R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #1246
Tech Addict

Anthony.. if you are using GP3300s... and want to know the BEST way to charge/discharge your cells... read team fukuyama's recommendations at:

http://www.fukuyamaracing.com
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:52 PM   #1247
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve
Default Re: CAUTION: Very long post

Hello fukuyama racing,

I posted:

it would be nice to have fukuyaka "club series" with like 1.14 batt at low prices for club racers like me...

just a thought (probably hard to find low end batts with GP3300)

And you replied

Quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
==============================================

Super Steve, if you can find me a track in your area with a good turnout, I just might consider that and it would definately be fun too!

==============================================
lol, I think you got mixed up?

Anyways,
Is charging batteries 1 hour before you run it but you repeak it with higher delta threshold before you run your car help the performance?

Also,
Warm battery = more power
is this true for other kinds of batteries or just GP3300s?

And lastly,
Shouldn't cooling batts with a fan considered not bad?
I mean, as long as the user don't falsely think that the whole battery pack is not cooled, I don't think it would damage the battery?

Thank you
-Steven
(whoa, this thread gets posted on very fast)
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:03 PM   #1248
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Man the FedEx guy was suppose to deliver my batteries today. It showed they delivered them by leaving them at my front door. Well guess what no damn package. I'm worried because I have another setp of packs that are suppose to be delivered on Friday. I already called FedEx and they are going to contact the driver and see what is up. Man I never had this happen when UPS delivers to me. Now at this time I'm have 3 packs that area MIA. I hope he know what happened.

I think I will be home in time for Friday's delivery so I can ask him then if I don't hear anything. This does suck big time as I'm really wanting to get these packs because of how everyone is raving about them. Please bring them back!!!!!!!
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:03 PM   #1249
Tech Addict

Quote:
Is charging batteries 1 hour before you run it but you repeak it with higher delta threshold before you run your car help the performance?
This is ok... if the battery has completely cooled, use a 5 mv peak. If the cell is slightly warm, perhaps 4 or 3. If the battery is still pretty hot, 1mv. (edit: make sure you run the pack right off the peak! warm and freshly peaked is the way to go, about 145 degrees F)

Quote:
Warm battery = more power is this true for other kinds of batteries or just GP3300s?
Not sure.. anybody know?

Quote:
Shouldn't cooling batts with a fan considered not bad? I mean, as long as the user don't falsely think that the whole battery pack is not cooled, I don't think it would damage the battery?
You do not want to cool the pack as you charge it, because the cell heating up is part of the peaking process. If cooled, the cells might take more charge then they are supposed to. As they reach max heat, they will begin to peak, and the right amount of charge will go in. If kept cool, you risk over charging the packs.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:04 PM   #1250
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
Anthony.. if you are using GP3300s... and want to know the BEST way to charge/discharge your cells... read team fukuyama's recommendations at:

http://www.fukuyamaracing.com
Thanks Holycow.

I do follow the recommendations from Team Fukuyama and I believe it is the best way to handle my Fuku packs. But I curious the good and bad with different ways of handling these valuable packs.

Anthony
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #1251
Tech Addict

It is also important to let them cool naturally, after you discharge them. (let them sit for a 1.5 or 2 hour time frame) Basically, there is no need to put them in front of a fan ever.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #1252
Tech Adept

Anthony charging at higher rate is not recommend because of risk of damaging batteries.. You need a good charger with reliable negitive delta peak that is adjustable. I have monitored my cell temperate with a Raytek temp gun during charging.. If you can't monitor cell temperate I would stay with 5 amp charge.. I have done tests with different charge rates. And have found the higher the rate the faster the temperate will climb at the end of charge. It sounds like you monitoring packs by the way they feel. That isn't wrong. But if you charge at a higher rate and can't watch them. You will just kill your cells.... And temperate will still climb even after you pull cells off charger...
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:17 PM   #1253
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

holycow, I was refering to cooling them after discharge.

You think it's bad to cool them after they discharge?

Because they get super hot.
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:58 PM   #1254
Tech Addict

Yes... let them cool naturally and slowly.. Make sure they are 100% cool before you charge them again, hence the nice 2 hour wait inbetween charges.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:58 PM   #1255
Tech Adept

Hi Akrcracer,

As you mentioned, high charge rate harm cells. Why you need 7.0A to charge your batt ?? More Punch ?? Quicker charging cycle ??

We use that only when repeak before race, with a very limited time. Then we all reply on our chargers to do delta peak detect then.

Anthony
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:06 PM   #1256
Tech Adept

I charge at 7 amps for a quicker charge cycle... Plus I don't repeak my cells I charge them so they peak a three minutes before race. So I have enough time to put batteries in car and get out on line and race. If repeaking isn't done right you can over heat batteries too.
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:59 PM   #1257
Tech Master

I charge my batts at 5.0A, it shouldn't be a problem right?
horniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:02 PM   #1258
Tech Addict

5 amps will yield slightly lower voltage output, but slightly higher runtimes. If you run stock, you will get better performance from 6amps, but if you run mod, the 5amp charge is better for the extra runtime.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:04 PM   #1259
Tech Master

I'm actually running Novak brushless...
& i think i get enough runtime for the pack, but would experiment with higher & lower amp charging...

would 0.5A increase/decrease result in any/alot of differences?
horniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:05 PM   #1260
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Bubblestc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bubblestc3

Dan told me to charge at 6amps

normally I would charge at 5amps for longer cell life, but then again, I do not match these cells, so that is why I listened to him
Bubblestc3 is offline   Reply With Quote