R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 11-23-2005, 07:48 AM   #2221
teo
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K
Teo.....you might want to bump that cut off to 30mv. The packs should peak out at about 135F to 150F. If its temp is colder in the area where you are charging you can increase the cut off so the cells get warmer.
When the packs are not going to be used for 2 weeks or more just put 300 seconds of charge back into them. Make sure that you discharge them before the next charge. If there is anything more you need just ask.

Wallstreet.....No problem....thanks for the Dunkin...
Thanks, a few more questions:

1. I run 3 packs, on practice days I sometimes run 9 packs. This means each pack gets 3 charge/discharge cycles. Is that too much for a pack? Will it shorten its life considerably?

2. After a run I put the pack on the Novak equalizing tray. This discharges at 3 amps every cell to 0.9V. Is it better to first discharge at a higher amp and then equalize the cells? (Since it usually is about 1500 mahs left in the pack which takes 30 minutes on the tray..).

-Anders
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:15 AM   #2222
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

This was posted by Brad...I believe it was for a 4 cell pack. So for 6 cell the discharge is probably 5.4v instead of 3.6V.

"Go ahead and charge them at 6.0 amps with a .30 - .36 peak detect (watch the temp. and adjust from there). When you are done racing, discharge the pack immediately on a Turbo 35 and bring the 4 Cell pack down to 3.60V. The next time you are going to race, go ahead and and put the pack on a tray before you charge them and bring each cell down to 0.0 or 0.1V per cell. Let the pack cool down and then start charging. You should see anywhere from 4000-4400mAhr from the pack."

Quote:
1. I run 3 packs, on practice days I sometimes run 9 packs. This means each pack gets 3 charge/discharge cycles. Is that too much for a pack? Will it shorten its life considerably?

2. After a run I put the pack on the Novak equalizing tray. This discharges at

3 amps every cell to 0.9V. Is it better to first discharge at a higher amp and then equalize the cells? (Since it usually is about 1500 mahs left in the pack which takes 30 minutes on the tray..).
Brad is at the Indoor Nats and Kev is out of town so hopefully myself and some of the other guys can give you decent info.

question 1. Most of us generally run our packs 2 times a day at most. I'm sure you could run more but with less performance. I'm not sure of the long term effects of running 3 or more times a day.

question 2. I believe it's better to discharge after your run at a higher rate then put it on an equalizing tray. You can see what Brad posted regarding discharging and equalizing above.

Teo...do you have any pics of you and other guys running Hurricane cells in Norway? It would be cool to see some of the pics of you guys in other countries.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #2223
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

good job nexus...that is good info...

i too wouldnt run packs 3 times a day, unless it was a old practice pack....

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #2224
teo
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus
This was posted by Brad...I believe it was for a 4 cell pack. So for 6 cell the discharge is probably 5.4v instead of 3.6V.

"Go ahead and charge them at 6.0 amps with a .30 - .36 peak detect (watch the temp. and adjust from there). When you are done racing, discharge the pack immediately on a Turbo 35 and bring the 4 Cell pack down to 3.60V. The next time you are going to race, go ahead and and put the pack on a tray before you charge them and bring each cell down to 0.0 or 0.1V per cell. Let the pack cool down and then start charging. You should see anywhere from 4000-4400mAhr from the pack."

Brad is at the Indoor Nats and Kev is out of town so hopefully myself and some of the other guys can give you decent info.

question 1. Most of us generally run our packs 2 times a day at most. I'm sure you could run more but with less performance. I'm not sure of the long term effects of running 3 or more times a day.

question 2. I believe it's better to discharge after your run at a higher rate then put it on an equalizing tray. You can see what Brad posted regarding discharging and equalizing above.

Teo...do you have any pics of you and other guys running Hurricane cells in Norway? It would be cool to see some of the pics of you guys in other countries.

Thanks for your help Nexus, greatly appreciated.
When equalizing, I have discharged to 0.9V pr. cell, but have heard that discharging to 0.0 or 0.1 might be harmful to the cells. Was that only on older cells?

Here is a link to my local club website with a picture of a few racing buddies and myself (on the right):
http://www.gmbk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...HETER/51017001

If your interested you will see some more pictures of our tracks, etc if you do some browsing on that site.

-Anders
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #2225
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

the newer cells today do not like being brought down that far going with a .9 cutoff per cell is perfect. i have seen people try to dead short these ib3800's and have had a hard time getting them to take a charge again or have ruined the pack. i would not recommend dead shorting ib3800's. hope this helps.

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #2226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Goop did you get that avator from the gobbler? I seem to remember getting hit in the sack ..... by the nutcracker himself
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #2227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goop

now that you mention it my avatar is a cartoon reenactment of what happened on sunday.

TOP Racing - Gravity Rc - Contact tires - KO Propo - Competition Electronics
goop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #2228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mark G

whos heading out to trackside on sunday for racing ??
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #2229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

they will be at irp bud
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #2230
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your help, guys!
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #2231
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Round 1 is done..

Looks like Brad and Drew are doing well....

http://www.rc50.com/results/26TH_US_INDOOR_CHAMPS/

I'm sure all the other Hurricane drivers will be moving up as qualifying goes on.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #2232
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default Cleveland

Looks like Pulfer got the TQ in 12th stock.....Awesome..... and Brad made the Sedan stock and 19t mains.....also Mark Sweeny made the Masters 12th scale main. Good job guys lets see how the mains shake down tomorrow.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #2233
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo
Thanks, a few more questions:

2. After a run I put the pack on the Novak equalizing tray. This discharges at 3 amps every cell to 0.9V. Is it better to first discharge at a higher amp and then equalize the cells? (Since it usually is about 1500 mahs left in the pack which takes 30 minutes on the tray..).

-Anders
Anders.....Thanks and I will just touch on these as Nexus did a good job with the info.

1....Cells really only have so many charges in them until they start to break down and deteriorate so the more you use them the quicker this will shorten their life. The cells will last over 100 cycles but the optimal life span seems to be about 25 to 30 cycles then they start to loose runtime and voltage, but this is all dependant on how you take care of them. If you abuse the packs or race with mod motors lower then 10t the life of the cells gets shorter quicker. How ever if you take good care of the cells and limit the number of times they are run in a day they will last longer.

2....If you are going to use a pack twice or more in the same day there is no need to throw it on the discharge tray just use a high rate discharge device that will discharge at 30 or more amps constantly....not variable then let it cool naturally and recharge it.

I hope this helps......and good luck out there.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #2234
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Kevin, for the race next week at IRP, what traction compound is allowed & how many qualifiers? Thanks. R.W.
Rick Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #2235
Tech Champion

Rick......It would be good to see you and the boys from down state up here....make sure you drag Socko along...lol. You can use any compound that you want at IRP. There will be 3 qualifiers and single mains. At Trackside with 96 guys I think we were done by 7:30 or 8 o'clock. There might be that many guys at IRP next weekend just to give you an idea of time.