R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 01-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #916
Tech Master

Default Re: Diff bolt keeps breaking :Flaming:

Quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy Racer
My front diff bolt keeps breaking and makes my car a 2wd car and it dosnt handle right
THis is like the 4th or 5th time this has happened to me and i cant figure out why? So if any one can help that would be great!!!

Kevin
Hmmmm.....maybe if you stay off the boards...that may be your problem Kevin The car will break if you keep on hitting everything....J/K

Cya at the track! Oh and I said I like the car but still prefer my WARPSPEED!!!!!!

Keep up the good work though BMI your product is pretty sweet!
R/C HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:22 PM   #917
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to wdm80

"My front diff bolt keeps breaking and makes my car a 2wd car and it dosnt handle right"

To which bolt are you refering? The bolt inside the diff itself (the one that holds to two halves together)? I've broken about five of those from over-tightening. Are you putting the spring in the diff? - that could be it.

Will
wdm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #918
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Rowdy Racer:

Hi,
are you running the steel diffs??? I have broke a few with them. a quick fix is to find a small washer that will fit into the longer diff half. then install the spring use plenty of black grease when you build the thrust bearing and build the diff the rest of the way. I found that I was bottoming out the "T" nut. thus breaking the 2-56 bolt. the washer will give you little more space until you bottom out he bolt on the nut. one thing you must do is to tighten the dif a little at a time when you feel a slight drag when you tighten you your diff.

one other question. how many times hve you snapped the head off or somewhat close to it??? this tells you you need to space the spring out a little.

Jay:

I got "FORCED"into working both Sundays. Mini's gonna be pissed as he will miss racing. (Mini is my son's nickname).
I'm hoping I can talk someone into taking him.........
so the chassis really don't need to be shipped out ASAP.

Stephen Baker:

Hi,

Welcome to the team.....(yeah I know it's a little late.sorry)

Joe B:

I hope you have alot of spare time as my list is growing bigger by the day..........I might even pay for one of them......she didn't fall for the "go play in the road" line

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:29 AM   #919
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by TimXLB
[B]Rowdy Racer:

Hi,
are you running the steel diffs??? I have broke a few with them. a quick fix is to find a small washer that will fit into the longer diff half. then install the spring use plenty of black grease when you build the thrust bearing and build the diff the rest of the way. I found that I was bottoming out the "T" nut. thus breaking the 2-56 bolt. the washer will give you little more space until you bottom out he bolt on the nut. one thing you must do is to tighten the dif a little at a time when you feel a slight drag when you tighten you your diff.
I am running the steal diffs. Most of the time the head snaps or twists off. Do i need to add a small washer or replace the stock washer with a "smaller" washer?

Thanks

Kevin
Rowdy Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:01 PM   #920
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Diff bolt keeps breaking :Flaming:

Quote:
Originally posted by RCJohnny
Hmmmm.....maybe if you stay off the boards...that may be your problem Kevin The car will break if you keep on hitting everything....J/K

Cya at the track! Oh and I said I like the car but still prefer my WARPSPEED!!!!!!

Keep up the good work though BMI your product is pretty sweet!
Please explain to me how that bolt would break, by hitting the boards...being surrounded by everything???
Old 01-07-2004, 12:15 PM   #921
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to acyrier
Default bolt breaking.

It's not a matter of the wall actually hitting that bolt, but the "shock" the transmission takes when say, the right tire hits the wall, briefly stops (when striking the wall) and the left wheel wants to keep spinning. thereby kinda shearing the bolt in half. I've been there. I've also broken several dog bones (where the bone meets the axle and that little !#@$! pin breakes through the holes in the bone. ) I have since switched to Irs BIG DAWG bones and havn't had trouble since. I had the IRS composite, but didn't have good luck whth them. Seems I didn't even have to "smash" into the wall, but sometimes just graze it. Since were on the topic of Diffs, I recently rebuilt my diffs using Niftech alum. outdrives and their inner diff assemly. I did not however use their chrome diff balls but ordered ceramic balls from Acer. Simply SMOOTH running diff now. However, after doing both front and rears, was a total of $120 or so. But I have the smoothest diff at our track. Now if I could just learn to drive....things would be great.
www.fantomracing.com - www.discountrcstore.com
acyrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:57 PM   #922
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info everyone. I will see what I can do!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:16 PM   #923
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

CRAZY!!!!
pimpedaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #924
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:16 PM   #925
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Double

J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #926
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i hope its something good
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #927
Regional Moderator

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Racer_Chick Send a message via MSN to Racer_Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by stephen Baker
but somehow I know that you don't spell desguising the way you spelt it, i'm not even sure thats what you meant it was so bad.
Hey Stephen, before you correct other people's spelling, why don't you check your own? lol. I'm pretty sure it's DISGUISING.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #928
Tech Rookie

HEY JAY CANT WAIT TO BEAT ON THAT TC3
UpNorthNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:11 PM   #929
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Rowdy Racer:

Hi,

if you are breaking the heads off the 1-56 bolt you should add a small washer under the spring. what is happening is the diff nut is bottoming out on the threads. by oplacing a small washer under the spring you are getting the same amount of compression on the spring but you are not bottoming the diff nut out.
this was a common problem with the B2's when they first came out (also the Losi LXT's) when we ran stadium with the B2's we would snap the heads off at least twice a night. (foam tires/carpet). try adding a thin small washer under the spring.

acyier is right about "JUST" brushing a board.... that's how we snapped ours off indoors.

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #930
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey, Racer Chick, I bet Stephen can spell PORT 'O' POTTY correctly without his fancy dictionary........ ......I guess that was truly an "inside" joke Hey Jason , since Stephen is on the BMI team now, how about mabe doing a special PORT 'O' RACER team edition kit for him........Im not sure what all you'd like to include........but Im thinking everything done up in a special order "shit brown" carbon fiber would be fitting.........

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote