R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 12-14-2003, 10:06 AM   #646
Tech Adept

Well, it was a rough night all the way around, but I did get to get one good run in with the BMI car.

I had either the module in my M8 going out or the RX in the car going out. I had the glitches from hell! A fellow racer and BMI driver Troy Robinson let me use his MX-3 & RX for the main and my glitch problem was gone. I also switched from a 12double to my trusty 19T Chameleon 2.

The car was simply awesome once I could control it! It railed the corners (bumpy asphalt, low grip on CS-27's) unlike any car I have ever had, accelerated out of the turns very, very well and was very confidence inspiring to drive (after the radio was replaced!)

Here is my starting set-up

Chassis: BMI Racing Ti - Color

Front:
Ride Height: 5mm
Springs: AE Gold
Shocks: TAMIYA TRF Coated
Oil: 35wt
Pistons: 2 hole
Droop: 6
Caster blocks: 0*
Front block: F+2
Camber: -1.5*
Shock Tower: Hardcore Aluminum
Shock Mount Upper: #2 of 3
Shock Mount Lower: STD RTR arms
Camber Link: Upper Row - Outer hole
Sway bar: None
Tires: Take Off CS-27

Rear:
Ride Height: 5mm
Springs: AE Silver
Shocks: TAMIYA TRF Coated
Oil: 35wt
Pistons: 3 hole
Droop: 4
Rear Block: R+2+2
Rear Hubs: Std AE 0*
Camber: -1.5*
Shock Tower: Std AE
Shock Mount Upper: #2 of 3
Shock Mount Lower: STD RTR arms
Camber Link: Lower Row - Inner hole
Sway Bar: None
Tires: Take Off CS-27

Battery: Fusion Team Pack Mounted Rearward
Motor: Chameleon2 19T - Reedy 767 brushes (red/blue springs)
Elecronics: Novak GT7 - Program #7
Body: Associated RTR Body (Sneaky!)

After fixing the radio problem all the AMB transponders went dead for the mains so I never got any actual lap times, other than the radio glitch affected laps in the qualifiers. My best was a 14.4, an excellent lap at our track is in the mid to high 13 second range. Once the radio was fixed and the car driveable, we had a 5 minute play session for what would have been our main and I was running with another BMI car (Troy Robinson) and we could easily take positions from each other and his car was running mid to high 13's in the qualifiers so I'd like to think the car is right there.

I took a couple of ultra hard shots in our play session and my battery never moved and I never broke a driveshaft. I cannot understand how these couple of guys are having battery movement issues. My batt is tight as can be and I took one shot last night that was probably as hard if not harder than any shot I took with any of my nitro cars and the BMI car drove away without so much as the toe-in tweaked!

I will say that the car needs softer springs overall. Other than that it's a rocket... now if I could just drive it!
NitroJohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:02 PM   #647
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

NitroJohnnyD:

Hi,

Congrats on your run!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering if you are using the plastic or graphite arms???
also on your springs have you tried the Assoc reds and blues??? I checked my asphalt TC3 (tub car) and we have almost the same setup with the stock shocks and #2 pistons all the way around. we also used the f-2 block and 2 degree castor blocks.

Eric A:

Congrats on your first time out with the B.M.I. chassis. hope the setup I posted helped. please post any changes you might have made to it.
also what foams did you end up running???

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:48 PM   #648
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Tim yes I pretty much ran the setup you posted. I didnt run the rear tower on the front though. I also went a little softer on oil and springs. Reason being it was the very first weekend on the carpet and we thought he was buying fanfair and it doenst have much traction for 2-3 weeks and fuzzs real bad. But when we got there he had gotten the new calandra stuff like they used in clevland...Traction from the word go!! It was really good.

Track was 36x60, kinda small but very fun, but next time they are thinking of adding another 12ft strip to widen it out a little. Wont be able to run again till after christmas but am going to go with the exact setup you gave since the track has alot of traction.

eric a
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:33 PM   #649
Tech Adept

Eric:

Hi,

The carpet from CRC has tons of traction from the start. we were the 11th group out and we were either traction rolling or up on two wheels on every corner. you might want to look for some older jaco rims for any bigger races you might have coming up. we ended up on Purples and Purple/Oranges on older Jaco rims all weekend long at Cleveland.
The rear shock tower up front moves the upper shock mount inbetween the outer and middle hole on the front shock tower. sotra a fine tunning thing we like. we switch back and forth between both towers depending on the track's bite.
Did you run the stock steering rack???

and finally what did you roll out at wth your 19 turn????

Thanks

Fakk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #650
Team EAM

Yes some of the cars there were traction rolling before the day was out as well!! We only had 28 our first race but it was still a pretty good day. I was running double pink/doublepink orange's all day..I never tried purple/plaids.

I was running the normal steering rack.. Im still trying to find out what advantage the nitro rack has over the stock one??? And I am not sure if the car I got has the updated locations for the nitro rack or not??

Ive never tried to figure roll out on a TC simply because Ive never asked anyone how to do it!!! I know how to do it on a pan car. But I was running a 33/104 with a 57mm tire. Motor was a Putnam D5 Handwound 19 turn with X brushes (the best high power standup brush ever!!).

eric a
Old 12-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #651
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by EAMotorsports
Ive never tried to figure roll out on a TC simply because Ive never asked anyone how to do it!!! I know how to do it on a pan car. But I was running a 33/104 with a 57mm tire. Motor was a Putnam D5 Handwound 19 turn with X brushes (the best high power standup brush ever!!).

eric a
Rollout = 22.73mm
jcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 05:07 PM   #652
Tech Adept

Quote:
NitroJohnnyD:

Hi,

Congrats on your run!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering if you are using the plastic or graphite arms???
also on your springs have you tried the Assoc reds and blues??? I checked my asphalt TC3 (tub car) and we have almost the same setup with the stock shocks and #2 pistons all the way around. we also used the f-2 block and 2 degree castor blocks.
I am using the lowest of the low RTR arms, the plastic ones! I am looking into springs, I think the car certainly needs to sprung softer all the way around. I am also going to switch to the F-0 front block with 4degree castor blocks. The only reason I am going that route is I have 4 or 5 sets of the 4 degree c blocks.

I will continue to work on the car while I start assembly on my BMI Nitro TC3.
NitroJohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #653
Tech Master

Eric:

Hi,

Thanks for the gearing. we run the spec 19 turns at our track. as for the Putman brushes I agree. almost all my motors run Putman brushes when I can find them. we make monster HP out of the old blue end bell handouts with them.

NitroJohnnyD:

Hi,

as for the plastic arms on your TC3 thats what we run on our rubber cars (both indoors and outdoors) as for going to the F-0 block and the 4 degree hubs you should notice slightly better turn in. do you use anything on your tires??? if not try some TQ "BLU". we even use it on our foams at certain tracks.

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:30 PM   #654
Team EAM

What does the nitro rack do for the steering? What are the advantages of it versus the regular one?

ea
Old 12-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #655
Tech Master

Eric:

Hi,

The nitro rack needs less maintance, when installed in the holes on the chassis (like the nitro TC3) it will give more ackerman over the stock rack. the overall feel is about the same when mounted in the holes up towards the "F" block. may require more steering dialed in when compaired to the stock rack. (this depends if you are running the stock Assoc steering knuckles or the Losi steering knuckles).
we have been running it since last year only changing where the holes that the nitro rack is mounted. so far we like it better than the stock rack.
we ran it at Cleveland on the same carpet you run on and ended up turning down the dual rate some.
it's well worth the time and money to try it out.
and with the new mounting holes it works even better.

Thanks

Last edited by TimXLB; 12-14-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #656
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

thanks for the tips tim.im still sick
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #657
Team EAM

Thanks Tim...I got a Nitro rack gues I'll try it next time I run to see how it feels. Is there a way to measure where the holes are in the chassis to see if mine is the updated one or not?

thanks

ea
Old 12-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #658
Tech Master

Eric:

Hi,

The new holes for the nitro rack are down by the servo/ front battery cutouts. I don't have the exact measurements as I sent everything to Jason so he could locate them on the chassis. he should be getting everything on Monday.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 04:47 PM   #659
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey tim,YGM
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:55 PM   #660
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Jason, call my cell when you get a min

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote