R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-28-2003, 08:46 AM   #1186
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

John Fontaine glad to hear you are ok. IT is ashame that your pretty new car was hit. That always gets my blood boiling when people hit you because they are not paying attention.

I heard rumors that a few battery matchers are shutting down for awhile because they can not get GP3300's anymore since Trinity is suppose to be the sole importer and won't sell them to anyone. Is Jimmy still going to be able to get cells?

You just never know what to believe anymore. I know they guy I was getting cells from (Whiplash cells) that SMC and a few are others are not able to get cells. Anyone know what is going on?
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #1187
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

WYD - I don't think it's cause the driver wasn't paying attention, I think he was. Just he was 17 and a new driver and doesn't have the experience to stop sooner on a wet slippery hill and collided with me. This accident is definately going to affect him in his pocketbook along with maybe having his license taken away.

Fukuyama Racing has multiple places where to get their GP3300's from. They're not dependent on buying from Trinity so you won't see a decline in their ability to produce rocking cells for the consumers.

John

**edited for content

Last edited by John Fontaine; 10-28-2003 at 10:36 AM.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #1188
Tech Adept

Read the bottom of this page. I love the rumors of the RC Industry:

http://www.gpina.com/consumer/hobby/index.htm
spyderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:09 AM   #1189
Tech Elite

This has been talked about before in another thread. Trinity said that GP was going to make specific cells for just trinity...it seems like GP would not but trinity would over label making people believe that the cells were made specifically for trinity by GP.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:54 AM   #1190
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default SoCal last Sat

Hey Johnny55,

I ended up like second to last, I don't know what happened....My car was dialed, my Fuku Packs charged, my motor tweaked, and all of a sudden I get brain fade during the main. Oh well, there's always next week.

I just wish Slim would put me in your Heats; during the last two weeks, I would set TQ, then you would set TQ. It wasn't fair that only you and Jay were the only two in the heat....I got stuck with all the racers who ended up in the B-Main.

I'm still sorting out the Losi, it feels fast, and my lap times show it, but it is taking me longer than expected to find a good starting setup.

Buddha

BTW, I've decided that I've been jinxing myself when I tell you to go ahead...So no more of that this week. No worries, i ain't going to push any battles unless you wanna.....
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:02 AM   #1191
Tech Master

Default Re: SoCal last Sat

Buddha,

I need to tune that motor of yours. You car as dialed, you had the line and the packs but it your trans wasn't spooling up fast enough so you might also want to check your gearings.

Dan

Quote:
Originally posted by RCBuddha
Hey Johnny55,

I ended up like second to last, I don't know what happened....My car was dialed, my Fuku Packs charged, my motor tweaked, and all of a sudden I get brain fade during the main. Oh well, there's always next week.

I just wish Slim would put me in your Heats; during the last two weeks, I would set TQ, then you would set TQ. It wasn't fair that only you and Jay were the only two in the heat....I got stuck with all the racers who ended up in the B-Main.

I'm still sorting out the Losi, it feels fast, and my lap times show it, but it is taking me longer than expected to find a good starting setup.

Buddha

BTW, I've decided that I've been jinxing myself when I tell you to go ahead...So no more of that this week. No worries, i ain't going to push any battles unless you wanna.....
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:08 AM   #1192
Tech Master

Default Re: 3 or 4 charges in a day ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Yuen
Hi Dan,

Can you tell if there is any bad effect if we run the batt more than 2 times a day ??

So far the experience we had, the batt perform best in the 2nd run. How about 3rd time ?? or 4th time ?? Any harm to the cells if we do that ?? Why ??

Assume the batt pack is cool down by fan for 1 1/2 hrs before charge.

Thanks Advise
Anthony Yuen x
Anthony,

3 times is fine but 4 is too much because of the chemicals inside the cells will be agitated. You need to rest the cells 2 hours if you are planning to re-charge it. PLEASE DO NOT PUT ON THE FAN. Let it cool off slowly and naturally. Force cooling will hurt the cells.

1st charge, 5 amps .05 so you get maximum runtime. Rest 2 hours after discharge/

2nd charge, 6 amps .03 so you get maximum voltage. Rest 2 hours after discharge.

3rd charge, 6 amps and let it repeak just like your second charge. Afterward, discharge down to 5.4 and let it rest until the next race day. I know in Thailand it's hot, but DO NOT BLOW AIR OVER THE CELLS DURING CHARGE or PUT ON FAN. The cells are capable of taking extremely high heat without performance degration. Putting on the fan when charging will make the cells overcharge.

Dan
Old 10-28-2003, 10:11 AM   #1193
Tech Master

Default Clairifications

Guys, just to clarify this, Fukuyama Racing does not buy cells from Trinity period. Trinity is NOT the only sole importer for GP. We had contacted Trinity when we first started but they never even bothered to reply. Go figure..................

Dan
Old 10-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #1194
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Buddha,

I need to tune that motor of yours. You car as dialed, you had the line and the packs but it your trans wasn't spooling up fast enough so you might also want to check your gearings.

Dan
Sure thing Dan, Let me know if you can stop by on Saturday, I'll bring them freshly cut. Your right about the tranny not being able to "spool" up fast, I'm thinking its either my belt tension or my rear diff. I haven't driven belt in so long, I've forgotten all my tricks on how to make them super fast.....

Or maybe I should go back to shaft....hmmmmm.....Baracuda perhaps?.....hmmmmm.....Yokomo perhaps?.....hmmmmm....

If I get a Yokomo, do you think you can get me some "factory" help?

Perhaps I need to meditate more before the race. Harness the Chi, and focus it into my transmitter, feel the Chi flow......hee hee

Buddha
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:21 AM   #1195
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: 3 or 4 charges in a day ??

Hi Dan,

Thanks much for your tips.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
Anthony,

3 times is fine but 4 is too much because of the chemicals inside the cells will be agitated. You need to rest the cells 2 hours if you are planning to re-charge it. PLEASE DO NOT PUT ON THE FAN. Let it cool off slowly and naturally. Force cooling will hurt the cells.

1st charge, 5 amps .05 so you get maximum runtime. Rest 2 hours after discharge/

2nd charge, 6 amps .03 so you get maximum voltage. Rest 2 hours after discharge.

3rd charge, 6 amps and let it repeak just like your second charge. Afterward, discharge down to 5.4 and let it rest until the next race day. I know in Thailand it's hot, but DO NOT BLOW AIR OVER THE CELLS DURING CHARGE or PUT ON FAN. The cells are capable of taking extremely high heat without performance degration. Putting on the fan when charging will make the cells overcharge.

Dan
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:38 AM   #1196
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: 3 or 4 charges in a day ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
Anthony,

Dan
I agree with Dan.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #1197
Tech Apprentice

Hi Dan and John,

Nice meeting you at the Toyota Race Dan, and glad your ok John.

Ok, let me get some clarity on a couple of things that were fuzzy for me on Dan's post.

I knew that you never wanted to have the battery on the fan while charging. Would you recommend that you put a towel over the battery or not? I see alot of folks doing that.

My other question is this. Is it a bad thing to put your battery on the fan after discharging when they are typical very hot? If so the reason is that this will cause a degradation of performance/lifetime? Lots of folks do that as well.

If question 2's answer is "no fan" then I would guess it would be best to have 3 packs for short turn around race times so that the battery would have a minimum of ~2hrs NATURAL (i.e. no fan) cool down time to bring them to ambient?

Thanks guys,

Scott
Shayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:07 AM   #1198
Tech Elite

Scott - thanks for the concerns...now on to your questions.

As far as charging with a towel on it, I would only really do this to when it's outside during cold conditions. This will keep the heat within the pack and up to race condition temps - 140-145F.

Cooling with a fan is a common use...the only problem with this is that it's accelerated cooling to the outside of the cell. The internal cell is still active and not at rest. Cooling slowly over a 1-1/2 to 2 hour period without the fan is the best way to let the cells rest.

Depending on your race schedule, it would probably be best to have 3 race packs to have a continous cycle and rest time between races.

Hope this helps, write more if you have any other questions.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:10 AM   #1199
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shayd
Hi Dan and John,

Nice meeting you at the Toyota Race Dan, and glad your ok John.

Ok, let me get some clarity on a couple of things that were fuzzy for me on Dan's post.

I knew that you never wanted to have the battery on the fan while charging. Would you recommend that you put a towel over the battery or not? I see alot of folks doing that.

My other question is this. Is it a bad thing to put your battery on the fan after discharging when they are typical very hot? If so the reason is that this will cause a degradation of performance/lifetime? Lots of folks do that as well.

If question 2's answer is "no fan" then I would guess it would be best to have 3 packs for short turn around race times so that the battery would have a minimum of ~2hrs NATURAL (i.e. no fan) cool down time to bring them to ambient?

Thanks guys,

Scott
The towel over the battery is to keep the heat retained. If I'm right, you want the pack to be about 150 degrees when you go out to run for premium performance.

From what I have learned from Dan, you dont want to use a fan on the packs at all. Let the batteries cool down by themselves and they should give you very good life, and power.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:36 AM   #1200
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Randman.

Scott
Shayd is offline   Reply With Quote