R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-17-2003, 10:02 AM   #796
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

My Fukuyama cells do not get that hot!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:13 AM   #797
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpaton

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
Anybody got any thoughts on this?
From what I can gather, the ICS is just another deep discharge (0.0V cutoff) tray. Some claim that discharging to 0V is good for NiCads, and it may well be, I don't have any data to support or refute it other than a basic knowledge that rechargable batteries really don't like being taken down that far, and that cell reversal is a definite possibility, as is permenant degredaton. As far as their claims about it being special in some way, I don't think it holds any water. Their only real claim is that they use aligator clips instead of spring contacts or thumbscrews to connect to the pack, thus making a supposedly better connection. I don't buy it.

NiMH cells really don't like being taken down to 0V. You're much better off traying them down to 0.9/cell and then removing them, as the Team Fuku crew recommends. If you tray NiMHs down to 0V or dead short them, the damage will irrefutable and irreversable, offsetting any percieved benefit you may get.

In terms of what else is on their site, I'm also not impressed. They seem to have done a fair amount of legwork, but their implementation of their charger and their lack of meaningful specifications on the site still seems very garage-like to me. Maybe it's because I've worked on so many projects that turned out the same way, but I really don't see Pro-Trak as a contender against Integy, LRP, or Competition Electronics.

My very opinionated $0.02

-dave

Disclaimer:
My opinon of the Pro-Trak products is based entirely and only on the content of their web site.
dpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #798
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone know any tray that takes the cell down to .9v with 20amp or more discharge?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:27 AM   #799
Tech Addict

Dapton

Thanks for the thoughts on the ICS. Pro-trak in a way ARE 'very garage' it is a small UK based one man operation but he does seem very knowledgeable.

Here in the UK they are very popular charges, I have one and it seems to work very well, Surikarn won the worlds using one too (my results dont quite match up )

I guess I'll stick with my Realtime 2, seems to be working for me so far.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #800
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Well from another vantage point- engineering would say that anytime a cell has some even if minute voltage in it that is is performing a chemcial reaction which will continually degrage the cell while deadshorting i.e. no voltage the chemical process halts therefore stopping/slowing the process.

$.04
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #801
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Well Pro-Trak is a one man operation but the guy knows what he's doing. He's been doing it for years and offering features in his chargers before most of the top companies like CE.

The ICS charger was designed a while back when NiCads were what everyone used, and people liked being able to take cells down to 0 then dead shorting them. What the ICS does is to help stop any single cell from reversing by stopping each one at 0v automaticly. He's only jus stared testing using it on NiMH's and soon he'll be testing it with deadshorting after.

The Pro-Trak itself has been used by many top drivers, it's got all the functions you could ever need and more. You can check each cell while charging to stop any one from over charging and while discharging so non of them goes below the level you want. I also don't know of any other charger that will tell you if you've got a did cell whilst still in the pack.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #802
Tech Elite

The newer versions of Li-Poly cells are more capable of handling 7-8c discharge. What they are doing is running a bank of 4 cells in parrallell, do reduce individual load on each cell (20 amps would be 5 amps per cell) then running two four cell pank in series. That delivers 7.4 volts, and around 8000mah of capacity. I have seen a test in a Super RS4 (1/9 scale electric) with a hacker brushes 5 turn motor. They said it worked great, and after 20 minutes, the thing was still going strong.

I am pretty Batt. savy.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #803
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Intermision Send a message via Yahoo to Intermision

That would be awsome, imagine the endurence races you could have.
Intermision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #804
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by disaster999
oh well...that goes my project i had in mind! machining slots in a block of alumium to fit 6 cells! and machine fins at the back for more cooling...the cells are way too hot to be handled by hand right after they are charged
Mine don't get hot at all...

Here's my Fukuyama powered R2 WEB Special...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuku cells 1.jpg (63.6 KB, 94 views)

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:23 AM   #805
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Nice cells!!!!
Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 AM   #806
Tech Addict

Don't know if this is the place to post this or not, but another battery matcher has had great success with deadshorting battery packs. They bring them down to 5.4, then to 0.0 or as they say milivolts in a tray (each cell) and then short them till next time they are used. Everyone has an opinion. I will post the link if its OK with the mod of this forum.

I did it with some older 3300 packs and it did seem to bring them back to life. I have the data to back it up. All I did is run them down to .9 per cell, then leave them on a bulb dishcarger until the voltage was pretty much 0. After recharging them the same way I always have. avereage voltage came UP to what they were when new. Runtime came close.

the battery packs were only taking 2600 to 2800 mah charging and puttung out about the same (discharging). After the deep cycle, they took 3800 +- and put out 3200 to 3300.

This is all with GP3300s. I did it with a pack of sanyo 3300s, and it didn't help them at all.

David Root
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #807
Tech Elite

DS will help increase average voltage, but you will lose runtime, generally.

Do this for Stock racing. For mod, I wouldn't bother. Maybe 19t.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #808
Tech Master

Last edited by Maj. Teeth; 02-04-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:20 PM   #809
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had some solid reccomendations on how to build a stick pack. Its fairly simple to build a side x side using the battery bars and a good jig but I need to use a stick pack due to the battery compartment size constraints.

What do you reccomend to use for battery bars?

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #810
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rinkrat99
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had some solid reccomendations on how to build a stick pack. Its fairly simple to build a side x side using the battery bars and a good jig but I need to use a stick pack due to the battery compartment size constraints.

What do you reccomend to use for battery bars?

Thanks
Trinity makes a stick pack building kit. I've used that kit several times... and works great.
but I dont know if they will fit the larger GP3300 cells.
Daniel might be able to help with your stick pack situation...contact him and he might be able have them built for you....

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote