R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 07-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #5431
Tech Adept

donoman - not equalising the batteries shouldn't harm the batteries too much in the short term, but the sooner you can get a tray the better. a 20A bulb discharger is great if it has any kind of cutoff device attached. if not, you need to be very careful not to over-discharge the packs. again, the sooner you can get a proper discharger the better. I'd either get the 1.17's or get three 1.165's and use the rest of your money for something else. You don't really need more than three packs (i only use 2)

losixxx - look up (or maybe a page or two back) for details on that. 30A is what fukuyama believe is best and will be using, and that's good enough for me.
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:52 PM   #5432
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

30 amps is what the cells are trained at. However, if you're just running stock, 20 amps isn't really a bad thing. The light bulbs will work, but like Rory said, you have to be VERY carefull not to over discharge the cells. Personally if I were in your situation, I'd get 3 of the 1.165's and use the extra money to get a Rayspeed tray. You won't really notice much of a difference if you've only been racing for a few weeks between them and the 1.17's. If you have to use the bulbs, only let them discharge until it starts to dim slightly. No More than that. Then put them on the Rayspeed tray on the 5 amp setting to take them down the rest of the way. Let them cool and store. Then use the tray again before your next charge. I wouldn't reccomend running your packs more than twice in a day.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:02 PM   #5433
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to losixxx

thanks
losixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:17 AM   #5434
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by donoman
I am going to buy my first set of batteries this weekend, Fukuyamas at my LHS. The price is right, even for a newbie green with only 3 wks experience.

Just wondering how bad it is to not equalize the batteries (don't own an equalizer) and how bad is it to discharge them using a 20A bulb tray (made one).

Also, I'm running 27T stock. Will I notice the diff with the 1.17 pack vs. the 1.165? I'm thinking if I get the 1.165 I can purchase 4 packs but if I get the 1.17's I can only buy 3.

Thanks for your advice.
Great to be able to talk to the owner.
If i were you, i'd get the 1.165 and get 4. First you'll get more tracktime use 4 batts and second, you (with your "limited" experience) won't feel the difference. Later on when you get better you'll want new batts anyway, so go for the 1.17's then.
At the point you are now (still learning the ins and outs of RC) its better to get tracktime then all out speed.

My 2 cents.

btw, good choice on the Fuku's.
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:37 AM   #5435
Tech Regular

Dan , You have a PM .....................
RCsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:47 AM   #5436
Tech Elite

I'll second RC Harddriven.

Personally, I'm using the 1.160-1.164. I'm following the Fuku reccommendations, and the volts have raised with approx. 0,1 volt going through 15 times use. The first data I recorded was after 3 runs, that is, when the pack is runned in. The IR has also lowered a little.

So by getting the good stuff for proper care, you'll actually get better number over time.

So I can only recommend getting a discharger with auto cut off and an active equalizer.

Integy got an discharger called Reactor. It can be purchased in both a 20 amp and 30 amp version. It goes for around 40.

The Rayspeed Equalizer is also nice.

So better get a cheaper batts, and also get at least an equalizer (the batts can be discharged in the car - run it till it slows down, but stop BEFORE it just crawl)
Old 07-31-2004, 03:19 PM   #5437
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
...I'm following the Fuku reccommendations, and the volts have raised with approx. 0,1 volt going through 15 times use....
A little typo here: The volts have raised with 0,01 volt, not 0,1.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:23 PM   #5438
Tech Adept

Default Need help keeping my Fukuyama's in shape

Hello, after trolling this thread for some time, I finally decided to purchase some Fukuyama Batteries.

Here is my question:

Regarding equilizers:

I still own an older Integy Booster-R with the 5.5a bulbs. Looking at the Integy site I can probably purchase 2a bulbs or if I look hard enough on the web, maybe 1a bulbs for the tray. Can I use this tray to equilize my packs? If no, please give real info on why this will not work.

My alternative is to purchase the Novak Discharge tray or the Yokomo Rayspeed tray. Beside preference, is there any reason why one would not work over the other. How are these any different than the Much-More Racing Trays [I will be going to Japan and I know where I can pick one up before I come home on my business trip]

Are these all the same and can I use any of the above?

Thanks in advance
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:54 PM   #5439
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default hey dan

Hey Dan I just wanted To say THanks for the power for this weekend race at HITEC.
It put in the A mains in both 19t and pro stock !!!! the packs are awsome .

talked to you soon

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)

Last edited by howard hudson; 08-02-2004 at 08:49 AM.
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:13 PM   #5440
Tech Champion

Default Re: Need help keeping my Fukuyama's in shape

Quote:
Originally posted by LeadFoot
Hello, after trolling this thread for some time, I finally decided to purchase some Fukuyama Batteries.

Here is my question:

Regarding equilizers:

I still own an older Integy Booster-R with the 5.5a bulbs. Looking at the Integy site I can probably purchase 2a bulbs or if I look hard enough on the web, maybe 1a bulbs for the tray. Can I use this tray to equilize my packs? If no, please give real info on why this will not work.

My alternative is to purchase the Novak Discharge tray or the Yokomo Rayspeed tray. Beside preference, is there any reason why one would not work over the other. How are these any different than the Much-More Racing Trays [I will be going to Japan and I know where I can pick one up before I come home on my business trip]

Are these all the same and can I use any of the above?

Thanks in advance
The problem with the indy trays is they don't have a cut off for the cells. I think they just released a brand new one though that does. I would reccomend the Rayspeed or Novak either one bacause they have voltage cutoffs. GP3300's don't like to be over discharged. It will shorten the life of the cell as well as give you less runtime.

The reactor dischargers work but I had one burn itself up in a month. They get very hot and even with the big fan that they have on them, the one I had litterally burned through the metal contact bars inside. If you have a charger that has a discharger, I'd use that to drop it down to 5.4 volts.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:04 AM   #5441
Tech Adept

jkerr0043:

Thank you for the reply. I have a Turbo 30 that I can use to drop the voltage down to 5.4 before I tray and I also have a bulb discharger with a deans black box cut-off that works just as well.

I was hoping to save some money on the tray but I understand the issue. I think I will see where I can pick-up a Novak.

The only conflicting information I continue to read is, do I take it down to 5.4v with a charger or bulbs, or do I take it all the way down with a tray. Seems to be mixed opinions
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:14 AM   #5442
Tech Champion

It's better to take them down to 5.4 with the discharger, or your bulbs with a 5.4 cutoff, first. This will take them down at or about 20-30 amps. This is closer to how they'll be discharging in the car. You want to use the tray before your first charge of the day. No need to tray them after running them when you're going to store them. When they sit for awile, because each cell is slightly different, they will become un-equalized as they're stored.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 AM   #5443
Tech Fanatic

Jon - the new Integy tray you mentioned is supposed to have the same internals as the Rayspeed one. I, however, am not a fan of Integy trays. I've had two of them burn up on me.

I own the Novak tray and I've used the Rayspeed tray. Both are excellent.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:35 AM   #5444
Tech Champion

I don't like to badmouth any company, but I have said it before, I personally have had nothing but bad luck with Integy products. I'm sure they make a quality product, but I'd rather stick to a company like Novak or Rayspeed.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #5445
Tech Fanatic

Fukuyama cells are the tamiya UK eurocup champions Wraped up the series today and crikey the cells have some horse power, the best batteries i have ever used. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote