R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 12-04-2004, 12:16 AM   #6091
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jackfast
Why risk it when there are many more ways to be fast?
Exactly!
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:20 AM   #6092
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ok

you answered my question. deleted..

Last edited by RCknight; 12-04-2004 at 01:47 AM.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:26 AM   #6093
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Ok thanks Jon Kerr.

One more thing, I can't afford a high priced charger/discharger. Can I make a 20-30 amp discharger that will have a cut off of 5.4v? If so what do you recommend? Jon what do you recommend for an equalizer tray that has a cut off of .90 per cell?

Last edited by RCknight; 12-04-2004 at 01:46 AM.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:41 AM   #6094
Tech Fanatic

Jon Kerr, you're my hero!

Just kidding.

Actually, Jon's advice is on the mark. That's how I treat my cells and they last a long time.

Unfortunately, keeping good cells at their peak performance requires some specialized equipment. It may be expensive at first, but in the long run, you'll be glad you bought it as your cells continue to provide you with excellent performance.

Rob
(The Racer Fomerly Known as Losirob)
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:28 AM   #6095
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Mincey
Jon Kerr, you're my hero!

Aw shux!

If you really can't get a good high end charger with a discharger, I think Deans makes a light bulb discharger with a cutoff device on it. Not too sure though. Rob is right though. You have to look at it as an investment. You're expensive batteries will thank you for it.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:32 AM   #6096
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Kerr
You don't want to take them to 0.0 ever. Here's the procedure we recommend.

Discharge the pack to 5.4 volts. (.9v per cell) and store it. You'll notice on the display if you're using a discharger like the one on a GFX or any charger with a display and a discharger, (which I recommend looking into as an investment if you don't already have one) as soon as the discharger hits 5.4 volts it will stop and the voltage on the pack will bounce up to about 7.2. This is what's called voltage bounce. It's normal. Store your cells in this state making sure they're cool before you put them in any enclosed case. When you get to the track and you're getting ready to charge the pack, put them in a tray with a .9v cut off per cell. The difference here is that you're using an equalizing tray to drop each cell to .9v. When you discharge the pack on your regular discharger to 5.4, you could have one cell at 1.1 and one at .7. They're not equalized. So put the pack in the tray to equalize the cells to .9v per cell. Once they're equalized, take it out and hook it up and charge it. After you've run the pack, hook it up to the discharger to discharge the PACK to 5.4v again, let cool and store. Discharging the pack should be done with a discharger that can do 20-30 amp discharge rates and has a cut off of 5.4v across the pack. This is how the cells are matched and trained and it's best to continue with that. I don't like to run my packs twice in a day but I don't need to either. I realize a lot of people do need to though. If you do need to, make sure they have enough time to get completely cool before charging them. And never force cool your cells with a fan. It can cause an imbalance inside the cell and shorten the life of the cells. 2-3 hours is a good rule of thumb for cool down time between charges. Hope that clears it all up for you.

Damn, did I just write all that?!
This guy knows what he is talking about but I would like to add one more thing. It is not okay force cold temperatures on your batteries during the charging process. Do not put a fan on your batteries. You can, however, put a fan on your charger, and powersupply to keep your unit from false peaking. It is more important to keep your charger cool with a fan than your batteries.
jackfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #6097
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jarkkom

RCknight :

You don't necessarily have to get a 30A discharger.. Just get a mentioned Rayspeed or the Novak discharger and you are all set.

I know it would be better for the cells to be discharged at 30A after the heat but in the mod you hardly have any juice left at the batteries after and in stock you should be competing at a high level to see/feel any difference of the 30A versus 5A discharge.
jarkkom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #6098
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

Question: If i have some older fukuyamas i wanna try, should i tray them to 0.1v on my smart tray? It sounds about right to me to do that and then repeak it. Could someone check me on this?

Thanks

Jon
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:53 AM   #6099
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

You can if you want. I don't see how that will revive them at all. If they're old and worn out, not much you can do to them other then using them as practice packs. That's what I do with mine

My Fukuyama HQ cells are still incredible. My BMI Xray has the power on tap any time I need it. I did a bunch of changes to my car that I now need to change some driving styles but it's getting faster and faster each week on carpet.

Happy Racing and thanks for your continued support.

Jon Kerr - LOL, you're giving away all your fast battery secrets to the masses
Old 12-06-2004, 09:22 AM   #6100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So does the Rayspeed disharger work like a Trinity realtime, but has a cut off voltage so I don't have to sit and watch the light bulbs. I'd rather go a little cheaper and get the Rayspeed over the Smart Tray. But if the Novak is better I don't mind spending the cash.
Scrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #6101
Tech Elite

You don't have to babysit the Rayspeed. I have the tray and love it. Hit one button and it equalizes and then sits ready for you to take it off the tray and charge it up. The Trinity discharges down to 0.0 so you still need to keep an eye on it. The Novak has auto cutoff like the Rayspeed so you don't need to babysit that one either. Rayspeed is cheaper then the Novak and smaller too. Both are very good dischargers.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #6102
Tech Fanatic

Both of them are good dischargers, I think it just boils down to personal preference. Regardless of which one you choose, you'll be happy with it.

If you go with the Novak and run the LRP/Orion bullet connectors, you'll have to open the ends of the unit to slide the end prongs down to allow for that, but it's not hard.

Rob
Old 12-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #6103
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by John Fontaine
Jon Kerr - LOL, you're giving away all your fast battery secrets to the masses
Just trying to help out our loyal customers
Old 12-06-2004, 01:23 PM   #6104
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Kerr
Just trying to help out our loyal customers
Now that's dedication
Old 12-06-2004, 05:24 PM   #6105
Tech Fanatic

Orrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe Jon's so fast, he can afford to give away his speed secrets?

Jon - drove an Mi2 last week for the first time. Impressive... and, that's coming from an XRay guy.

Rob