R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 10-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #706
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Well, I know on my CE GFX I generally get a peak voltage of 8.8 to 9.0 volts. This is @6 amps with a .04 detect. The charger could be your problem. Charge them on your 16x7 and let us know what you get, I bet that will solve your problems.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #707
Tech Addict

Since I didn't have a real high tech way of detecting the "threshhold" (I am still a novice on how all this works) I understand that most peak detection is done by looking at very small drops in voltage. So I figured, pull the pack the second I see the voltage INcrease stop. (packs slightly warm).

This is the best thing to do right? (at least untill I get my 16x7)

So would you mind explaining

1.) the difference in voltage output between my 2400s and my 3300s?

2.)Why the dramatic voltage differences?

3.) You think the new charger will "Turn the table" for the 3300s in regard to punch?
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:37 PM   #708
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
Since I didn't have a real high tech way of detecting the "threshhold" (I am still a novice on how all this works) I understand that most peak detection is done by looking at very small drops in voltage. So I figured, pull the pack the second I see the voltage INcrease stop. (packs slightly warm).

3.) You think the new charger will "Turn the table" for the 3300s in regard to punch?

1.) the difference in voltage output between my 2400s and my 3300s? you have to compare apples to apples.. Nicad vs Nimh. Nicads has always had higher voltage over Nimh cells

???

3.) You think the new charger will "Turn the table" for the 3300s in regard to punch? Most definately... I have the Integy 16X5V6

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:39 PM   #709
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow

that may not be the best method, coz the voltage curve may be flat for a while during the charge then go up again, that's why there are peak chargers i guess

the voltage difference can due to internal resistance and cell construction

a better will "turn the table" for the new cells in regard to life expectency but puchy or not depends on how you treat the cells and the quality of your cells
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #710
Tech Addict

well, I have two 1.165 packs from Fukuyama, I was expecting to see them far punchier then my Sanyo 2400 Nicads, but they were 10 or 15% lower on the punch rating... I wont pass any judgment until i get them on my nice new 16x7v6 charger.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #711
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to cHckbOY5

should i not pass up on this deal even though, i wont be using the cells for quite sometime?
cHckbOY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:34 PM   #712
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are not going to use the batteries for sometime, then buy it when you are ready to use it. Maybe when it is time for you to buy, 1.17+ packs will be the low end, just like the 1.15s and 1.16 now (which were the high ends just a few months ago). Just my .02.
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:43 PM   #713
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

For one thing,you cant treat the nicd cells the same as the 3300's
The Nicd packs are punchy but the 3300 should have just as much squirt if not more.You are charging the 3300 at too low a amp setting and you need to make sure you get them nice and warm thus you need a charger that can detect threashold drops effectively.

One thing that your numbers are telling me is that there is definately something wrong with your charger or you have fubar'ed your 3300's. Your 3300's should not peak at that high a number.Packs that I have that are bad meaning I don't even use them for practice that often do not peak at anymore then 9.35.Most of my packs peak at 9.00 or less.
2400 are known to peak at over 10volts.Nicd IR are always higher then nmh batteries.I guarantee if you charge them correctly then you will get the results you want.Better punch which for your information is not associated with voltage,but with how low your IR numbers are.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:43 PM   #714
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #715
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
Better punch which for your information is not associated with voltage,but with how low your IR numbers are.
High Voltage AND low IR = punch. The two go hand in hand you will not see any GP's with high voltage and high IR or low voltage and low IR.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:04 PM   #716
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
For one thing,you cant treat the nicd cells the same as the 3300's
I have only run each 3300 pack twice.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #717
Tech Master

Unhappy Oh shoot!

Holycow,

What charger are you using? Make sure the Flex option is turned off. I suspect you've sort of ruined your gp3300 if it's peaking this high. Normally, nicads loves being flexed but nimh hates that and you can probably kill it in one charge.

Here's what you need to do:

1. let it rest for a few days.
2. using a tray such as Intergy Octane 2, bring it down all the way until the lights goes out.
3. let it sit for another 20 minutes so the pack is recooperating. Making sure your pack is not hot nor cold. It should ideally be at room temperature or slightly higher say around 82f to 86f. Don't ask my why because I'm not allow to give out the secret behind this.
4. borrow or charge it on a charger that is designed for nimh and set the peak detection to .03 ONLY! preferrably a turbo 35 GFX. Also get a temp gun and make sure your packs are between 145f to 155f.
5. wait 10 minutes and discharge it at 30 amp down to .90 or 5.4v per pack because yours are teh 6 cell pack.

Considering if you have not yet killed your pack, this is how it would be to re-train the pack to get back on track. If worst scenerio and you're still getting a high peak then chances are, you've ruined it. But........ rest assure, send it back to us and we'll take a look at it to see if we can fix it for you or re-train it with our CET system.

DAn
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:13 PM   #718
Tech Apprentice

i just picked up 2 packs of FUKU cells from my lhs here in wisconsin. i did have to pay a few bucks more per packs but i dont mind as long as im supporting the locals. one of the packs was a 1.176 and the other a 1.177. i cant wait to try them out this weekend at trackside since the most powerful packs i have now are last year's 1.137s .
lukewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:52 PM   #719
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Racers,

Check out the Fukuyama deals on e-Bay. Do a serach for GP3300's and you will see. UNBELIEVEABLE PRICES.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:13 PM   #720
Tech Regular

Default Thanks Rob

Good mornig and Thanks Rob for pointing it out. Dan did this to get more exposure with non RCTECH racers. LOL

I just got an email from Daniel that we're currently over stocked with high number 1.16s and 1.170~1.174s so I'm going to GIVE AWAY a pack or two this week to rctech racers!

Anybody got any idea how to go about the fairest way to do this? Let's hear some comments and suggestions.

Jimmy Fukuyama
P.S. Suggestions cut off at midnight Friday Oct. 17, 2003
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote