R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 02-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #6346
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

David Alford:

Hi,

I remember now......oldtimers has kicked in sorry.

StephenSobottka:

Hi, good luck luck at the "birds" hope to make it next year..... now I need a good reason to pull Mini out of school that week.

fatbear:

Congrats on your win. (again) the TC4 chassis should be out soon. we are testing it on carpet we'll be letting Jason know what changes we made.

Joe B:

You ready for your weekly beating??? to bad we live up in the snow belt. we'd be on rubber tires chasing you around. enjoy your nice sunny warm weather.

Thanks
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:42 AM   #6347
Tech Initiate

Help

Firstly I like to say hi too all you BMI guys. Now I need some help, I've been racing a TC3 for a few years now, and have just got a Blue Bmi tc3 a few weeks ago. Now I wont confess to being the worlds best car tuner, but I've had a pretty good run with my tc3 pretty much always being in the front half of the a main. The original car has always been very safe to drive with great handling, with pretty close to a standard setup, so when I got my hands on to the bmi tc3 chassis I was hoping for even better handling and responsiveness. Just to let you I am in Australia in queensland Where it is pretty warm avg 25-35*c all year. Anyway I built the car too standard settings, and have already played with a few other settings with no luck. The problem is the car seems to have mass amounts of on power push and then of power loss of traction. Now we are running rubber tyres mainly Sorex 28-36 in most classes on outdoor and in door bitum tracks. See I can run the same setup on my tub chassis and the car is great but with the bmi I m having these issues. Now I'm in no means saying that there is anything wrong with the Bmi chassis I'm just dumbfounded why the standard setting seems so far out . I have even tried the oneway to get more steering but still no where near as good. All I'm asking is there some major difference in setup I need to make to compensate for the stiffer chassis or something i'm missing. Has anybody got a proper setup for the bmi for bitium/ashphalt that I can try, I already looked at the Associated setups with no real luck as they are the tub chassis. Please if anybody can help with any advice with real testing experience of this car it would be greatly appreciated, I know alot of u guys are currently playing with the tc4, so I guess this is abit of a old question but mine is the only one around here and I'm ultra keen to get it right so I can really show how good it is! Now I know it was mainly made for carpet but I've read they were even better than the tub on ashphalt as well. Please help and thanks once again for any advice I can get! PS: I love the blue
rs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:24 AM   #6348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rs911.......For asfault, the Barry Baker set-up from the 03 reedy race is usually a good starting point........Even with the (super stiff compared to the stock tub) 3mm upper and lower BMI chassis, My best set-up is usually no more than a couple common changes from there...usually just castor, and mabe a oil thickness change, not much more..........posting your exact set up might be helpful to see if anything stands out to anyone......make sure to check all of the obvious things first......It sounds to me like you have something pretty out of wack for it to act this way..........

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:41 AM   #6349
Tech Initiate

Post Is this right

Thanks for the reply Joe B, my setup is as follows:
Shocks; run 40wt oil no2 piston usually golds frt springs silver rears
shock mounting; rear tower on frt outside hole on frt and rear towers, inside hole on frt lower arms and outside hole on rear lower arms.
kickup; 2* frt and rear.
caster; 4* blocks on frt , might be losi blocks on frt?
camber links; inside lower hole frt and rear, rear hubs outer hole.
camber; 1*-1.5* with sorex 28/ sorex36 b med inserts
toe in; 0* frt and usually 2* rear but have also tried 3* to get more rear traction.
droop setting; no6 on frt no4 on rear using associated gauge.
batterys fwd most times for extra steering
I think thats about it guys any pointers would be great. I did begin with irs alloy diffs frt and rear then tried a oneway diff up frt with not really any better results. As I said this setup on my tc3 tub works pretty awesome thats why I'm a little dumbfounded why it hasn't been as good if not better on the BMI chassis. When u say Barry Bakers setup from 2003 last time I looked he had a couple of different ones for that race, maybe I'm mistaken I'll have to have a look again!
Once again thanks for any advice and hopefully with this info on my setup someone can give me some further advice
Old 02-05-2005, 06:43 AM   #6350
Tech Master

Stock, 19turn, or Mod?

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:48 AM   #6351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default TC4 Chassis

Any more info on availability of the TC4 chassis?

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #6352
Tech Adept

rs911, your setup does not look to bad. couple things I have different:
A: I run a spool up front, helps pull the car through the corners.

B: Try blue springs on the front

c: move the lower front shock mounting to the outside hole.

d: if you are running stock, try 2* castor blocks.

side note If you try a spool take out all the kick up on the front.

Are you using traction compound? What Kind?
moveitorloseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #6353
Tech Rookie

Default BMI TC3 CHASSIS

I have a BMI TC3 CHASSIS ON ORDER, LOOKING FOR INFO ON DAMPERS, ANYONE USING TAMIYA OR OTHER MAKES,
alan orton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #6354
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

The new AE TC3/4 Hard Anodized shock bodies are really nice.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #6355
Tech Elite

Default hey JASON !!!

got you message .. Cant wait till my car looks new again .. talk to you soon ...

PM'D you back bro ..
Old 02-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #6356
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe B
Stock, 19turn, or Mod?
Was running a 11*3 mod but mainly 19 turn class just started this class here this season
Old 02-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #6357
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by moveitorloseit
rs911, your setup does not look to bad. couple things I have different:
A: I run a spool up front, helps pull the car through the corners.

B: Try blue springs on the front

c: move the lower front shock mounting to the outside hole.

d: if you are running stock, try 2* castor blocks.

side note If you try a spool take out all the kick up on the front.

Are you using traction compound? What Kind?
Yes I'm usuig ground fx alot of the time we don't use the stuff due to some tracks not allowing it because of environment issues do u guys think that taking out frt, maybe rear kickup would help. As I understand it from the Associated tuning manual taking it out of the frt makes the car a little to agressive. Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #6358
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i never use any kickup.i only adjust castor with the c hubs.the kickup makes the car seem lazy in the corners to me.i would try running the f-0 block up front with 2 degree c hubs.run the rear short and with 3deg. rear toe in.i also run 5mm ride height all around and 6mm droop front and 4mm droop rear on the AE guage.let me know if this helps
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #6359
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i also run 30wt. oil all around with blue springs in front and silver in rear.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #6360
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Jay - You have PM