R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 PM   #1231
Tech Addict

1.) 4 charges is too many in a single day. two is ideal, 3 is max

2.) They perform best at a 6 amp charge. 7amps may be too much... dan? ( i have yet to hear anything about a 7 amp charge rate)

3.) Make sure you are discharging at 30 amps, to 5.4 volts after your run.

4.) Make sure they have had a good 1.5 - 2 hour rest before you charge them for their second run. (natural cool... no fan)

5.) before you charge them, EQ them on a tray... no less then .9 volts per cell, under load

6.) When you charged your pack, they didn't get warm enough. Make sure you dont use a fan. Adjust your voltage cutoff to get them peaking at about 140-150 degrees. This is usually between 3 and 5 milivolts.

Make sure you run them right off the peak, when they are NICE and warm...
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:55 PM   #1232
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guys,

Got my 1.176+ in my Carpet knife last night and had all I could handle and more (racing aganist another who had the newest kenetix cells), both of us were running quad mag 19turns and mine was ballistic!!!!!

Would have won, except my chassis is de-laminating (nice, huh)

Thanks for the great cells!!!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 01:01 PM   #1233
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Quote:
Originally posted by akrcracer
I charge at 7 amps. Voltage cut off .025 with temperate at 125F. It was the first 3 runs. 4 charges total. First was a cycle. I'm hoping they get better as I use them. As for motor? New Quad 19 spec. By the time I was in the A main I figured out how to tune it for touring car.
Charging at 7 amps, that's quite high. I wouldn't go above 6.5. 4 runs in one day are quite high as well. How long do you cool before recharging and do you just repeak or discharge after a run? Gearing of your car could also influence how you feel the cells perform. If in doubt, send them back so we can find out if any of the cells have been damaged.

Sorry to hear of this problem.

John
Old 10-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #1234
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kansasracer
Guys,

Got my 1.176+ in my Carpet knife last night and had all I could handle and more (racing aganist another who had the newest kenetix cells), both of us were running quad mag 19turns and mine was ballistic!!!!!

Would have won, except my chassis is de-laminating (nice, huh)

Thanks for the great cells!!!!!
Great! Glad you like the cells.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:05 PM   #1235
Tech Master

Quote:
I charge at 7 amps. Voltage cut off .025 with temperate at 125F. It was the first 3 runs. 4 charges total. First was a cycle. I'm hoping they get better as I use them. As for motor? New Quad 19 spec. By the time I was in the A main I figured out how to tune it for touring car.
What you are doing is pre-maturely charging your cells and they are not fully charged with a .025 peak. First and foremost, unless you're racing the Worlds which most batteries are ran once only, doing so will really hurt the cells. Second, the peak should be set to .03 to .05 and the temperature should be 145f ideally. Third, you do not need to cycle the cells first because it yields no benefit except working the cells one extra cycle. Four, Running 4 charge on them is too much and will stress and sometimes dramatically lowered your runtime and kill a cell or two.

Regardless how you've handled the pack, I'll still take care of it for you if you choose to send it back to me for to look at and if a cell is dead or otherwise, I'll replace one for you for FREE. I just want to make sure you get the best service and the best performance out of our cells. Anything less is unacceptable by our high standards. We're out to make sure you're happy with our product.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #1236
Tech Elite

Now that is customer service!!! Amazing... I know no other matcher that does this. Try and call others for this support and they'll laugh in your face....or not return your phone call.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:34 PM   #1237
Tech Adept

Thanks for tips!!!!! I feel pretty confident in my ability to charge my packs. If you have done any testing yourself charging @ higher voltages "pack temperate" raise a lot faster than charging at lower ones!!! That is why I charge @ 7 amps with .025 cut off. My pack temperate will be 150F to 160F with in a minute. After pack has been pulled from charger!!! Has far as the 4 charges? One the first was a cycle a day before the other 3 charges.... All my other packs are a year old and work fine..
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:41 PM   #1238
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for tips!!!!! I feel pretty confident in my ability to charge my packs. If you have done any testing yourself charging @ higher voltages "pack temperate" raise a lot faster than charging at lower ones!!! That is why I charge @ 7 amps with .025 cut off. My pack temperate will be 150F to 160F with in a minute. After pack has been pulled from charger!!! Has far as the 4 charges? One the first was a cycle a day before the other 3 charges.... All my other packs are a year old and work fine..
Like I said, there might be a bad cell so no point arguing. Please send it back to us and we'll take care of that.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:46 PM   #1239
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
Regardless how you've handled the pack, I'll still take care of it for you. I'll replace one for you for FREE. I just want to make sure you get the best service and the best performance out of our cells. Anything less is unacceptable by our high standards. We're out to make sure you're happy with our product.
Dan
This is EXACTLY why Fukuyama is the only place to do battery business. Statements like this are UNheard of on any consumer level... Dan. You guys truley are the best. You have me as a customer for life.. period.

Quote:
I feel pretty confident in my ability to charge my packs. If you have done any testing yourself charging @ higher voltages "pack temperate" raise a lot faster than charging at lower ones!!! That is why I charge @ 7 amps with .025 cut off. My pack temperate will be 150F to 160F with in a minute. After pack has been pulled from charger!!! Has far as the 4 charges? One the first was a cycle a day before the other 3 charges.... All my other packs are a year old and work fine..
Hey bro... we are glad that you are confident in your own abilities, but you might want to open your mind a tad and realise that you don't know everything there is to know about how these GP3300s perform, and might try our suggestions before shooting them down. Good luck to ya!

All I gota say is that when I finally got the charge/discharge sequence down on these GP3300s (per Dan's EXACT recommendations) I have never seen so much punch and speed out of my car... These guys do TONS AND TONS of testing and know the exact right combonations to get the best performance out of the cells. And as you can see from his statement I quoted above, these guys are not just in it for the money. They are here to produce a great product, help all their customers to the best of their abilities, and to support/develop this awesome hobby. So needless to say, they know exactly what is best for the cells... Try it out my friend!
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:47 PM   #1240
Tech Elite

Quote:
[BOne the first was a cycle a day before the other 3 charges.... All my other packs are a year old and work fine.. [/B]
Why do you cycle the packs a day before a race? You don't need to do this with the new cells. All it will do is stress the cells. You said it yourself all your other cells are a year old. Those perhaps do need to be cycled but the Fukuyama cells do not.

John
Old 10-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #1241
Tech Addict

free replacement is really something that is unheard of, with no questions asked!!!

three thumbs up to the fuku crew
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #1242
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Fire
three thumbs up to the fuku crew
Third thumb? I sincerly hope it's bigger than a thumb Just kidding fellas.

Keep up the great work team fuku
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #1243
Tech Elite

Maybe he was talking about his big toe?
Old 10-29-2003, 03:19 PM   #1244
Tech Adept

John, That first cycle was just to get cells use to being charged together. It's not a routine I do.. Has far as motor gearing I found I can gear new Quad 19 2 to 3 higher C2 motor... Plus stiffer springs working better in touring car class.. As far as charging yes 7 amps in high but. This has been determined from my own tests. By monitoring cell temperates during charging... That is why you get "recommended"charge amperage from matchers. NIMH cells temperates stay warm until end of charge.That is when temperate start climbing fast. Specially when charging at a higher charge rates. I charge at higher amp rate because I don't want to baby sit my cells for 40 minutes.
Now I didn't come to board to shoot anyone down. Fukuyama sold me to packs with the best numbers I ever had for a price I think anyone could not beat. I would have had settle for Trinity teams packs my hobby shop is selling at 80.00 a pack..
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #1245
Tech Adept

Hi akrcracer,

I am very interested to the way you charge the batt. Sorry that I am only a novice in RC and just curious and ask.

As you mentioned, you monitor the cell temperature during charging. So you'll stop charging when temperature start climbing fast, right ??

Can you tell how much charge can you put in the cells then ?? 3300 still ?? Are the cells fully charged ??

As my experience, when I charge my packs with 5 or 6A, the cell get "warm" during the 2/3 of charging cycle. The last 1/3 cycle get "warmer" and becomes "hot" when finished. I just curious whether the 7A charge cause extra heat that stop your pack charging before it is fully charged.

Just curious, thanks sharing

Anthony
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote