R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions

Old 07-28-2004, 06:58 AM   #5386
Tech Elite

Hello Fukuyama

Are you guys able to sell a couple of single cells? Need them for repairing a pack which I've damaged...

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #5387
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
We are not planning on going to the 35 amp discharge process because of various reasons posted on the previous pages. The yield is no different than a 30 amp process. I see that the cell takes a hard enough toll at 30 amps for a full 5000 runout. The numbers at 35 amps will be lower than a 30 amp cell. That will be the only difference.
what you mean or suggest to stick on 30 amps matching?
just asking question to clarify or clear out thing on what better process of matching cells.
rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:18 AM   #5388
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by rice
what you mean or suggest to stick on 30 amps matching?
just asking question to clarify or clear out thing on what better process of matching cells.
from the FUKUYAMA web site

Regarding 35 amp discharge

June 10, 2004 - 1:00pm

First, I'd like to say that these are solely based on our findings and is our own conclusion of what the process does and does not. For those who are wondering why we haven't gone with the 35 amp discharge, there are other reasons that we are considering and may or may not go with this route in the future. Since our testing have started last year before the Snowbirds, we've had some pretty thorough testings on the GP cells from low range to HV (high voltage) range cells. These were also done alongside with our CET 4 machine and hooked up with an HP Scope for genuine readings. Please understand since we want to be Politically Correct, we are not going to name other matchers and how good/bad the process is. Just a more textbook type of research from Fukuyama Racing for the time being.

1. If I'm correct, the only way to obtain 35 amp discharge on the CE Turbomatchers, it requires the newer generation of matchers from CE. Those are exactly what we have been using since most if not all of our matchers were purchased brand new last year while our older ones was sold to other parts of Asian. Some would have a discharge cap of only 30 amps. While the newer generation can be adjusted to higher discharge rates.

2. While last year, we've also been cycling and testing all team packs at 35 amp discharge. Some of the packs also brought our drivers like Chris Tosolini, Rob Love, and other known drivers in the main each and every time. This to say that discharging at 35 amps is better is untrue. Although it does weed out the weaker cells, it is sometimes not reading what we've expected. This is because some cells will never see 35 amp of discharge while some might see more depending on the racing formats and motors. For a cell to withstand 35 amps, it isn't hard at all. Most if not all new GP cells will easily meet or exceed 35 amps of discharge with only a few venting due to the amp draws. So again, it is only a minimal benefit.

3. With that said, cells discharged at 35 amps will have a lower runtime number and voltage. For stock racing, this has no performance gain that we can justify. For mod racing on the other hand, it will allow you to see a truer runtime since the discharged amp is at 35. But will this be beneficial? Not really at the moment. Simply because if you take a cell that is rated at 430 runtime at 30 amps, you'll see 350 runtime at 35 amps. Now, if that same cells goes back to 30 amps discharge, it'll read 430 again. So to us, it's more of a numbers game with some new marketing strategy rather then improving any performance gain per cell. Again, please understand this is our testing results and what we've found so far in the last year and is NOT talking about why others are doing this. Also, the fact that since GP cells can handle even 40 amp discharges, why not go with 40 amps instead??? Well, not all application requires that. With stock classes and other non-mod classes still dominating the market, those will not see the runtime being an issue nor having any benefit in gaining any performance regardless if it's matched at 30 amps, 32 amps, 35, amps, 37 amps or even 40 amps. I'd say, to us, we're sticking with 30 amps discharge for now...

Lastly, will we sell more packs if we went with 35 amps? or even 40 amps discharge? I won't bet on that. IMO.

Hope you guys find this useful. We at Fukuyama Racing are always testing new methods as well as ways to improve on Performance. There are times when one batch is better the others and treating the cells requires a slightly different method from time to time. But so far, we've considered ourselves doing a decent job and willing to bet it'll only get better as we go.. Good luck on your decision and thanks for your support.

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #5389
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
from the FUKUYAMA web site

Regarding 35 amp discharge

June 10, 2004 - 1:00pm

First, I'd like to say that these are solely based on our findings and is our own conclusion of what the process does and does not. For those who are wondering why we haven't gone with the 35 amp discharge, there are other reasons that we are considering and may or may not go with this route in the future. Since our testing have started last year before the Snowbirds, we've had some pretty thorough testings on the GP cells from low range to HV (high voltage) range cells. These were also done alongside with our CET 4 machine and hooked up with an HP Scope for genuine readings. Please understand since we want to be Politically Correct, we are not going to name other matchers and how good/bad the process is. Just a more textbook type of research from Fukuyama Racing for the time being.

1. If I'm correct, the only way to obtain 35 amp discharge on the CE Turbomatchers, it requires the newer generation of matchers from CE. Those are exactly what we have been using since most if not all of our matchers were purchased brand new last year while our older ones was sold to other parts of Asian. Some would have a discharge cap of only 30 amps. While the newer generation can be adjusted to higher discharge rates.

2. While last year, we've also been cycling and testing all team packs at 35 amp discharge. Some of the packs also brought our drivers like Chris Tosolini, Rob Love, and other known drivers in the main each and every time. This to say that discharging at 35 amps is better is untrue. Although it does weed out the weaker cells, it is sometimes not reading what we've expected. This is because some cells will never see 35 amp of discharge while some might see more depending on the racing formats and motors. For a cell to withstand 35 amps, it isn't hard at all. Most if not all new GP cells will easily meet or exceed 35 amps of discharge with only a few venting due to the amp draws. So again, it is only a minimal benefit.

3. With that said, cells discharged at 35 amps will have a lower runtime number and voltage. For stock racing, this has no performance gain that we can justify. For mod racing on the other hand, it will allow you to see a truer runtime since the discharged amp is at 35. But will this be beneficial? Not really at the moment. Simply because if you take a cell that is rated at 430 runtime at 30 amps, you'll see 350 runtime at 35 amps. Now, if that same cells goes back to 30 amps discharge, it'll read 430 again. So to us, it's more of a numbers game with some new marketing strategy rather then improving any performance gain per cell. Again, please understand this is our testing results and what we've found so far in the last year and is NOT talking about why others are doing this. Also, the fact that since GP cells can handle even 40 amp discharges, why not go with 40 amps instead??? Well, not all application requires that. With stock classes and other non-mod classes still dominating the market, those will not see the runtime being an issue nor having any benefit in gaining any performance regardless if it's matched at 30 amps, 32 amps, 35, amps, 37 amps or even 40 amps. I'd say, to us, we're sticking with 30 amps discharge for now...

Lastly, will we sell more packs if we went with 35 amps? or even 40 amps discharge? I won't bet on that. IMO.

Hope you guys find this useful. We at Fukuyama Racing are always testing new methods as well as ways to improve on Performance. There are times when one batch is better the others and treating the cells requires a slightly different method from time to time. But so far, we've considered ourselves doing a decent job and willing to bet it'll only get better as we go.. Good luck on your decision and thanks for your support.
hey FUKUYAMA racers! I no I don't visit often but I just wanted to say hi and even tho I didn't that great at the nats I just wanted to say that my bats were really good, I thought they were the best one I had all year... they had so much power...to bad it didn't show in the result, but they were great!!
later, Chris Tosolini
Chris Tosolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #5390
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wouldn't say you did too bad for the first big race with the new car. You still did a good job. How's the new car treating you so far?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:20 PM   #5391
Tech Elite

howard hudson,

thanks man for that post from fuku web.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 PM   #5392
Tech Elite

Chris Tosolini,

thers always be a nxt time. with great batts on your side thers nothing to worry abt..

Last edited by rice; 07-28-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:05 AM   #5393
TC3
Tech Regular

at speedtech there are 1.17 packs aviable.
how do they performe compared to orion 1,19v orion batts.
orion are matched with a lavco system, so u can't compare those numbers, thats why i ask how they perform.
thx

do the cells come in rainbow color or in the green/yellow shirk?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:37 AM   #5394
Tech Adept

Tc3, if you want to know just try a pack and you will know, simple.
Dr Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:12 AM   #5395
TC3
Tech Regular

i live in europe, and if i order from the u.s. , i will order 3 or 4 packs, because of the shipping costs..
and i don't wanna buy 4 flat packs, thats it..
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:34 AM   #5396
Tech Elite

There's a distributor in Denmark. www.a-rc.dk The page can be viewed in English and he accepts euro...
Old 07-29-2004, 06:39 AM   #5397
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I believe team driver PeterCR is a distributor in holland? You can PM for info.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:04 AM   #5398
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just bought my first Fukuyama pack this week, and although I havent run it yet I was very impressed with your ultra fast service. In 48 hours from my placing an order online I had a fresh soldered pack on my door step waiting for this weekend's race.
I opted to let you guys solder it for me, and the joints almost look machine done.

Anyways I did have a question for you guys concerning equalizing Ni-Mh on a discharge tray. I just picked up an Integy Activator tray, and was hoping to use it on some older 3300 HV celled packs that I picked up second hand. I am a bit unsure about using it though, as I was always told to Never discharge my Ni-Mh packs past 0.9V a cell, and the tray has a cut off @ 0.0v

Is it okay to tray my Ni-Mh HV packs down to 0.0v ? What about my new GP cells I just bought? Or do I have to modify my tray's diodes for a higher cutoff point?
Speedyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #5399
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wouldn't use that tray for your 3300 cells. Invest in a good tray with a .9v or adjustable cutoff. I use the Rayspeed and love it so far and the Novak tray is also a very good product. Plus it just looks cool. You can get both at www.speedtechRC.com.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #5400
Tech Elite

SpeedJay, you'll get different and very strong opinions on this. The dead-shorting guys will claim you'll gain more voltage and less runtime, by taking them all the way down to zero volt. And then there's people like me, which prefers to be on the safe side, and use an auto cut off device.