech Adept

Red face

Eric, man you guys are so eager to
blast of your anger on someone opinion
if you was reading I said I AM NOT BASHING ANY PRODUCT, the reason I
did the balancing test is the motor was not doing half as good as my reg monster
and I tried everything to correct, so I went and test the balance on the armature and it was out of wack, this is
a FORUM my man so you place your opinion or facts, and I tried to contact
someone or anybody at Putnam and there was no return email or calls
so get your facts together before you start saying that Putnam don't have time
to chit chat, he should have time to chat
if I am a customer who is putting money
on the table, and I don't want to chit chat
with anyone because NOBODY impress me in this hobby.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:16 AM   #266
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Smooth

The reason I did the balancing test is the motor was not doing half as good as my reg Monster and I tried everything to correct, so I went and test the balance on the armature and it was out of wack.
Dr Smooth;

This is very common with Machine wound and balanced Armatures.
In the case of a MS with the lamination stack at a minimum. The Motors actually make MORE power with little or no balance holes. So re-balancing a seemingly un-balanced Arm can actually result in a LOSS of performance.

*I have personally Dyno tested this and believe this is a major reason for the Epoxy balancing in the Binary Stock. To increase performance*
Old 03-08-2004, 09:35 AM   #267
Tech Adept

Popsracer, I think your right.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #268
Tech Elite

Almost all "tuners" supply a dyno sheet with a motor. Unless they are not supplying the actual sheet for that motor, it makes it pretty easy to pick out a good motor, if you know what to look for... Say you are comparing MS motors of the same tuner brand. The motor with say the most RPM isn't necessarily the best motor. Itís a fact that motors with weaker magnets produce higher RPM, but that motor in a car will NEVER rev up because it will have no punch.

Look for good rpm at the highest load, good watts, and good efficiency.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #269
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Smooth
Eric, man you guys are so eager to
blast of your anger on someone opinion
if you was reading I said I AM NOT BASHING ANY PRODUCT, the reason I
did the balancing test is the motor was not doing half as good as my reg monster
and I tried everything to correct, so I went and test the balance on the armature and it was out of wack, this is
a FORUM my man so you place your opinion or facts, and I tried to contact
someone or anybody at Putnam and there was no return email or calls
so get your facts together before you start saying that Putnam don't have time
to chit chat, he should have time to chat
if I am a customer who is putting money
on the table, and I don't want to chit chat
with anyone because NOBODY impress me in this hobby.
LOL...... Maybe you should read what I posted a few times...Maybe you will understand it then. I wasnt bashing you just offering my opinion. And I also dont believe I was "blasting my anger" on you or anyone else!!

If anyone else has questions or comments I can be reached here or email at [email protected]

Thanks

eric anderson
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #270
Tech Master

DR Smooth I think you are reading Eric the wrong way. He is a cool guy and you are blowing up for no reason. I myself have run these products. Putnam and Eric are the best at tuning them. Todd is probably a very busy guy making and marketing the motors that so many people use to win races. He has a national company unlike some of these smaller tuners that show up at local races all the time.

So call and leave a messege and they will return your call or email.
By the way this forum has two buttons one for PREVIEW reply and the other for POST reply..Grammer is also wrong!!!!HEHE
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote