R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-16-2003, 05:34 PM   #781
Tech Addict

Default More......

Some people are discharging the GP3300 packs to 0.0 volts and then dead shorting them. Care of the packs is critical, but everybody seems to have their own way.

I found out the hard way that leaving some charge in the pack makes for loss of runtime. Discharging to .9 volts per cell then storing them seems to work well. I would like to try dead shorting them, but not right now because I don't have the packs to try it on.

I also think the traying thing for 20 minutes before charging works wonders because it "gets the stuff inside the batteries going" before you charge them. I think the Integy torpedo works on the same principal.

I am SURE warm packs from charging have higher voltage and better performance than cool packs. I have proven it to my self.

I am going to buy some more FU packs, but they work so well I hate to try to dead short them. I will try it soon, maybe with some of my older unmatched GP3300 packs.
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:38 PM   #782
Tech Addict

Fuku guys,

After a pack is charged and peaked, is it better to begin your race with your pack already cooled off? Or at peak temps over 100?

In other words, should I cool my packs before I run them. Same question for discharging.... Should I cool the pack, THEN discharge at 30 to 5.4? ( i would assume so )
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:46 PM   #783
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

No. Run your pack immediately after peak. You will get your best performance by running the pack as quickly as possible after your peak charge. Give it a shot and let us know how it works for you.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #784
Tech Master

Holycow, what Rob said is correct.

Randman, can you pm me?

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #785
Tech Apprentice

i usually run them right after they peak (or repeak) but should i let them cool AFTER the run before discharging them even further
lukewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:26 PM   #786
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Dan - Just letting you know I got it, thank you!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:06 PM   #787
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RBLove
No. Run your pack immediately after peak. You will get your best performance by running the pack as quickly as possible after your peak charge. Give it a shot and let us know how it works for you.
Well if the pack comes off the charger at lets say 140 degrees, wont running the packs already hot cause excessive heat? Isn't heat the enemy of cells? I used to put my packs on my fan while I charge them, is this not a good idea for gp3300s, or any cell for that matter? I was always told, the cooler the better.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:09 PM   #788
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
Well if the pack comes off the charger at lets say 140 degrees, wont running the packs already hot cause excessive heat? Isn't heat the enemy of cells? I used to put my packs on my fan while I charge them, is this not a good idea for gp3300s, or any cell for that matter? I was always told, the cooler the better.
Nope, run em' right after the charge. The cells can and will withstand upto 200f . Ideally after the race the packs should be riding at 185 to 200. Your shrink wrap will tighten up real good.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #789
Tech Addict

Do you suggest charging the batteries on a fan? Normally I put the cells on a small fan while they charge.

(btw, I dont add any extra shrink wrap, I just put them together how they come)
Old 10-16-2003, 08:21 PM   #790
Tech Addict

it is not too good to use a fan to blow at the pack while charging, that will delay the peak and may overcharge the cell, and overcharge is no good for NiMH
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 09:03 PM   #791
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

would you use a fan on nicds then?
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:25 AM   #792
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Quote:
Originally posted by Fire
it is not too good to use a fan to blow at the pack while charging, that will delay the peak and may overcharge the cell, and overcharge is no good for NiMH
Fire is correct. It is best not to charge while on a cooling fan. This lowers the pack temp and will put too much charge into the pack due to not detecting the peak via your charger. I have been cooling the pack after discharging but am again going to leave that step out after information that I just learned. Air cool is the way to go This method will take longer to get to your next charge, but it will yield better results in voltage.

John
Old 10-17-2003, 08:32 AM   #793
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
Some interesting stuff!

On the subject of more advanced discharging techniques has anyone used the Pro-trak ICS(intensive Care System) I beleive Integy do a similar device.

You can read about it Here
Anybody got any thoughts on this?
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:53 AM   #794
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Personally I dont think that it relates to the new GP3300's out there. I find the theory of bring the cells down to 0 volts to be deadshorting and reversing the voltage to bad for the cells. It could be good for NiCD's but they're going to be out of production soon if they aren't already. That's only my theory. Personally, I only run NiCD stick packs in my starter box for my Serpent 705. Everything else is NiMH's.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #795
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by John Fontaine
Fire is correct. It is best not to charge while on a cooling fan. This lowers the pack temp and will put too much charge into the pack due to not detecting the peak via your charger. I have been cooling the pack after discharging but am again going to leave that step out after information that I just learned. Air cool is the way to go This method will take longer to get to your next charge, but it will yield better results in voltage.

John
oh well...that goes my project i had in mind! machining slots in a block of alumium to fit 6 cells! and machine fins at the back for more cooling...the cells are way too hot to be handled by hand right after they are charged
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote